Thread: My walls have no insulation!

My walls have no insulation!

So I knew this, but it just dawned on my why I wear down vests, two pairs of socks and a blankie wrapped around my waist when I am home!

It's an old 1925 bungalow. There is a big ol' void space between the brick that is the ouside of the house and the lathe that is the inside walls of the house. About 8 inches of space between.

My nieghbors have the same exact floor plan. However, the husband is a dry wall contractor and he tore down all the outer wall lathe and put up insulation and drywall for practically nothing. I REALLY don't want to do that project.

Is there anything I can do? Do you think I could look down on this void from the attic above? Maybe fill it with that spray insulator stuff?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: My walls have no insulation!

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    Do you think I could look down on this void from the attic above? Maybe fill it with that spray insulator stuff?
    Unfortunately, you can't--it'd be nice, though. The 2x4 studs have to be secured to something on top, so there's sure to be a 2x4 header above all of them.

My house was built in 1930 and I have the same problem. :(

You (by which I mean an insulation company) can cut a small (2-3") hole in the top of the walls near the ceiling and spray insulation in. I would suggest against two part-two pound foam since it can push a wall right off the studs as it expands. There's this newspaper stuff that works just as well, doesn't expand like the foam, and is fire retardant. The kicker is that it's pretty hard once it's dry. That's good because it won't settle like older newspaper slurrys, but that means you can't run new wiring very easily. If you plan to run ethernet do it before. If you have clapboard siding the job can be done from the outside, but it sounds like you have brick. I'd bet you'd save enough in heating costs in five years to cover the project. And go with double pane windows. You may even qualify for a tax break.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Yeah it's brick all the way around.

Hmm, so I may need to contact an insulation company?

How about Roger and Tommy from This Old House! I love that show.

Yeah good idea. I would call those jokers from this old house.

fill the void with foam.

this is becoming very popular since mildew resistant injection foams have been introduced.
    my neighbor filled an air gap in his house (gap between interior and exterior brick) and his home is dramatically warmer. i was waiting to do mine until we were sure he got a decent return on his.

needless to say, it's next on my house "to do list".

Yeah it's brick all the way around.

Hmm, so I may need to contact an insulation company?

Roger and Tommy??? Hell no, call master carpenter Norm Abram from This Old House/The New Yankee Workshop....he's one skilled/creative SOB!
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    fill the void with foam.
    That's what my date said last night.

I'd call Tommy, but that Roger is only good for making your yard pretty. Don't ever let Rich near your walls. He only cares about the pipes inside.

Heck, if you watch This Old House you know as much about retrofit insulation as I do. They've done a ton of that stuff on there. I still can't do drywall very well, but I'm getting better (against my will). I only spend slightly more on gear than I do on tools, and I spend a lot on gear.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.