Thread: Ice Caves on Mount Trumbull (AZ Strip, AZ)

Blog Entries

Ice Caves on Mount Trumbull (AZ Strip, AZ)

I know where some ice caves are on Mount Trumbull are but a leary of posting it because it's on private property. They are unique. Actually, they are not a "cave" per se - more just of a lava field with boulders on top of each other. The water is deep inside the cave with a few ice sheets here and there. Don't expect a big ice cave found elsewhere. But it's cool because it can be 110 degrees outside while the inside is almost at and below freezing temps.

Have any of you other guys heard of these or been to them?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hate to resurrect a dead thread, but I am also very curious about this. Maybe now, 5 years later, someone on the board will know something about it?

Blog Entries
    I may or may not have them still...catch my drift? I may or may not send you a message. Lol
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I may or may not have them still...catch my drift? I may or may not send you a message. Lol
    Indeed, I do. I would certainly appreciate that haha

I'm here to bring the thread back to life again… is there still info on the cave that I could get from one of you?

Blog Entries
    I apologize for the late reply! Here you go:

N36°25'31.17", W113° 9'46.39"

So the GPS coordinates provides the general vicinity as there are numerous "caves" in the area. Be prepared to spend a few hours exploring to the east of that waypoint and to the north and south.

In return, I ask if you can post a TR or give an update on the area or your find, etc. Thanks!

Here are a few pics to give you an idea of the area:

This is the terrain:
    Name:  IMG_0050.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  150.7 KB

This was on a 90 degree day and we are about 60feet down and that steam is our breath. Yup, it's that cold down there.
    Name:  IMG_0039.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  68.1 KB

A bunch of ice like this is found everywhere in the lower depths.
    Name:  IMG_0044.jpg
Views: 2218
Size:  170.3 KB

One of many openings in the area that drop down anywhere from 50-200ft deep (and more).
    Name:  IMG_0049.jpg
Views: 2367
Size:  83.8 KB
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

8. Likes tanya liked this post
    LOL what's with the hidden identities?

Thank you so much! It may be a bit before we're able to get out there, but I'll be sure to let you know how things are out there!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    LOL what's with the hidden identities?
    Haha yeah...They are old some friends that don't want to be recognized online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"