View Poll Results: Should trans fats be banned?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 37.50%
  • No

1 6.25%
  • I do not care

1 6.25%
  • Let the people use their brain and decide themselves

6 37.50%
  • I like jelly beans

2 12.50%

Thread: NYC bans trans fats

NYC bans trans fats

I think that somebody brought this up awhile ago, so forgive me if I am repeating this.........however, how many of you agree with NYC banning trans fats in restaurants? Some people disagree that the FDA approves one thing, and the state government limits it afterwards. We are comparing Federal Regulations to State, and the state has the right to "toughen up" a law.

I by no means think that trans fats are good for you, however, I do think that everybody has a brain in their head, and if they started limiting what they buy themselves, then the industry would have to listen to them and adjust according. Same with smoking, I mean, everybody knows that inhaling smoke cannot be good for you, and cigarettes are addictive, but you get some assclown suing the tobacco industry and getting millions of dollars because of his own ignorance. How would everybody feel if they started banning processed foods, because they are not as good for you? Hotdogs, hamburgers, and the like.

Ok, I'll step down off my soapbox and see if anybody else wants to comment.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16051436...15773?GT1=8816
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If they ban trans fats, I guess it's along the same lines of banning cigarettes, which are banned from a lot of places.

I guess it comes down to how far you think the gov't should control our lives. The basic role of the gov't is to provide military safety for it's citizens, among other FEW basic roles involving safety.

Saying what we can or can't eat, well..... I guess they can still eat trans fats, but not at restaurants. They could argue that trans fats are not illegal, just like cigarettes. You just can't use/access them in certain areas.

Well I must admit that I do like jelly beans, but banning trans fat seems a bit extreme, there a a lot of unhealthy things out there that people eat, so what is next, my beloved jelly beans?

Re: NYC bans trans fats

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    I by no means think that trans fats are good for you, however, I do think that everybody has a brain in their head...
    Bad assumption.

Part of the problem with trans fats in food, is that you don't know what has it, and what doesn't. And, its bad for you. And, pretty unnatural.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm

Heart disease is number one, baby.

Someone has to pay the cost...and rather than dump all these folks with heart problems onto the public tax tit, lets have ol' uncle sam help get rid of one thing that is a cause, that we don't need.

Talk to someone who works in a thorasic ICU...or anything related to heart surgury...

Ban 'em.

Denmark: the first nation to ban trans fats, the country decided to put the shelf life of humans ahead of the shelf life of a doughnut.

Now, if I could only find some hot chocolate that tastes decent that doesn't have trans fat...anyone?

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Now, if I could only find some hot chocolate that tastes decent that doesn't have trans fat...anyone?
    It's not quite "instant," but it's damned good:

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/cocoa.asp
    http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/reci...&page=1&per=10

I by no means think that trans fats are good for you, however, I do think that everybody has a brain in their head...
    Bad assumption.

Part of the problem with trans fats in food, is that you don't know what has it, and what doesn't. And, its bad for you. And, pretty unnatural.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm

Heart disease is number one, baby.

Someone has to pay the cost...and rather than dump all these folks with heart problems onto the public tax tit, lets have ol' uncle sam help get rid of one thing that is a cause, that we don't need.

Talk to someone who works in a thorasic ICU...or anything related to heart surgury...

Ban 'em.

Denmark: the first nation to ban trans fats, the country decided to put the shelf life of humans ahead of the shelf life of a doughnut.

-Brian in SLC

I am just saying that people need to take responsibility for their actions. Whether it is the food they eat, the way they drive, the sports they participate in, or the drugs they take, they need to use their head and decide for themselves. There is a risk in almost every part of our daily lives. I call it "cleansing the gene pool" if they choose an unwise route. Someone could say the same for me, if I died of eating twinkies! Abuse/misuse of alcohol causes many people to kill others each year in accidents. Smog, and pollution cause many aliments as well.
    ~Jason

I am just saying that people need to take responsibility for their actions. Whether it is the food they eat, the way they drive, the sports they participate in, or the drugs they take, they need to use their head and decide for themselves. There is a risk in almost every part of our daily lives. I call it "cleansing the gene pool" if they choose an unwise route. Someone could say the same for me, if I died of eating twinkies! Abuse/misuse of alcohol causes many people to kill others each year in accidents. Smog, and pollution cause many aliments as well.
    Then you could use the "twinkie defense"...

