Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from NY...planning my first Utah hiking vacation

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverWild
    Thank you all for the welcome.

I'm planning on the 3rd week in September for the trail. We'll be sticking to the southern part of the state. Probably Zion and Bryce. We definitely want to do at least one, hoepfully two overnight hikes.

On Niagara Falls...I've only been there once, when I was a little kid. It is about a 6 hour drive from me so I know little about it. From what I do remember it was very touristy
    I agree with the guys... if you are going to Zion and Bryce and want to do a couple of overnight hikes you will want to do them in Zion. Zion is a hiking mecca. The Zion Narrows will make you happy campers! I also suggest the West Rim as a backpack or the East Rim, and include Deertrap and Cable Mountain. If you have never been to Angels Landing though I have to say do the West Rim. If you want to detour from the national parks, then like Shane says.... head to Buckskin. -- But if you have never been to Zion and Bryce.. you should go! They are magnificent (but then so is Buckskin even though I have not done this one yet!)

Zion Narrows
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-narrows.htm

West Rim
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...m-backpack.htm

East Rim
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...-rim-trail.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lots of great possibilities here.

I've been looking around here and elsewhere on the net. I've also gotten some books and maps. I'm still waiting for the NG topo maps to arrive.

I want to hit Bryce first. At Bryce canyon we will most likely just do the touristy thing with a couple short day hikes thrown in. We want to stay at the Bryce View Lodge and do a half day horseback ride.

Looks like we will be doing the Zion Narrows but probably juat as a day hike. We may be doing Kolob Canyon as a 2-nighter, using the middle day just to explore.

I am also thinking of climbing Signal Peak and camping in the Pine Valley area. After that its back to Vegas for 2 nights and then back home.[/code][/url]

Oh...just one general question. How long can we expect the drive from Vegas to Bryce to be?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverWild
    Oh...just one general question. How long can we expect the drive from Vegas to Bryce to be?

It's about 4 hours to get to the east side of Zion National Park, then another hour to Bryce Canyon. You are going to Bryce before Zion?

It's about 4 hours to get to the east side of Zion National Park, then another hour to Bryce Canyon. You are going to Bryce before Zion?[/quote]

Thats the plan right now. It might change if we are unable to get an early flight.