Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 Day Hikes in Utah

Bogley BigShot

Re: Top 3 Day Hikes in Utah

[quote="stefan"]
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    well, i'd be interested in what you think of it ... i mean, it doesn't have the most spectacular forest, and you don't really have views below the rim and i know a lot of people wouldn't place it high on their list, but i included because of the views, the trees and some of the times i have spent there. also along the southern part of the trail along the rim, it's kinda nice to head off trail to the rock out-croppings, to stare down the vertical cliffs to a sea of forest with the white cliffs off in the distance.

where were you planning on heading?
    I love Bryce. If I could pick one place that has initial shock value for downright awesome beauty --- that is Bryce Canyon. It's just like WOW!

Sort of in that area... Yellow Rock or White Pocket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I really love Observation Point in Zion as well. Again (I must really like variety) you have varied terrain and spectacular views and just an amazing hike. Cant go wrong.
    Observation Point is a great one! I love that steady uphill climb (hate the downhill though) and that section with Echo Canyon and of course the view point at the end of the trail! That's where one of my avatar photos is from.

What issue of Backpacker was the listing of the day hikes? Would it be November? I can't find my copy.

Anyway, any loop hike in the Needles District would be at the top of my must do list. The bigger the loop the better, go up Peek-a-boo from Squaw Flat, hang a right at Lost Canyon and eventually make way over to Chesler Park before the long walk back to the campground. The trails in Needles are well made. You can cover a lot of ground on them.

#2 for me would have to be the Coyote Gulch loop also mentioned by others. That hike covers a variety of terriority after stepping off from the metal tank although the trek back via the sandy exit near the confluence with the Escalante can be taxing, but what scenery.

#3 might be Fish and Owl Creek Canyons over in Cedar Mesa although there are other loop hikes in that area that contain treasures equally as exciting. Been ten years since my one and only visit. Need to get back there.

A subset of great day hikes ought to be point to pointers. East Entrance of Zion down to Weeping Rock would be an easy one. Hitch or get someone to drop you off at the start and eventually take the park bus shuttle back to your own car after the hike's completion. Starting from Lava Point with arrival at Grotto might be a better choice but involve a longer car shuttle. Or go all out and do the Bo Beck Trek: Kolob to East Entrance or vice versa; whichever, it would actually be a nightdaynight hike.

Canaan Mtn (Water Canyon to Eagle Crags) would be a nifty hardcore point to pointer, and involve a long shuttle.

An easier shuttle or hitchhike could be used to do the Boulder Mail trail that somewhat parallels rt 12 near the town of Escalante. Approach with caution, this hike will go postal on you if you're not in shape for a romp thru rolling slickrock.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by erial
    What issue of Backpacker was the listing of the day hikes? Would it be November? I can't find my copy.

Is this oneline Somewhere?

East Entrance of Zion down to Weeping Rock would be an easy one. Hitch or get someone to drop you off at the start and eventually take the park bus shuttle back to your own car after the hike's completion.

Make it a bit more interesting and add Cable Mountain, Deertrap Mountain and if the weather and water in the canyon permits a bit of Echo Canyon. If I remember right that was 26 miles. My toes hurt after that!

Starting from Lava Point with arrival at Grotto might be a better choice but involve a longer car shuttle. Or go all out and do the Bo Beck Trek: Kolob to East Entrance or vice versa; whichever, it would actually be a nightdaynight hike.

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!! Only insane people do the 52 mile hike across Zion in one day! .. Like Bo and you? Is this Jeff?

Canaan Mtn (Water Canyon to Eagle Crags) would be a nifty hardcore point to pointer, and involve a long shuttle.

My favorite!!!!

Sort of in that area... Yellow Rock or White Pocket[/color]
    go to white pocket if you want to spend a bit of time, yellow rock for a short jaunt.

how bout some recent photos of zion in the snow?

[quote="tanya"]
    ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!! Only insane people do the 52 mile hike across Zion in one day! .. Like Bo

yeah, i did it as a 3 night backpack which was quite nice. i know some people like to rush things, but what's the point of watching everything speed by you at the speed of light?

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Sort of in that area... Yellow Rock or White Pocket[/color]
    go to white pocket if you want to spend a bit of time, yellow rock for a short jaunt.

I want a long killer hike again this weekend! I am hoping the snow does not make the road too difficult to pass. White Pocket it is! We headed out there one weekend, not long ago and Bo got a little crazy in a mud puddle and the rover stalled all day until it dried out. We got rides all the way to Kanab quickly then just turned around to see if it worked.. and it did. I was not feeling like hiking so I got a kick out of not having to hike that weekend.

Bogley BigShot
    [quote="stefan"]
    ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!! Only insane people do the 52 mile hike across Zion in one day! .. Like Bo

yeah, i did it as a 3 night backpack which was quite nice. i know some people like to rush things, but what's the point of watching everything speed by you at the speed of light?

Its one of those challenge things. Jeff who did it is 57 (I think, not sure) and Bo is 50. Impressive! The younger people that tried did not make it. I don't move at the speed of light (as Shane says I dont do anything too fast) because I like to take lots of photos. If a hike has little to take photos of or I have done it before and dont want new photos I can zip through pretty quick, but nothing like the long legged guys. A young guy that works for Bo, Woody... 6'5 or close? Did that Water Canyon to Eagle Crags between 7am and 3pm in one day!!!! Yeeeouch!!!!