If folks would eat trans fats, get heart disease, and die on their own dime, I'd agree.

But they don't.

Stuff is bad. Like red dye number 7, asbestos or lead based paint.

Rises above "personal choice".

-Brian in SLC

Bogley BigShot

If folks would eat trans fats, get heart disease, and die on their own dime, I'd agree.

But they don't.

-Brian in SLC
    I have to agree with Brian. What he has been posting is exactly what my feelings are on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

But they don't.

-Brian in SLC
    I have to agree with Brian. What he has been posting is exactly what my feelings are on the subject.
    Fast food is very unhealthy if eaten as frequently as many americans do, even without transfats. Red meat can contribute to colon cancer. Most kinds of chocolates have hydrogenated oils in them. The list goes on. Ban all candy bars, or make a personal choice?

Oh, and if someone argues that their healthcare costs more because transfat, they might are correct, but so does reckless drivers, drunk drivers, smokers, people with high risk hobbies, and people that just eat way too much.
    ~Jason

Bogley BigShot

Fast food is very unhealthy if eaten as frequently as many americans do, even without transfats. Red meat can contribute to colon cancer. Most kinds of chocolates have hydrogenated oils in them. The list goes on. Ban all candy bars, or make a personal choice?

Oh, and if someone argues that their healthcare costs more because transfat, they might are correct, but so does reckless drivers, drunk drivers, smokers, and people that just eat way too much.

And all those unhealthy environmental conditions from the past (the really bad ones) are just another thing on the list we should ignore? Big business often only cares about money. Restaurants can make healthier food, it just costs more. Business can do a lot of things different so its healthier.. it just costs time and money to change. Without the government saying they have to clean up, they wont.

I REALLY enjoy living in Utah where I don't have to walk into a place where people have been smoking. That would have never happened without the Government stepping in.

Oh, and if someone argues that their healthcare costs more because transfat, they might are correct, but so does reckless drivers, drunk drivers, smokers, and people that just eat way too much.

And all those unhealthy environmental conditions from the past (the really bad ones) are just another thing on the list we should ignore? Big business often only cares about money. Restaurants can make healthier food, it just costs more. Business can do a lot of things different so its healthier.. it just costs time and money to change. Without the government saying they have to clean up, they wont.

I REALLY enjoy living in Utah where I don't have to walk into a place where people have been smoking. That would have never happened without the Government stepping in.
    I believe that we do need the government stepping in for certain things. I never said that I do not. I do believe that transfats are bad, but many foods in general are bad for you, and you are still able to buy them. Smoking is not as good of an analogy, because sitting next to someone smoking can affect you, sitting next to someone eating a burger cooked in transfats will not. Smoking was/is being banned because it can affect others secondhand. The FDA approved transfats, so in a way, the government already stepped in.

Would you support banning hotdogs, other processed foods, or all foods cooked in grease? I am not supporting transfats, I am supporting people's right to choose. This can go all ways, to hikers suing a national park because he got hurt in it (has already happened), because people cannot take responsibility for themselves. There are warnings up all over of how unhealthy certain foods are, yet people continue to eat them.

My question is: How far does the government need to go to protect you/us? Anything bad for us? What is bad for one, is considered good for another. Imagine that life without anything bad to hurt us
    ~Jason

Bogley BigShot

Would you support banning hotdogs, other processed foods, or all foods cooked in grease? I am not supporting transfats, I am supporting people's right to choose. This can go all ways, to hikers suing a national park because he got hurt in it (has already happened), because people cannot take responsibility for themselves. There are warnings up all over of how unhealthy certain foods are, yet people continue to eat them.

