Thread: .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Das Boot Rules! Next to Kolob Canyon, it's my favorite canyon!!!

I love all those downclimbs! Did you see the arch, when you were in the Subway? It's hard to see, unless you know where you are looking.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Das Boot Rules! Next to Kolob Canyon, it's my favorite canyon!!!

I love all those downclimbs! Did you see the arch, when you were in the Subway? It's hard to see, unless you know where you are looking.

g.jpg
    Nope...we must have walked or swam right past the arch...
    So did I the first couple of times through there...... but now I know! I love arches and I thought it was cool there is an arch right there.

Re: Das Boot/Subway TR

We were a little worried on the hike in that we were in the right place. Our fearless leader had a GPS and led us right the spot before we lost complete faith.
    Ye of little faith

Nice pics. I particular like the ones shot from water level. That's an interesting perspective.

We did the full meal deal Das Boot/Subway in July.
    Technically the full meal deal would be the full left fork, which it seems like a lot of people don't even know about. There is a log of really good canyon above Das Boot, a really nice narrows/pothole section with four or five rappels, some really pretty open narrows with LOTS of swimming, then Das Boot and the Subway. It's a really long day but you all should consider it sometime, very good when the canyon is holding a lot of water. Kelseys book mentions a difficult to trace route into the upper canyon, or it can be done from the West Rim Trail, I'm sure people here can give more info on how to do it from the West Rim. Awesome pictures by the way, thanks for sharing, I need to do that one again this summer.

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    We did the full meal deal Das Boot/Subway in July.
    Technically the full meal deal would be the full left fork, which it seems like a lot of people don't even know about. There is a log of really good canyon above Das Boot, a really nice narrows/pothole section with four or five rappels, some really pretty open narrows with LOTS of swimming, then Das Boot and the Subway. It's a really long day but you all should consider it sometime, very good when the canyon is holding a lot of water. Kelseys book mentions a difficult to trace route into the upper canyon, or it can be done from the West Rim Trail, I'm sure people here can give more info on how to do it from the West Rim. Awesome pictures by the way, thanks for sharing, I need to do that one again this summer.

Eric.
    Kelseys route while difficult to follow is fantastic. As mentioned above there are some great potholes and narrow sections. Highly recommended.

Technically the full meal deal would be the full left fork
    Actually.... only the lower set of narrows is reffered to as "Das Boot" and the full meal deal would be combining it with Subway. I believe this is the most enjoyable route for most canyoneers. Yeah it might miss a few things... but it also makes a more reasonable day.

Now.... If your Left Fork day is not already long enough.... there are several technical entrances to the Full Left Fork. Maybe we should call this Super Sizing the Left Fork :-)

I believe Tom has the "Little Blue" entrance noted under his Right Fork route description. If you want to see the other tech entries just look to the south of Little Blue on a map.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Maybe we should call this Super Sizing the Left Fork :-)
    I think that's a good thing to call it because your right, it's a REALLY long day! If you wanted to see the upper canyon but didn't want the super long day you could exit out the trail hikers use to access the subway just after finishing the Das Boot section.

If you wanted to see the upper canyon but didn't want the super long day you could exit out the trail hikers use to access the subway just after finishing the Das Boot section.
    I'm curious which entrance folks have used when doing the Full Left fork?

Also... have you guys actually hiked out the Subway entrance? That is a bitch. It's a lot longer going out then coming in

Also... have you guys actually hiked out the Subway entrance? That is a bitch. It's a lot longer going out then coming in

The group I was with used Kelsey's entrance, which I liked: very scenic, little bush bashing, and just over 2 non-hurried hours to near the Seeps. We entered the drainage adjacent to point 6095. We started from the normal Subway trailhead (Wildcat Canyon I think), originally because half the group thought they wanted to come out Russell Gulch. But when we arrived, everyone elected to continue downstream . . . 11 hour day?

Jeff

Come on, it can't be any worse than the MIA or the exit from Misery.

When we did it we followed Kelsey's route also, but we zigged when we should have zagged, got cliffed out, and had to rap off a tree down to where we could finish the route to the canyon. I was with some guys who had rappelled but were pretty new to canyoneering so we took our time. We also hung out in the subway cannonballing into and swimming around in the pools for probably an hour (lots of fun). I think it was like a 13 hour day for us at a pretty relaxed pace. One of my favorite canyon days and I really want to do it again (probably wouldn't be as enjoyable if the open area didn't have so much water, there were some REALLY long swims to keep things interesting).

Eric.

I haven't done the full left fork...yet. I may get to it this next year.

As for your other question, I have exited the Subway back up to the trail head. I did so after a preview of Das Boot route to see if I could take older teenage boys through later the same month. Horrible, long and hard hike. I would not recommend it. It rivals the MIA exit.
    Life is Good

P.S. Das boot alone is NOT worth the hike back to the trailhead but is a great alternate entrance to the Subway. YMMV. I look forward to doing it again this summer.
    Life is Good