Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from NY...planning my first Utah hiking vacation

Hello from NY...planning my first Utah hiking vacation

Hello All!

My name is Valerie. I am from upstate NY and I love it here. I am an avid Adirondack hiker. My boyfriend and I are up in the mountains here just about every weekend climbing mountains or backpacking.

I've decided its time to travel farther. I dream of seeing Utah. It seems so different. I thought of going with a guided group but thought I could do this myself. It would be so much cheaper to just fly into Vegas, rent a car and explore/camp/hike. I want a sampler of all that Utah has to offer. I'm hoping to get some help here. I am active on an Adirondack forum and have gained and shared much information there. I was very happy to find this forum. You all seem like a great bunch.

I am in the very beginning of planning my trip out west and my first question is: When is the best time to visit Utah for hiking?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm sure we can get ya in trouble

Welcome

I would say that you should in either the spring or the fall (Summer gets pretty hot).

I'm not sure how long you want to stay here or have in mind but if you spend a week here and you are willing to do a lot of driving, you can see a lot. This last August I had a friend come visit and we hit all 5 of our national parks, and another 2 personal favorite slot canyons in 4 days. It was a lot of driving and it's doable.

The thing to be aware of is that Utah's National Parks are spectacular (especially Zion, Bryce, & Arches) but during the summer months there are so many people, that is like being at the mall. They are still worth checking out, but you should be prepared for that.

Anyway, if you let us know what you want to do, we can tell you where you should go and probably even show you some pictures of our trips. Welcome to the site!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Bogley BigShot
    Do you have any idea what part of Utah you want to explore? Are you looking at national parks, monuments or remote wilderness?

Welcome

Welcome to the forum! Utah has some great hikes. You've come to the right place for hiking expertise!

Happy top meet ya. Ask any questions that you may have in the hiking or other forums. They will surely get answered...you have found the best resource for Outdoor information in Utah.

BTW- I am going to be in UpState NY next week. I planning on seeing Niagara falls, but is there anything else you might recommend checking out while I'm there?

Hi Valerie - welcome.

I'm an avid hiker/scrambler/climber in British Columbia, and I discovered the joys of Utah a couple of years ago. I headed to Moab with a friend for some hiking/biking in late September 2004. I've since returned in late May this year (Dark Canyon, near Hite) and then again in late September to Zion.

September in Moab was hot, but not unbearably. May in Dark Canyon was actually even hotter than I'd expected. Zion in late September was really, really pleasant. In fact Bryce (we spent a few hours there) was downright chilly, at its high elevation.

My suggestion would be to consider early spring and early fall. It warms up early in spring, and cools down quickly in fall, I find, compared to more temperate (moister) climates. Keep in mind that the day/night temperature difference can get very steep. This morning it was -7 C in Cedar City, and by noon it was 11 C. Your days will warm up, but the nights will be frosty!

I'm going to Utah again in February, to check out winter in the desert southwest, and I'll go there in summer, at some point too, for that experience...

I drove to Utah once, flew into SLC once, and February will be my second time flying to LAS and renting a car. LAS gives you cheap airfares, good rentals rates, and easy access to southern Utah - a great way to go. Planning a hiking trip doesn't take much - have a couple of ideas, then just wing it once you're there (if you're the type that can do that!) Be flexible, and try out new things.

This is a great place to search around for ideas and suggestions - enjoy your exploration of both Uutah and Utah! Let us know how your trip goes!

Kevin

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    BTW- I am going to be in UpState NY next week. I planning on seeing Niagara falls, but is there anything else you might recommend checking out while I'm there?

I was there once! Once time on the US side and the other on the NY side. It was dark though when I was on the US side ---- I spent my time checking out the guys --- I guess that does not help!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I spent my time checking out the guys --- I guess that does not help!

Thanks Tanya. I think if I get that bored, I just keep driving to my in-laws' house in Ohio.

I was there once! Once time on the US side and the other on the NY side.
    Um, were you ever on the Canadian side? Cuz I'm thinking the US side maybe is the NY side...

I was there once, too - Canadian side. Truly spectacular falls, but for nature lovers it's kind of nasty - so commercial and built up.

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks Tanya. I think if I get that bored, I just keep driving to my in-laws' house in Ohio.

I was just kidding, but it was in about 1990 that I was there. I was on my way back or to Judo tournaments each time. Did the USA side at night, but was told the Canadian side was great. We stopped there one day on the way to a tournament in Canada and did the usual tourist things. It was spectacular, but I can't remember anything in particular to let you know not to miss -- since I did a quickie trip with a big group of people.

It was spectacular there though! I doubt you will keep driving.

Did the USA side at night, but was told the Canadian side was great.
    What does that mean? I always hear that the Canadian side is better but I don't really understand. Does that mean that the U.S. side is more beautiful but you have to be on the Canadian side to see it? I don't know if that is clear but I'm wondering if the American view of the Canadian side is not as good as the Canadian view of the American side.

I guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks for responding Tanya!

Bogley BigShot
    Did the USA side at night, but was told the Canadian side was great.
    What does that mean? I always hear that the Canadian side is better but I don't really understand. Does that mean that the U.S. side is more beautiful but you have to be on the Canadian side to see it? I don't know if that is clear but I'm wondering if the American view of the Canadian side is not as good as the Canadian view of the American side.

I guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks for responding Tanya!
    If I remember right it is the Canadian side thats a better view from the Canadian side.

If I remember right it is the Canadian side thats a better view from the Canadian side.

I'm sure it will make more sense when I get there.

Thank you all for the welcome.

I'm planning on the 3rd week in September for the trail. We'll be sticking to the southern part of the state. Probably Zion and Bryce. We definitely want to do at least one, hoepfully two overnight hikes.

On Niagara Falls...I've only been there once, when I was a little kid. It is about a 6 hour drive from me so I know little about it. From what I do remember it was very touristy

Utah hiking in September is ideal in my opinion. Near the end of the month the leaves are starting to turn, and the temps start to drop. Zion and Bryce Nat'l Parks are a must do if visiting the SW part of the state.

Welcome to the site!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverWild
    We definitely want to do at least one, hopefully two overnight hikes.
    You should try and do the "Narrows" & the "Subway" in Zion. They are in the same park and they are spectacular. Bryce is about an hour from Zion and it can be seen in an afternoon (if you're quick).

You should try and do the "Narrows" & the "Subway" in Zion. They are in the same park and they are spectacular. Bryce is about an hour from Zion and it can be seen in an afternoon (if you're quick).
    Narrows and Subway are excellent suggestions. Subway is a day hike, the Narrows can been done as a long day but better as an overnight.

You might also want to put Buckskin Gulch on your "consider" list. its about 1 hour from Zion and is my favorite overnight adventure.

Buckskin
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

You might also want to put Buckskin Gulch on your "consider" list. its about 1 hour from Zion and is my favorite overnight adventure.

Buckskin
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

Thanks Iceaxe. I think I'll check that out too. I've never heard of it.