Thread: TR - So. Coyote Buttes - Paw Hole

TR - So. Coyote Buttes - Paw Hole

My wife and I took off toward Wahweap for the weekend. We first went to Kanab and after some confusion on my part were able to get permits for South Coyote Buttes.

Luckily I was armed with a printout from Tanya's excellent site. The turn off House Rock Valley Rd is unmarked, so mileage is important. The road in is pretty sandy but there was a Subaru Outback and 4WD pickup at the TH.

This is where the BLM needs to step up. The people at the Kanab office never mentiond how to enter the hiking area, alot of this area is wilderness. All the prominent tracks led away from the entry point, an unmarked gate on a fence. You really want to think the fence is to keep you out when it's actually where you should be. Everyone including me was in the wrong place.

I finally figured it out and we got into the right place. The features are excellent and we found the sand bowl and an area very similar to the Wave. We only spent about 1 1/2 hours wandering around, some of which was not very productive.

The ride back to 89 late in the day was spectacular. I could not believe the colors that were showing. I'll definetly go back and explore some more after the New Year.

To top off everything I had my camera apertutre screwed up and everything is way over exposed! I suck.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot

Re: TR - So. Coyote Buttes - Paw Hole

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    My wife and I took off toward Wahweap for the weekend. We first went to Kanab and after some confusion on my part were able to get permits for South Coyote Buttes.

Luckily I was armed with a printout from Tanya's excellent site. The turn off House Rock Valley Rd is unmarked, so mileage is important. The road in is pretty sandy but there was a Subaru Outback and 4WD pickup at the TH.

This is where the BLM needs to step up. The people at the Kanab office never mentiond how to enter the hiking area, alot of this area is wilderness. All the prominent tracks led away from the entry point, an unmarked gate on a fence. You really want to think the fence is to keep you out when it's actually where you should be. Everyone including me was in the wrong place.

I finally figured it out and we got into the right place. The features are excellent and we found the sand bowl and an area very similar to the Wave. We only spent about 1 1/2 hours wandering around, some of which was not very productive.

The ride back to 89 late in the day was spectacular. I could not believe the colors that were showing. I'll definetly go back and explore some more after the New Year.

To top off everything I had my camera apertutre screwed up and everything is way over exposed! I suck.

Win
    You got lost even with my trail report? Do I need to fix, add or delete something?

Re: TR - So. Coyote Buttes - Paw Hole

Dang.... that really sucks!

Tanya, your TR was fine. The confusion came on site. There is nothing to indicate that you should enter the gate. Once in we were fine and had a great time, just wished I hadn't spent time looking instead of exploring.
    Maybe if you add that you need to go right from the first dune and look for the gate in the fence.

I met someone the next day that works at Wahweap and he had the same problem and solved it like we did. I know the BLM doesn't want signs and cairns all over but one lillte sign would have saved everyone wandering in the Wiilderness area.

On another subject. On the way back from Wahweap we stopped at the "Toadstool" area off 89. Several of the white hoodoos had additional rocks added to their tops by some inconsiderate people. I carefully removed a few but some I couldn't comfortably reach. I had been there before and not seen this.

Yeah, Ice, pretty dumb!

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Bogley BigShot
    Hey Win.... headed out to this area today. Will take my trip report and follow it and see about that fence you are talking about

Cross your fingers.. Its snowing for luck for me.

Tanya, HRR can't be fun in the snow! I almost went out that way yesterday but ended up in Red Cliffs, Snow Canyon and up on the East side. Lot of driving but alot of fun!

Looking forward to an excellent TR, as usual.

Win

Bogley BigShot
    Tanya, HRR can't be fun in the snow! I almost went out that way yesterday but ended up in Red Cliffs, Snow Canyon and up on the East side. Lot of driving but alot of fun!

Looking forward to an excellent TR, as usual.

Win
    It was great in the snow! I love snow storms and rain storms. There is a new sign up at Paw Hole that says park here and walk. I am about to upload the photos. I have my fingers crossed for some really good ones. The sky was GORGEOUS!!!! There was even a rainbow but it was too far away to be too good of a photo.

Here is what we have for the fence issue now....
    Park and go through the fence, headed north - northeast toward the hoodoos and buttes. There is no established trail, instead this route is more of an exploration around the hoodoos. From the trailhead, the southeast side of the trailhead offers some nice formations.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-butte.htm

So the confusion is that you felt you should hike on the outside of the fence? I sort of felt that way too. I will change the description to make it clear that you just make your way past the fence and explore the area inside it.

I have only briefly been up to Red Cliffs and Snow Canyon way but its pretty!

Glad you had a fun trip, some really nice photos, as usual. I will need to try that but I'll take a dry day. Did you air down to get in past Paw Hole?

Glad you could check out Paw Hole. Yes everybody was going around to the left. When we came down and exited the gate it made sense.

I really like Snow Canyon but there are not alot of hikes. I like it from the photography standpoint and can always find something new. I went up past Silver Reef abit and visited the old charcoal kiln and then just
    scampered around on some of the red rock.

Win

Bogley BigShot
    Glad you had a fun trip, some really nice photos, as usual. I will need to try that but I'll take a dry day. Did you air down to get in past Paw Hole?

Glad you could check out Paw Hole. Yes everybody was going around to the left. When we came down and exited the gate it made sense.

I really like Snow Canyon but there are not alot of hikes. I like it from the photography standpoint and can always find something new. I went up past Silver Reef abit and visited the old charcoal kiln and then just
    scampered around on some of the red rock.

Win

No, the rover goes over that sand likes its nothing. It was actually easier to drive out to White Pocket than Cottowood Teepees... or at least about the same. The short road out to Paw Hole was really sandy this time. There is a real gate I think we just went under or over the fence and we went in a different way than we went out too. A gate would have been nice. We will have to run down to that next time and check it out!