Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Staircase-Escalante: Yellow Rock

Bogley BigShot

Grand Staircase-Escalante: Yellow Rock

We did it.....

-----------but don't ever go in December without neoprene socks!!!!!!!!!!!

We crossed the river near the end of the hike..... and it was so COLD! Not COLD actually ---- FrEeZzInG!!!!!

The only thing worse was having to do it over and over again!!!! We rolled up our pants to try and keep them dry, which did not work since the water was so deep in places.

We are even all cut up from the ice...... You would have to do this to understand! I mean this hurt!!! It was all shady too, not a drop of sunlight to warm us!

But we still had fun --- oh my aching legs!

Photos and trail report to come.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We crossed it several times (at least a dozen) on a February trip while doing the Hogey/Sam Pollock/Hackberry loop then up the Box. Water can be a bit chilly.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I was going to go this week but I bought a car instead. I would love to see some pictures if you have them.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Yes, I would also definitely like to see pictures. -R

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    We crossed it several times (at least a dozen) on a February trip while doing the Hogey/Sam Pollock/Hackberry loop then up the Box. Water can be a bit chilly.
    Scott!!!! Please tell me you had neoprene socks!!!!! If not, you are my idol! I always pack those in the winter, but its been so warm I am not in winter mode yet. It was brittle cold up there on that hike. My body was toasty, due to all those high tech underwear gadgets, but when I touched my face, which was chilly, I could tell the temperature was not all that warm anymore!

Do you have a write up of your hike? I have done Hackberry, but not as a loop. I would love to read it --- But I am avoiding water until its warm again. I love walking down streams like Hackberry, but for me doing them in the winter takes the joy out of them.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    I was going to go this week but I bought a car instead. I would love to see some pictures if you have them.
    Bring ... LONG... THICK neoprene socks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bo will have a good map and trail report written up soon. I have not found the hike in Kelseys book yet....... maybe Bo has my copy? But anyway there is suppose to be some Cache hidden in a canyon down at the Paria --- we did not find it, but gave up searching in canyons and figured it was one of the last ones we came upon. I would love to see what's in that box and read Kelseys story of it. Do you have his trail report? Does anyone have a trail report of their own?

I always have pictures

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Yes, I would also definitely like to see pictures. -R
    Pictures!

I should have time to complete a photo album of the hike today and will post a few more.

See that ice in the Paria! COLD!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Brrrrr, looks freakin cold!

Want to go wading with me? There is nothing like a nice, brisk toe dip in the Paria

That area looks just like up here from Sheepcreek Canyon(south of Manila) north to Devils Playground all along Flaming Gorge...rock and all, exept for the severe lack of moisture here and the fact that it's 0 to -18 right now down there with a 15MPH wind...no safe hiking for me!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    That area looks just like up here from Sheepcreek Canyon(south of Manila) north to Devils Playground all along Flaming Gorge...rock and all, exept for the severe lack of moisture here and the fact that it's 0 to -18 right now down there with a 15MPH wind...no safe hiking for me!
    I would have enjoyed a lack of moisture on Sunday

My Yellow Rock Album

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index32.htm

--- We are just writing the hike to Yellow Rock and back rather than the loop we did. We are going to do a different one that involves this arch and maybe an exit at the canyon with the hidden cache. This Red Dome can be seen from Yellow Rock, but we hiked over near it. The Arch was at the end of the wash the map we followed led us to. We had to find an alternate exit though.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nice, Tanya, thanks. Sorry you had to freeze to get these great pictures. I love it out there and can't wait to get back in the Spring.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Nice, Tanya, thanks. Sorry you had to freeze to get these great pictures. I love it out there and can't wait to get back in the Spring.

Win
    Those kinds of hikes always end up being my favorite. I guess I like torture or something.

The weather is suppose to be good this week --- no snow! The Staircase is still open to explore!

