Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Down Without a Rappelling Device

Bogley BigShot
    I try to hide my muscles. Most of it with fat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    Yep it hurts! We used it on many of the short drops in the Subway. Never heard of it called Dulfer, we just called it a body rappel. It's definitely a jewel shifter!
    Even worse when the rope has a little sand stuck to it. I just stash a cheap webbing harness in the bottom of my pack now.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

carabiner wrap rappel

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Getting Down Without a Rappelling Device
    Technical Crap

The Munter Hitch
    This is my preferred method of rappelling without a rappel device. The Munter Hitch is reliable, assuming you set it up correctly. All you need is a locking carabiner. Make two bights in the rappel rope, like a clove hitch, and fold one over the other. Clip the loops through the carabiner which is clipped to your harness. This method puts a nasty twist in your rope, but you'll get over it. If you know how to tie a Diaper Sling and rappel on a Munter Hitch you can do some amazing things with very little gear.

The Carbiner Brake
    The Carbiner Brake can be done with either six carabiners or one large locking and four regular carabiners (the large locking connecting to your harness). When using two carabiners, ALWAYS reverse the gates. These first two will keep the rope from running against your harness, however they can be eliminated in an emergency if you only have four. Then clip two opposing ovals (or Ds, although ovals are best) to the two on your harness. Put a bight of the double ropes through these two. Clip the last two ovals across these two and under the bights so they rope runs over the backs of the pair.

The "Dulfer"
    The Dulfer is not as enjoyable as the picture below would lead you to believe. In fact, it is painful and only works on gradual slopes. Actually this method really sucks, but it will get you down in an emergency.

What about using the carabiner wrap rappel (which is still taught and used in the US military community) which only requires one carabiner and some sort of harness, or the carabiner brake rappel, or the much less known crossed carabiner rappel (also called the french rappel) which only requires two carabers and does not introduce any twist to the rope????

Wow this is from the past. Anybody know what Tanya is doing now? She use to be great entertainment. Sorry for hi jack.

I've used the carabiner brake once when my climbing partner dropped his device. It's very effective, but it does twist your rope up like crazy.

Tanya and I had lunch together yesterday at Georges Corner. She is doing well, staying busy with kids, grandkids, rental properties and her motel business! Tanya and I are busy putting together another book as well. Time flys and priorities change!

8. Likes Sombeech, ratagonia liked this post
    Good post!
    ah the Dulfersitz!
    the old dude who taught me mountaineering actually had a big leather patch sewn into the crotch of his wool knickers and then another patch on the opposite shoulder of his jacket: making a horrible rappel technique almost bearable.
    And the whillans harness! one of the very first commercially made climbing harnesses- it worked GREAT for standing around, but would crush your privates and flip you upside-down it you ever fell in it!
    sigh.....the good 'ole days....
    My vote is for the Munter.

10. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Munter.

It works.

Have done the 2-carabiner "snake" - uh, almost died. Very unstable, needs to be constantly attended to.

Dulfer Sitz was responsible for many deaths when it was popular (early 20th century). The invention of the "rappel device" was a big step forward.

Tom

12. Likes hank moon, harness man, deagol liked this post