Thread: Suggestion for winter canyon

Suggestion for winter canyon

A question for ye canyon experts, my bro is coming in town for Christmas and we wanted to a canyon around then. Buckskin gulch is what we would like do to as he drives right by it coming from Phoenix, so what are the conditions like in december? I read the winter story from Ice's page and neither of us want to be on the next I shouldn't be alive. We have both done LWH and Bell, if not Buckskin then we were thinking about Ding/Dang any suggestions (non-technical)?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wouldn't do Buckskin this winter. More than likely, it is filled with water and ice. On the other hand, no harm in doing part of it.

Some drier areas on the CP include the Roost, Eastern Swell, Moab, Ticaboo, North Wash, and parts of Powell.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Moab and North Wash areas are pretty dry, and are very popular winter routes.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

How about Moonshine Wash and Horseshoe Canyon?

Buckskin could be dry or filled with water. Check with the rangers a couple days before. Then have a fall back if the canyon has water. The canyons actually hold less water in winter then in summer. I believe the cold dry air causes rapid evaporation.

there are many times during the winter that you can/will find deep cold pools of water ... anywhere there is a depression you can find water.

don't expect slots to be dry, regardless of what anyone (including kelsey) might suggest.

i have been disappointed numerous times in canyons kelsey has claimed should be dry. (note, he never hikes in the winter!!)

How about Moonshine Wash and Horseshoe Canyon?
    And Labyrinth Canyon (includes Moonshine)

Horseshoe is part of the Roost.

Oh yes, and since you're coming from AZ, what about the Marble Canyon stuff? Usually warmer than UT. Lot's of great stuff, including slot canyons.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Moonshine is looking like what we'll do, thanks for your advise.