Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ho, Ho, Ho...New Feature: <- Image Slideshow ->

Ho, Ho, Ho...New Feature: <- Image Slideshow ->

A gift from uutah.com - Happy Holidays

We now have a place to showcase larger images. Now the image bar has been great! But lets face it, the images are damn small and we have some very talented photographer's in this group. Also some people like myself who are in the right place at the right time on occasions. I have been thinking about adding something like this to our homepage for some time. So, I sacrificed one night until about 3:30 AM and there ya go.

The Scoop

Go to www.uutah.com (our homepage) and you will see a photo slideshow. If you all bookmark www.uutah.com then you'll get a new image every time you enter the site. You can also refresh the homepage to scan through all the photos, similar to the image bar. Now I randomly grabbed 10 images to start with and we'll let Sombeech run wild with this to collect more. We need to load it up, so post your finest here!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot

Re: Ho, Ho, Ho...New Feature: <- Image Slideshow ->

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    A gift from uutah.com - Happy Holidays

We now have a place to showcase larger images. Now the image bar has been great! But lets face it, the images are damn small and we have some very talented photographer's in this group. Also some people like myself who are in the right place at the right time on occasions. I have been thinking about adding something like this to our homepage for some time. So, I sacrificed one night until about 3:30 AM and there ya go.

The Scoop

Go to www.uutah.com (our homepage) and you will see a photo slideshow. If you all bookmark www.uutah.com then you'll get a new image every time you enter the site. You can also refresh the homepage to scan through all the photos, similar to the image bar. Now I randomly grabbed 10 images to start with and we'll let Sombeech run wild with this to collect more. We need to load it up, so post your finest here!
    We can all see your baby... the one you lust after... the one you want.... in of course you choice of the top 10 .. there it is.

Re: Ho, Ho, Ho...New Feature: <- Image Slideshow ->

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    We can all see your baby... the one you lust after... the one you want.... in of course you choice of the top 10 .. there it is.
    Yup, I had to put my bike in there and yeah that selection was random. That picture was actually taken down south on the burr trail this summer. I am always lusting after the next bike that I want to add to the stable. Oh and here it is...I just sat on one at the beemer shop last weekend.

R 1200 RT

Very cool. It was a nice surprise when I clicked my bookmark.

I've created the "request" thread here.
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4491

WTF!!!

oK..... who screwed up the site navigation???

When I click on the UUtah logo at the top of the page it takes me to some
    crappy slide show..... this blows!!!

I use the logo at the top to navigate the forum and now I have to double
    click in addition to wait for some dumbass photo to load that I didn't
    really want to see in the first place....

THIS IS NOT A GOOD ADDITION!!!

More whistles and bells are not always better.

Ice

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    WTF!!!

oK..... who screwed up the site navigation???

When I click on the UUtah logo at the top of the page it takes me to some
    crappy slide show..... this blows!!!

I use the logo at the top to navigate the forum and now I have to double
    click in addition to wait for some dumbass photo to load that I didn't
    really want to see in the first place....

THIS IS NOT A GOOD ADDITION!!!

More whistles and bells are not always better.

Ice
    I agree with Shane. I hate it.

I agree with Shane. I hate it.
    Is it because you're hitting the top logo to get back to the main screen? If so, there's probably something that could be done about that link.

It's meant to be an "entry" page only.

Check this site out. It works very well for them:
    http://www.advrider.com/

Bogley BigShot
    Still hate it. I hate entry pages. People want to get where they are going with the least clicks.

You are just a video addict.. bet you like flash entries too

bet you like flash entries too
    mmm, flash

I like to hit the top logo to clean up (reload) the forum on my computer....

The pics are nice, but folks DO NOT want to wade through crap to get to the goodies.... I also hate webpages that make me wade through an entrance page.... I usually click out of that site before getting past the wistles & bells...

This new feature BLOWS.... dump it now... dump it fast... don't try and fix it.... its a POS and will always be a POS.

Maybe run a poll to see how many folks want it versus how many don't?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I got a better idea.... just dump it!

This type of thing does not improve viewers and participatuion.... it causes a lose....

I don't have all frickin' day to click through this trash....

Bogley BigShot
    I got a better idea.... just dump it!

This type of thing does not improve viewers and participatuion.... it causes a lose....

I don't have all frickin' day to click through this trash....

When I started making websites I made the flashy stuff, intro pages, etc... but I quickly learned from the hits my different sites got and from what I read about ----- "what a good site is" ----- that the majority of people hate that. They want simple, easy to load stuff. I cannot agree stronger with Shane. But hey.. its not my site. I can see a kids or teen site having flashy stuff, but over age 20 I think it needs to go.

FWIW: If that POS stays I'll probably not post here nearly as much... I HATE wading through crap... I think you will find the same feeling in others. As I said, it's not going to increase posts, but it might cause a decrease....

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupied)

FWIW: If that POS stays I'll probably not post here nearly as much...
    Ahh, c'mon man. I'm sure there's something we can do to get around this. I think your main issue is the top logo bringing you back to that intro page.

If clicking that wouldn't take you there, you'd only see that intro page once (unless you clicked directly on a thread response). Is that the main issue?

I'm seeing it as a "babe of the day" kinda thing.

This is unbelievable...

There is a link at the top left and bottom left of every page that says "Utah Outdoor Forum : Forum Index" which takes you to the same place. It is just above and below the frame. It is much easier to use as well. You don't have to scroll all the way to the top each time. The majority of our users click this link to go back home. Get in the habit of using this and you'll be fine. Screen shots attached...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bogley BigShot
    FWIW: If that POS stays I'll probably not post here nearly as much... I HATE wading through crap... I think you will find the same feeling in others. As I said, it's not going to increase posts, but it might cause a decrease....

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupied)

One more issue..... Everyone lives and dies with Google if you are on the net. Everything else is so little it matters little. If you have 2 entry pages, your page rank will be diluted and thus you will fall in the rankings. Some will link to one and other to the other page.

And! If Shane quits posting the ladies will go

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    FWIW: If that POS stays I'll probably not post here nearly as much...
    Ahh, c'mon man. I'm sure there's something we can do to get around this. I think your main issue is the top logo bringing you back to that intro page.

If clicking that wouldn't take you there, you'd only see that intro page once (unless you clicked directly on a thread response). Is that the main issue?

I'm seeing it as a "babe of the day" kinda thing.

Not even? Most people do hate an entry page. They want to find what they are looking for.

I dont mind the new page but what about bringing on old one back and just adding a link near the image bar for the "random picutre page".