I am not kidding - this area looks EXACTLY like the slickrock area north of Vernal...amazing stuff! I drool everytime I drive past it

Bogley BigShot
    I am not kidding - this area looks EXACTLY like the slickrock area north of Vernal...amazing stuff! I drool everytime I drive past it

Slickrock bike looking country ... but I don't think Bikes are allowed on these trails Have to do them on foot.

what I actually meant was Entrada and Navajo sandstone formations...only hikeable stuff...lots of vertical, lots of arches, only a little bit accessible via bike. From the Simplot Phosphates mining area down the south slope of the uintahs down to where Red Fleet State Park starts & then running east & west from Jones Hole/Dinosaur Natnl Mon area west into the Uintah Range( geological formations have always been a fascination with me) Also the Drive through the Ages goelogical loop runs this area from Manila UT south to Vernal...awesome area

Right on Greyhaired biker! Vernal does have lots of the same geologic formations as farther south yet gets ignored. Anyway, you poked much around the Red Desert of Wyoming? I assume there must be some slot canyons in the area, but haven't had the time to poke around.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Bogley BigShot
    what I actually meant was Entrada and Navajo sandstone formations...only hikeable stuff...lots of vertical, lots of arches, only a little bit accessible via bike. From the Simplot Phosphates mining area down the south slope of the uintahs down to where Red Fleet State Park starts & then running east & west from Jones Hole/Dinosaur Natnl Mon area west into the Uintah Range( geological formations have always been a fascination with me) Also the Drive through the Ages goelogical loop runs this area from Manila UT south to Vernal...awesome area
    Am I lost and confused. It happens often.

I have no doubt you bike guys could easily do these trails, but I am not sure sure bikes are allowed-- is what I was thinking. The terrain looks similar to the bike shots you guys put up? On Cannan where you mentioned riding bikes before ATVs go, but its Wildnerss Study and they are not suppose to go there. As for the GSENM I have no clue? I know ATVs are not allowed on the trails, but I have never heard about mountain bikes one way or the other --- which means I assume they are not allowed on hiking trails. Scott? Shane? Anyone know? If they were you guys would have a ball! There are many trails in the GSENM that are open to mountains bikes and ATVs though --- just not the ones I posted. Anyone ever biked out there??

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Right on Greyhaired biker! Vernal does have lots of the same geologic formations as farther south yet gets ignored. Anyway, you poked much around the Red Desert of Wyoming? I assume there must be some slot canyons in the area, but haven't had the time to poke around.
    Red Desert area is VAST! and largely open to any kind of travel but I havent had time to explore it much either..by explore I mean on foot or bike. It's too remote to risk being out in it without letting someone know where you intend on going, since there is rarely anyone out there. A jeep buddy of mine says there is an area just north of RockSprings that has lots of 'low altitude' canyons and crevasses that the indians used to use to corral the wild horses that are still living in the area but I have yet to explore them.
    ...as for Vernal, what an awesome area to explore! Someone from Vernal Geocachers has put dozens of caches out in the north area up in the sandstone & arches area that I have put an earmark on to find and explore next spring...SO EXCITED!

Red Desert area is VAST! and largely open to any kind of travel but I havent had time to explore it much either..by explore I mean on foot or bike. It's too remote to risk being out in it without letting someone know where you intend on going, since there is rarely anyone out there. A jeep buddy of mine says there is an area just north of RockSprings that has lots of 'low altitude' canyons and crevasses that the indians used to use to corral the wild horses that are still living in the area but I have yet to explore them.
    ...as for Vernal, what an awesome area to explore! Someone from Vernal Geocachers has put dozens of caches out in the north area up in the sandstone & arches area that I have put an earmark on to find and explore next spring...SO EXCITED!

certainly looking forward to any photos you will post on the areas you mention. sounds great. how long does it take for you to get there?

you're in rock springs right? man, rock springs-green river are pretty tough towns. some rowdy folks there .... once, unbeknownst to me at the time, i narrowly averted (by 15 minutes) a (small) bar room brawl there after the rehersal dinner of a good buddy of mine (as 3 of us left to get some food). the stories i heard the following day, including the interaction with the local police, were a li'l bit unnerving, to say the least. it was clear that, although some of us were locals from rock springs, the majority of us were "outsiders" in the old wild west sort of sense. wild stuff.