Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boise State

.....and Bob Stoops shaking his head....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And for what it's worth.... Oklahoma head coach Barry Switzer was one of the most out spoken detractors when BYU won the mythical 1984 National Championship. Many people - especially Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer - were politicking for the one-loss Sooners to be voted the national champions if they won the Orange Bowl and not unbeaten BYU. Switzer's main cry was the Cougars didn't play as tough a schedule as OU.

I rember Switzer the .... I just got back from trying to work off a couple of Christmas goodies and while on a treadmill I was watching ESPN. Their argument was that because of the Boise game there should not be a playoff. HUH???? Here is the logic. The two point conversion proved that Boise coaching staff knew that they could not keep up the the OU offense any more particularly the running back. that is why the two point conversion and the trickery. This would happen week in and week out (the not keeping up thing). Therefore, they couldn't handle a tournament game in and game out against the big schools. Utah was mentioned in the argument. Un-said conclusion. The "premier" teams are super human and better, stronger and faster. They were even trying to place the Texas/USC 2006 championship game in the same league of exciting games. Seems to me OU had as much prep time as Boise. Thought you may get a kick out of the gurus at ESPN and their logic. WE WILL NEVER KNOW TILL THERE IS A PLAYOFF IDIOTS (at ESPN that is) The final comment from ESPN sounded a lot like the Oregon coach who said that the mid majors wouldn't even compete in the big conferences. We will never know will we.....
    Life is Good

There really does need to be a tournament. A lot of schools didn't want one originally because of the amount of football, but there are so many bowl games now, that there really wouldn't be that much of an increase in games.

Anyway, a tournament is the only way to fairly decide who is the best.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    They were even trying to place the Texas/USC 2006 championship game in the same league of exciting games.
    I consider the 2006 Texas/USC game to be in the same class as last nights Feista Bowl. Both were great games to watch, both were a rollor coaster of emotion, both had a great comeback. Watching Vince Young in that game was special, maybe one of the greatest indivual preformaces of all time.

One item I see overlooked by the ESPN guru's..... if all schools were placed on equal footing in regards to a National Championship it would probably help the recruiting of teams like Boise/TCU/Utah/BYU/Fresno and create a more level playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I consider the 2006 Texas/USC game to be in the same class as last nights Feista Bowl. Both were great games to watch, both were a rollor coaster of emotion, both had a great comeback. Watching Vince Young in that game was special, maybe one of the greatest indivual preformaces of all time.

You are right about USC/Texas being a very good game and Vince Young was incredible. Perhaps I wasn't as invested in the outcome as I was in the Boise game. My subjective opinion I guess.
    Life is Good