Thread: Trekking Poles

Trekking Poles

How many of you use trekking poles when you are out hiking or backpacking? Are there times when you use them and other times that you don't? Do you use one or two? Are there certain brands of trekking poles that you would recommend to a first-time buyer?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I use them all the time when hiking or backpacking. I use them canyoneering if I'm going to be hiking up steep hills or in the Zion Narrows. I have a herniated disk, and I find the poles to be invaluable for protecting my back. I have probably close to 6 pairs, but many of them don't work (my kids used them for swords and quaterstaffs). If I'm concerned about weight, I have a Black Diamond pair - they are very very light, and on a trek I find that matters. If I'm not as concerned about weight, I use my Leki's. The BD poles seems a little fragile to me, although I haven't had any trouble with them. I don't bother with the shock absorber kind of poles - that just seems like something extra to break, although a friend uses them on backpacks and likes them.
    Deb

FYI - black diamond store( or warranty dept) sells lower sections of ski poles. likely you could find lower sections to many of their different poles if they break. ordinarily, the lower section costs about 15-20$ but if you're lucky, they'll just give it to ya.

I use trekking poles when hiking in winter or in snowy and icy conditions. I also use them when hiking in rivers like the Zion Narrows or San Rafael Black Box..... pretty much any time footing is an issue I guess I use them.

We'll use them quite a bit when snowshoeing in steep or off-camber terrain and they help a lot for traction and stability.

I bought the REI house brand which are made by Komperdell for around $50. They telescope twice with a twist lock, and have removable baskets for the snow. I like em. The "winter" version has rubber grips for the twist lock to make it easier to use with gloves on.

I have a set of Komperdell and really like them. I was hiking around on a bad knee and they really made a big difference. I'll continue to use them once my knee gets good enough to hike on.

I use one Leki pole when I hike with a heavy pack. It takes a bit of stress off my knee when going downhill. I am going to be getting a set of two poles for the next year.

I find them invaluable when hiking steep terrain with weight on my back. Mainly because they are knee savers on the descent. I think I would have died backpacking down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon without them. We did a 13 day backpack trek in the Swiss Alps and they were a saving grace there - coming down the scree strewn slopes the poles help take some of the burden off your knees and also helps with balance. I also use them whenever I snowshoe, helps a lot (again) with balance and getting up if you fall in deep snow! :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I have a couple I use all the time but I also have carved staffs & poles for years...gotta get some pics on here of 'em...I use the light weight stuff for long distance hikes and the hand carved staffs for bushwacking...and fending off varmints...badgers are a problem if you run into one out here! I've had to use it for such several times

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    and fending off varmints...
    You mean fending off young whippersnappers in yer neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    I have a couple I use all the time but I also have carved staffs & poles for years...gotta get some pics on here of 'em...I use the light weight stuff for long distance hikes and the hand carved staffs for bushwacking...and fending off varmints...badgers are a problem if you run into one out here! I've had to use it for such several times
    took me long enough but I got some pics here :