View Poll Results: How do you feel about slot canyons?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I live to climb down slot canyons

13 72.22%
  • They are okay, but I would much rather hike

1 5.56%
  • Only insane types go into slot canyons

1 5.56%
  • I like the tame family type canyons

0 0%
  • They are just like hiking to me, no big deal

2 11.11%
  • I have tried a few, but not sure if I want to do more

0 0%
  • What is a slot canyon?

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is so great about Canyoneering?

Bogley BigShot

What is so great about Canyoneering?

Why are we attracted to sliding down some dark, slimey, cold slit in the earth????

Why do we take photos of slots? What is so pretty about it anyway?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I do it for the chicks and beer

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I do it for the chicks and beer

No way. Think of just about every sport there is and there would be more 'chicks' doing it

The insane part fits though

I do it for the exploring in a pretty area.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I go into canyons for so many reasons. The beauty, the adventure, the excitement, to get away from my job, to stay active and challenge my self, to face my fear of heights, to learn techniques, to discover new areas of the state that I did not know know about (discover meaning I saw it for my first time). Nothing motivates me to go to the gym like the thought of getting stuck in a canyon. I really do try to stay healthy to be able to canyoneer for many years to come. My wife thinks I go to the gym for the better life insurance rates.
    Life is Good

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson

Are slot canyons really pretty though?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson

Are slot canyons really pretty though?
    That's a good one. Ya that ugly double arch chamber in Pine Creek, that ugly last rap of the technical section in Kolob, the Golden Cathedral rap in Neon. Some of the ugliest places in the state.
    Life is Good

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I go into canyons for so many reasons. The beauty, the adventure, the excitement, to get away from my job, to stay active and challenge my self, to face my fear of heights, to learn techniques, to discover new areas of the state that I did not know know about (discover meaning I saw it for my first time). Nothing motivates me to go to the gym like the thought of getting stuck in a canyon. I really do try to stay healthy to be able to canyoneer for many years to come. My wife thinks I go to the gym for the better life insurance rates.
    I don't think I could do it if I had a fear of heights! The start of the rapell..hanging on the edge by just a skinny little rope that hopefully, you did not have a brain dead moment, and tied right. I love the discovery part! That is some good gym motivation

Just don't tell her its because all the hot babes are at the gym.

So you are the slide down the canyons for fun type I assume.

My thoughts exactly!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin

My thoughts exactly!
    You are afraid of heights too?

Well, my thoughts exactly.....almost. I do get a little nervous just going over the lip on the big rappels, but I don't really have a fear of heights.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I don't think I could do it if I had a fear of heights! The start of the rapell..hanging on the edge by just a skinny little rope that hopefully, you did not have a brain dead moment, and tied right. I love the discovery part! That is some good gym motivation

My fear of heights is a little weird. It is conditional. Conditional on whether I am tied in or not. I am not the type who walks up to a cliff edge and takes a peak. Clip me in and I am good and yes I pay very close attention to knots, webbing, etc.

As for the gym, I avoid the meat market hours. I usually go about lunch time when it is just me and the other old men and a few strutters.

And yes, I am in it for the fun. Sad part is I haven't been fishing but one time since I took up this canyoneering stuff. My wife thought it was going to be a passing fancy. Boy was she wrong. She just rolls her eyes now when I get so excited that Santa left a blunt tip titanium scuba sheath knife in my stocking. I will clip that to my leg harness and I will be ready to cut my arm off, cut the rope, or cut my apple in my pack at any time. It's all good.
    Life is Good

I am by no means a canyoneer. However, I have been through a few slot canyons. I would say the biggest attractors for me are:

1 - The challenge that some canyons bring. It is very fulfilling to tackle these obstacles and come out on the other side with both arms.

2- The awesome rock formations made by the earth. When your in a slot canyon you get an intimate experience with these formations. IMO, its quite a bit different than other outdoor sports. You are constantly surrounded by these formations and its like no other place on earth.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Well, my thoughts exactly.....almost. I do get a little nervous just going over the lip on the big rappels, but I don't really have a fear of heights.

