Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tent camping... When???

Tent camping... When???

When will anyone start to tent camp. As it's been snowing all day I've starting to think about planing a trip. I started looking around Bluff, but it's looks like it might be a while before the night time temperature start to settle around 45. I keep looking south, but I'm not really looking to go to Phoenix. I'm thinking maybe late February, early march........... I can't wait. "I just shot three holes in my freezer" and it's just starting.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Freeze Fest starts in less than one week and I don't think anyone is bringing a motorhome. Sleeping in a tent or car/truck will be the standard mode of rest.

I spent two nights in a tent weekend before last. Coral pink sand dunes, they have hot showers and heated restrooms. It was a great place. We used sleeping bags rated at around zero and they were perfect in the 14 degree lows.

i'm hoping someone brings a hot shower and Hog Springs restrooms are unheated -- what I wouldn't give for one of those Japanese toilets.

DickHead
    its six holes
    "I just shot six holes in my freezer. I think I've got cabin fever, somebody sound the alarm."

Name that tune

BOAT DRINKS
    Jimmy Buffett

Heck you're right!!! I got three more rounds..... Glad I didn't grab my semi-auto

Not that I am selling for these guys, but if you want to camp in a tent, but still need and want warmth - check out camping in a tipi. Not what you are thinking. These are very light weight and come with a stove. A bit pricey, but when you think about what you are getting - it's awesome.

I have a 6' that is a 4 man but perfect for my son and I when we bow hunt and get back about 5-8miles off the beaten path. We can stand up in it - I'm 6'4 and he's 5'11 and we can stretch out and enjoy ourselves.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/tents.html

You'd be amazed at their versatility and what you can do with them.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce
    what I wouldn't give for one of those Japanese toilets.
    The Toto. Expensive seat.

DickHead
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    BOAT DRINKS
    Jimmy Buffett

When will anyone start to tent camp.
    I'm camping on top of Mount Sherman (14,000+ feet) Friday night.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Seriously? You rule. You are the King of the Castle.

Bogley BigShot

I hope you have someone along to keep you warm

I'm going to do Coyote Gulch at the end of Feb over a long weekend. I have ridiculous amounts of vacation time I never take (I'm rolling 11 days into 32 new days for 2007) and I'm thinking a 4 or 5 day back pack will do me some good. I'm trying to get a few pals to go with, I'll keep everyone posted as it'll be more a backpackers delight then a drive and drop.

PS - I'm gonna have 43 days of vacation in 2007 yet I still work for a rampaging, suddenly profit mongering Start up which yields little opportunity to take a sabbatical let alone 3 days in a row off. I'm going to ask my CEO to cut me a check for 4 weeks pay and in return for 20 days I don't take. Think of the gear I could splurge on with a months pay...

I was going to, but everyone else bailed on the overnight trip and I didn't want to carry me expedition tent to the top by myself. Anyway, I ended up camping right at timberline at 11,600 feet and summiting the next day.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Bogley BigShot
    I was going to, but everyone else bailed on the overnight trip and I didn't want to carry me expedition tent to the top by myself. Anyway, I ended up camping right at timberline at 11,600 feet and summiting the next day.

That should be plenty cold in December! Brrrrrrr!!!!

That should be plenty cold in December! Brrrrrrr!!!!
    Not really; it was -7F. Not that cold for December. Could have been far colder.

Summit:

Breifly put:

After driving alone to the trailhead on the 22nd, I walked to 11,560 feet and camped. The night was -7F. At 12,100 feet, I waited for and met three others whom planned to climb Sherman and Sheridan with me and whom left very early in the morning. Another member caught up later. The five of us climbed Sherman (14,037 feet) and three of us climbed Sheridan (13,748 feet). It was well after dark when we got back. It was a great trip in good weather.

I'll link the trip report to uutah.com after I write it.

Bogley BigShot
    Looking forward to it! Its nice not to be camping or hiking in the snow this weekend....... oh guess I did it Saturday.

Great photos! Looks like fun

I'll be camping on the ice at Strawberry in early February. Ice fishing with the scouts.

Great photos! Looks like fun
    Here's a photo album of the trip if you are interested:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/2545...2-23-2006.html