My question is: How far does the government need to go to protect you/us? Anything bad for us? What is bad for one, is considered good for another. Imagine that life without anything bad to hurt us

Good Point...... But I still think it would be good to eliminate some of the hidden stuff, like trans fat. What I dislike is how big business uses the cheapest things they can get away with instead of putting a little work and money into making things healthier or safer. I have no clue where I would set limits. Changes take a very long time to every get done.

Good Point...... But I still think it would be good to eliminate some of the hidden stuff, like trans fat. What I dislike is how big business uses the cheapest things they can get away with instead of putting a little work and money into making things healthier or safer. I have no clue where I would set limits. Changes take a very long time to every get done.
    I couldn't agree more. I think that big business' last priority is our health, their bottom dollar has the highest priority. I believe in government intervention in lots of things, but sometimes I just want the people to speak...kinda to make me proud....however, Uncle Sam usually has the babysit.
    ~Jason

Bogley BigShot

I couldn't agree more. I think that big business' last priority is our health, their bottom dollar has the highest priority. I believe in government intervention in lots of things, but sometimes I just want the people to speak...kinda to make me proud....however, Uncle Sam usually has the babysit.
    Lots of people had to speak their mind for this change or most changes to come about. It's just that most of us don't do anything until a change is made and them we get all uptight that we were not in on the battle.

Take a look at some of the work done
    http://www.bantransfats.com/

Lots of people had to speak their mind for this change or most changes to come about. It's just that most of us don't do anything until a change is made and them we get all uptight that we were not in on the battle.

Take a look at some of the work done
    http://www.bantransfats.com/
    Sorry, I should have clarified my statement. By the people speaking (in this instance), I was talking about the masses boycotting it by not purchasing food known to be cooked in it. I choose not to eat shark, and many other exotic ocean creatures because I believe that the rate they are being fished/eaten is not sustainable in the long run. I may not make that much of a difference, but at least their is one less plate of exotic fish in demand. I choose not to eat at certain places, and buy certain foods because I know that they are unhealthy, however, if I do eat at them, I take full responsibility for it, and I eat there in moderation (as in not each day).
    ~Jason

Sorry, I should have clarified my statement. By the people speaking (in this instance...
    Yep. Government, by the people...

That's how it works here in the good ol' U S of A. At least, that's how it "should" work.

Your shark situation would be more effective if you lobbied your elected officials to do something...

Not eating shark won't help much, methinks.

-Brian in SLC

Sorry, I should have clarified my statement. By the people speaking (in this instance...
    Yep. Government, by the people...

That's how it works here in the good ol' U S of A. At least, that's how it "should" work.

Your shark situation would be more effective if you lobbied your elected officials to do something...

Not eating shark won't help much, methinks.

-Brian in SLC
    Yeah, I know, that is why I said I didn't think it would do much, but it makes me feel better. Besides, unless it is about keeping our parks open, mtn biking (I just wrote a senator) or motorcyclists rights, I am not much for protesting, or writing a congressman....I know, I am a poseur!

Besides, catching exotic ocean creatures is big money, and international, I just do not have the energy. I would much rather bitch and moan to you guys on uutah!
    ~Jason

http://www.publicintegrity.org/lobby...t=topcompanies

Altria Group.

Ever wonder who'd have the most to loose if congress banned trans fats?

Makes ya wonder, when you hear a congressman say, "its a state's issue" if they've gotton money from a lobbiest...

A good read, from a number of years ago, if you're semi into such, is "Barbarians at the Gate".

-Brian in SLC

Sure, trans fats are bad.

BUT, was this voted upon by the PEOPLE or a few REPRESENTATIVES, or hell, a single judge? (sorry, i didn't read that much into it)

I'm for getting rid of the bad stuff, but I think the PEOPLE should vote for it, instead of a few REPS deciding for us.