Same here... but since I rarely ever think about ANYTHING I do.... mostly the fear escapes me.

Do you guys mind water POUNDING on your head while rapelling? I hate it! Can't breath or see! That is what scares me.

Bogley BigShot

My fear of heights is a little weird. It is conditional. Conditional on whether I am tied in or not.

A man tied up!!!!! Should be fun, but it scares most of you.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I am by no means a canyoneer. However, I have been through a few slot canyons. I would say the biggest attractors for me are:

1 - The challenge that some canyons bring. It is very fulfilling to tackle these obstacles and come out on the other side with both arms.

2- The awesome rock formations made by the earth. When your in a slot canyon you get an intimate experience with these formations. IMO, its quite a bit different than other outdoor sports. You are constantly surrounded by these formations and its like no other place on earth.
    So you think the slots are pretty? I wonder if people would have thought that 50 years ago?

Bogley BigShot

My fear of heights is a little weird. It is conditional. Conditional on whether I am tied in or not. I am not the type who walks up to a cliff edge and takes a peak. Clip me in and I am good and yes I pay very close attention to knots, webbing, etc.

As for the gym, I avoid the meat market hours. I usually go about lunch time when it is just me and the other old men and a few strutters.

And yes, I am in it for the fun. Sad part is I haven't been fishing but one time since I took up this canyoneering stuff. My wife thought it was going to be a passing fancy. Boy was she wrong. She just rolls her eyes now when I get so excited that Santa left a blunt tip titanium scuba sheath knife in my stocking. I will clip that to my leg harness and I will be ready to cut my arm off, cut the rope, or cut my apple in my pack at any time. It's all good.
    Well we women want men just getting excited about us..... not sharp objects.

Do you guys mind water POUNDING on your head while rapelling? I hate it! Can't breath or see! That is what scares me.
    Now that is just good fun. Ever since I did Kolob a few years ago and a flowing Pine Creek a couple of months ago, I am all for wet canyons with a flow. My helmet does the trick in easing the pounding. My helmet is solid with only a couple of small holes on the side so the water just bounces off. Maybe I have not had enough water to feel like I couldn't breath. Ya gotta just tip your head at the right angle and you can usually breath just fine. Now seeing is impossible unless you want to pack in some goggles, which is not unheard of. Some pack them in to dive for gear at the bottom of pot holes. Apparently there used to be a treasure trove in the pool below the big wall rap in Mystery before it filled in that is. I know my brother had a bunch of stuff fall out of his pack in some pot hole in Heaps.
    Life is Good

So you think the slots are pretty? I wonder if people would have thought that 50 years ago?
    I never used the word "pretty" no I don't think I did. Seriously though, maybe the word is different or unique. Thats what make them so intriguing and photogenic.

Bogley BigShot

Now that is just good fun. Ever since I did Kolob a few years ago and a flowing Pine Creek a couple of months ago, I am all for wet canyons with a flow. My helmet does the trick in easing the pounding. My helmet is solid with only a couple of small holes on the side so the water just bounces off. Maybe I have not had enough water to feel like I couldn't breath. Ya gotta just tip your head at the right angle and you can usually breath just fine. Now seeing is impossible unless you want to pack in some goggles, which is not unheard of. Some pack them in to dive for gear at the bottom of pot holes. Apparently there used to be a treasure trove in the pool below the big wall rap in Mystery before it filled in that is. I know my brother had a bunch of stuff fall out of his pack in some pot hole in Heaps.
    Kolob is where I did it too.... Started at 5cfs or so then we were running for what looked like a flash flood..... That was so much fun!!!! Soliod helmet.... I will see if mine is like that.. if not I am getting a new one. I can be quite tippy! I will try that too! I dont even wear a helmet and you want me in goggles! Okay I might. I don't wear a helmet unless it's a place with loose rock though. Next time I am doing flowing water I will! My long hair did not make seeing or breathing any easier!

Kolob for those that have not been:

Imagine going down this.... All you water park guys would have a ball!