Thread: Make a Diaper Sling

Make a Diaper Sling

How to make a Diaper Sling
    Technical Crap

When I do a simple tech route I often carry only a short rope, diaper sling and a carabiner to get down some of the more difficult drops on the route. A diaper sling is not very comfortable, but they do work rather well and if I'm only doing a couple of short drops I'll give up comfort for a light weight backpack. If you know how to tie a diaper sling and rappel on a Munter Hitch you can do some amazing things with very little gear.

Diaper Sling

You'll need one piece of 1-inch tubular webbing. The length will vary depending on the size of your waist and thighs but 12-feet is usually plenty.

Create a loop out of the sling by tying the ends together with a Water Knot.

With the loop horizontal (parallel to the ground) run the top half of the loop across the small of your back, and the lower half of the loop below your buttocks. Keep the knot towards the front so that it is smooth against your back and thighs.

Then, reach between your legs, to grab the lower loop and pull it in between your thighs. Keep holding on to the original loop!

Finally, clip the whole mess together.

Ta-da.... you have created a diaper sling.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

in addition to Shane's Diaper Sling seat,

here is a nice tech on how to tie an ASRC Seat Harness.

takes more webbing, but the benefit is that all 3 loop have to fail in order for the harness to not function. very cool, very easy to tie.

Sweet.... it would be nice to have a few more tech tips on this forum. If you have one toss it into the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Sweet.... it would be nice to have a few more tech tips on this forum. If you have one toss it into the pot.
    Swami belt then a shoulder length sling, with a twist and then step through each loop. Clip the crossed webbing point on the sling and the swami with a biner. Voila.

Depending on your preference or pain tolerance, the swami belt could be made with minimal wraps of webbing.

Might take less webbing than some of the above. Also might work with a couple of shoulder length slings in a pinch. One tied, one pre sewn. Folks always seem to have those.

I learned to rock climb with a 2" swami, so...(which I still have, oddly enough).

-Brian in SLC

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    in addition to Shane's Diaper Sling seat,

here is a nice tech on how to tie an ASRC Seat Harness.

takes more webbing, but the benefit is that all 3 loop have to fail in order for the harness to not function. very cool, very easy to tie.
    Triple redundency claim? Ha! all held together by one knot. I guess if you are attacked by a chain-saw wielding Bogleyite while on rappel, the theoretical redundency might be a comfort.

I would be VERY CAREFUL with this harness. The final result has a VERY LOW tie in point, which might work on the lady shown, but will be a problem for many of the fellers here. Instead, tie the leg loops, then wrap around the waist a number of times and tie off. Clip the leg loop cross strap and all the waist wraps, and you are good to go. This way the tie in point is like a regular harness, and will provide reasonable capture of the center of gravity on many people (unlike the ASRC 'harness' shown).

T

BUMP... because this is what I often use in the skinny stuff so I don't destroy good gear.