Thread: Stansbury Island

Stansbury Island

I Hit Stansbury Island on Nov 18 with my brother. It was 11.4 miles by my GPS and we took 2 hours 31 minutes from start to finish. The first 1/2 mile is a steep climb, about 650 feet. I hadn't been biking in a while so I was feeling the burn. After we got to the top of the climb we took a breather and enjoyed the grand view we had of all the smog( see pictures). The ride for the next few miles was no sweat elevation wise but there were a few rocky points that slowed us down along with a tight turn or two on single track. We passed several different groups of scouts hiking along the trail. On the descent once we got to the double track I wanted to see how fast I could go, and I got up to 26.4 mph but as I was lightly braking to make a slight turn, my rear tire lost grip and I started to slide, I thought I was a goner. I straightened out but I shot off the trail doing so. I was going about 25 mph through the bushes but somehow made it make to the trail without hitting as rock or anything else. Once we made it to the dirt road it was as smooth ride all the way back to the trailhead.
    To get there take 1-80 west to exit 84, take a right at the exit and head west on the frontage road. Stay on the dirt road for about 6.5 miles and you will see a sign for the Stansbury Island mountain bike trail.

Pics to come...
    Attached Images Attached Images              

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Updated with pictures. That is all. Seriously.

Thanks for the pics and trip report! I just added this to the Trip Report Index.

Keep on riding all year long.

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED THIS RIDE IN DECEMBER OR JANUARY...BUDDY TOLD ME IT IS A GOOD WINTER RIDE.
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

Quote Originally Posted by chromehead58
    HAVE YOU EVER TRIED THIS RIDE IN DECEMBER OR JANUARY...BUDDY TOLD ME IT IS A GOOD WINTER RIDE.
    I have ridden it in the winter. Good to get out for a bit. In the general I would say that the trail BLOWS!! Not too many choices in the winter tho.

I just rode it for the first time this summer, I thought it was pretty fun, actually. Not a stellar ride, but definately enjoyable, some really fun cruisin' sections. Cool.

Nice pics!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

In general it's very rolly with some steep sections. I guess it would depend on what you are looking for, it's not like coming down the Mill Creek side of the Crest or something like that. There's a nice big climb to get up ( one-mile, 800-vertical feet), I reckon you could bomb down that. :D
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

well, anyone who's ridden with me knows Ill bomb down anything so --- I guess Ill have to try it out next year. Im planning on doing alot ore riding down there this coming year