Thread: Question about website stuff

Question about website stuff

I'd like to include a link on an existing webpage for an application. I'd like there to be a link to take you to a new window pop up. This new window could be something really simple like a PDF, the version you can type right on the page and check off boxes and such.

I'd like 2 options for apply:
    1) I'd like the option for someone to actually print it off and mail it. They could either fill it out in pen at home, or give it to a friend to fill out.

AND

2) A "submit" link, so that when they fill it out they can submit it and it gets automatically sent to my email address. Keep it all electronic.

Is this possible? Mainly the second option. Who can help me? I only know basic HTML right now. The current webpage is one that is given to all animal shelters who partcipate in PetFinder.com. Not sure of the software.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Question about website stuff

The first option is fairly easy and straightforward. If you have Adobe Acrobat or some other application capable of creating a fillable PDF, then all you've got to do is upload the PDF to the website and create a link to it on the webpage. The HTML for that is simple:
    The second option is more complicated. You'll probably need to have administrative access to the web server in order to do it. You'll need a CGI script (usually written in Perl) to handle the submitted form and route it to an e-mail address. FormMail is a popular script for just this purpose. Some web servers even come with such scripts pre-installed. If your server doesn't have anything like that, you'll need access (either FTP or Telnet) to install it.

After installing it, you'll have to include a form on the webpage using HTML code, which is not so simple as the simple link above, and the HTML form will as its "action" submit the data to the CGI script that you install.

I'm not sure if all that info will be helpful to you, but at least it'll give you an idea of what's involved.

Well if 1) seems simple, people could also "save as" the PDF to their computer, fill it out, then send it as an attachment in an email to me, right? Is that too complex for John Q. Public?

How do I make a fillable PDF? I have PDF making capabilities here, but I just don't know how to may one interactive.

Also, "upload it to website" not sure how I'd do that or where it would even go. You mean store it on my Petfinder website? Maybe the PF admins can help me to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    Well if 1) seems simple, people could also "save as" the PDF to their computer, fill it out, then send it as an attachment in an email to me, right? Is that too complex for John Q. Public?
    Right, people could just e-mail it to you that way. Most people could easily do it--most government agencies do this on their own websites, and I think the majority of people are at least familiar with it.

How do I make a fillable PDF? I have PDF making capabilities here, but I just don't know how to may one interactive.
    In Adobe Acrobat, there's an "Advanced Editing Toolbar" that has tools for creating fillable fields on a PDF. I think if you click the Tools menu, then Advanced Editing, you'll see an option to show that toolbar. If you're not using Acrobat, then I'm not sure how you'd go about making a form fillable.

Also, "upload it to website" not sure how I'd do that or where it would even go. You mean store it on my Petfinder website? Maybe the PF admins can help me to that.
    Yes, you'd have to either store it on the PF website, or store it on another website that you have access to, and link to whichever site it's on.

Thanks so much! I think I can do it!

Sounds like you have a plan. Couple questions anyway...

Is this for petfinder.com? Don't they have a server that you could use? You can get a cheap hosting account for $100 a year. They have some really slick control panels where you could make a web form like this in like 10 minutes.

I'm with acca.... I don't think you are approaching this the right way... but then again, I'm not sure what your end goals are.

I'm guessing that skipping the PDF part and just creating a simple web form with boxes to fill in and boxes to check would work best.

Is this for petfinder.com? Don't they have a server that you could use? You can get a cheap hosting account for $100 a year. They have some really slick control panels where you could make a web form like this in like 10 minutes.
    This is on Petfinder. I don't know if they can host a PDF for me, I haven't asked yet. I don't want to spend $100 of my own money on a new site ; there's no money for the shelter to pay that either. I'd love to make a separate webstie eventually with links and buttosna dn stuff. I just don't have time to do it yet - I do everything from my desk job.

Here's what some other folks gathered for me, what do you think?

[quote]First, Elizabeth said to go here: Create an online contact form with Response-O-Matic -- if that link doesn't work, here's the URL http://www.response-o-matic.com/_ She said you might have to look at some ads, but you can create any kind of submittable form there by just telling it what fields you want.

Dave said" "It would be much easier to do this as two different forms: a PDF people could download and fill out or distribute, and a standard mailto form for those who fill it out online. Here

I guess that'll work considering your budget. Sounds like a plan...good luck.