Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zion National Park Fee Increase for 2007

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. The terroist that attacked the US came there after the fact and Al Qaeda had nothing to do with Iraq before the invasion.
    No one ever said 9/11 was connected with Iraq.
    BULLSHIT
    Great argument! Man you're right! I can't wait until Hillary becomes President.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was going to Post, but Stopped. I used to frequent a board that got total ruined by Political Bullshit. This site is too good to lose. Everyone has been pretty respectful, but that can change quickly and really screw up a great thing. I'll shut up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    if you don't mind my asking, why is that? i am seriously interested.
    Well, I really meant that it's not an option that I'd consider. You just never know where and when you might need to defend yourself. Instead of choosing to go unarmed, I choose not to go places where I have to disarm (unless that place also ensures that nobody else is armed as well).
    okay, thanks for being open. do you think we're crazy for being unarmed? [no sarcasm on my part]

My problem with Zion National Park is that I get nailed 3 times to use something I already own.

1. I pay for the park with my taxes.
    2. I pay again when I buy a National Parks Pass or Entrance Fee.
    3. I get to pay a third time when I am forced to buy a backcountry permit.

That just blows..... and I also say it is discriminatory against the poor and against canyoneers. The poor because $25 bucks will keep some less fortunate families out. And canyoneers because no other user group (climbers, bird watchers, yada, yada) is forced to buy a permit.

We could also get into the lottery system the park uses to distribute permits being a form of gambling..... all forms of which are banned in the state of Utah...

okay, thanks for being open. do you think we're crazy for being unarmed? [no sarcasm on my part]
    Nope, not at all. "To each his or her own" I always say. :) Personally, I started carrying just for the novelty of it (the same reason I got into ham radio and countless other hobbies that the majority of people never try), but after carrying for a long period of time, I would feel, well, completely defenseless without it. To me, not carrying is like leaving your cell phone at home while you're away. You never know when you're going to need it in an emergency, but having it and never needing it doesn't hurt anything.

And canyoneers because no other user group (climbers, bird watchers, yada, yada) is forced to buy a permit.
    Good point. It could be worse, but let's hope not. It cost me $65 in fees for my (my four year old son and I) four day backpack in the Grand Canyon on a trail not maintained by the park service.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'll gladly pay the fee. The parks dont bring in enough money from taxes or otherwise to support their maintenance and the programs they provide. No money, perhaps no more parks. If those parks werent paid for and maintained for all I would imagine it wouldnt be long til the oil drillers, and developers moved in. $80 to do my part to help protect these treasured areas seems a small price to pay - shoot, that's the cost of two dinners out.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Let's maybe look at the other side of the coin..... how much money is spent each year by the National Parks Service collecting and administering fees? I'm guessing their is no way in hell that some of these collections pay for themselves. Maybe if some of the parks were not so busy spending money on fee collections and accounting services they would have more money available?

It would be interesting to see the cost of maintaining the Zion Backcountry permit system and employing rangers to man the systems during December and January and February against revenues generated.

I'm reading about the Parks pass fee increase. I scroll down to the bottom to see the thread turning to Iraq and 9/11.

[transition]I hope this new increase of the Nat'l Parks Pass fee will now INCLUDE the Fiery Furnace fee at Arches.[/transition]

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I hope this new increase of the Nat'l Parks Pass fee will now INCLUDE the Fiery Furnace fee at Arches.
    NOPE.... ya still get nicked for "user fees".... you still have to pay extra to Hike Timp Cave, Visit the Fiery Furnace, canyoneer in Zion and a huge list of other things.....

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    This money must come from somewhere ...

http://nationalpriorities.org/index....per&Itemid=182
    Scott's going to love that one

Hey, can we get that scrolling dollar amount embedded on here?

Oh, and I'm really BUMMED that we couldn't pay for more scholarships with that money. Coming from somebody who paid EVERY DIME for college, I really, really, really don't empathize much for those who don't get their degree from lack of scholarships.

Well if you had of signed up for the Military and took your turn in the barrel your schooling would be paid for.

Join the military, travel to exotic locations, meet interesting people..... and shoot them....

Then go to college on Uncle Sam's dime

I didn't have the balls to join the military. I thought about it, but I had put my 2 years in somewhere else.

Go Team USA!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hard to imagine you with short hair Beech. Did your MP let you slip by?

Scott's going to love that one
    Love it? I don't like it and is why I spoke up. That was my point in the first place. I would like to see more money going to things that benifit us more.

My final post on the matter (on this thread at least)
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    My final post on the matter.
    Anyone want to take bets on this???

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    Hard to imagine you with short hair Beech. Did your MP let you slip by?
    Naw, I chopped it off. That was over 10 years ago though. In fact, this pic was taken about 3 years after I got home, but it's pretty close without the goatee. See if you can pick me out.
    Attached Images Attached Images