Its one of those challenge things. Jeff who did it is 57 and Bo is 50. Impressive! The younger people that tried did not make it. I don't move at the speed of light (as Shane says I dont do anything too fast) because I like to take lots of photos. If a hike has little to take photos of or I have done it before and dont want new photos I can zip through pretty quick, but nothing like the long legged guys. A young guy that works for Bo, Woody... 6'5 or close? Did that Water Canyon to Eagle Crags between 7am and 3pm in one day!!!! Yeeeouch!!!!
    yeah yeah ... i know ... and if i lived in zion and did these hikes ALL the friggin time i'd probably look for interesting challeneges too. it is a testament to endurance and health ... kudos to them!

Bogley BigShot

You do love the white stuff, but you have read my mind. I just redid my main Zion album. And am redoing anything that is old and done with small photos, which includes..... the Snow shots! I want to get out and get some of Zion when some snow finally sticks --- none yet!

Here is my redone Zion album. I will replace some of the photos in it as I get some more good ones. I really am happy with this one though.

New Album
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index30.htm

Old Winter one that I will redo soon!
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...ms/index36.htm

If weather cooperates I will redo my Flash Flood album as well.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by erial

Anyway, any loop hike in the Needles District would be at the top of my must do list. The bigger the loop the better, go up Peek-a-boo from Squaw Flat, hang a right at Lost Canyon and eventually make way over to Chesler Park before the long walk back to the campground. The trails in Needles are well made. You can cover a lot of ground on them.

#2 for me would have to be the Coyote Gulch loop also mentioned by others. That hike covers a variety of terriority after stepping off from the metal tank although the trek back via the sandy exit near the confluence with the Escalante can be taxing, but what scenery.

#3 might be Fish and Owl Creek Canyons over in Cedar Mesa although there are other loop hikes in that area that contain treasures equally as exciting. Been ten years since my one and only visit. Need to get back there.

A subset of great day hikes ought to be point to pointers. East Entrance of Zion down to Weeping Rock would be an easy one. Hitch or get someone to drop you off at the start and eventually take the park bus shuttle back to your own car after the hike's completion. Starting from Lava Point with arrival at Grotto might be a better choice but involve a longer car shuttle. Or go all out and do the Bo Beck Trek: Kolob to East Entrance or vice versa; whichever, it would actually be a nightdaynight hike.

An easier shuttle or hitchhike could be used to do the Boulder Mail trail that somewhat parallels rt 12 near the town of Escalante. Approach with caution, this hike will go postal on you if you're not in shape for a romp thru rolling slickrock.

Is this Jeff!?!?!?! The crazy hiker that did Zion in a day with Bo? The handsome guy behind Bo in the photo? It has to be!

Yep, the one and only. Bo had me on a short leash. And for the record that photo was taken at the only point in the whole hike that was flat and non-sandy. Which explains somewhat the temporary smiles on the faces of the subject crazy hikers.

Bogley BigShot
    I knew it! ----sneaky I was there at the end. You still had lots of energy to keep going! Yeah.. that was not your average 52 mile hike... all those that dropped out with testify to that one!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Is this Jeff!?!?!?! The crazy hiker that did Zion in a day with Bo? The handsome guy behind Bo in the photo? It has to be!
    The picture isn't showing...

Odd? I see it? See it now?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Best 3 hikes.. I dont think you can name just 3.

I love the Maple Canyon Loop hike (fountain green)
    Provo peak or the Cascade Saddle
    No one likes Timp? You just need to do it on a sunday to keep the zoob factor down.

Are these near/in SLC or your favorites of all time?
    Some of my favorites, but not really my top 3 .
    I know how amazing all the central/southern Utah hikes are but i am surprised no one has listed kings peak or anything in the north half of the state.
    I do timp at least once a year, it a really good hike. If you have not done it a suggest you get going.

My top three, (at least today as I sit here) which seem to be some of the rest of you folks' favorites:

1. Subway (Das boot route if you have the gear and know what you're doing)
    2. Orderville Canyon
    3. Provo Peak from south fork of Provo Canyon.

These are the hikes I love. Yes, two are "slot" canyons but great hikes. Now if we are talking technical canyons..... that is another thing all together.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Provo Peak from south fork of Provo Canyon.
    Are you taking the big springs trail and then ridge walking to Provo Peak.

That is the one. I was a 5th grade camp counselor for Provo School District while I was in college and I hiked that hike for 5 weeks straight for three years "motivating" 120-130 fifth graders each week to make it to lightening ridge. It is still one of my favorite hikes.
    Life is Good

That is the one. I was a 5th grade camp counselor for Provo School District while I was in college and I hiked that hike for 5 weeks straight for three years "motivating" 120-130 fifth graders each week to make it to lightening ridge. It is still one of my favorite hikes.
    I have done that hike one time, It was fantastic! We were going to camp on th e saddle then summit cascade in the morning. But my buddy cut his finger up pretty bad. We camped on right on the ridge, rocky but the view is about as good as it gets.
    Next summer I am going to bike this trail, I know there will be alot of pushing up the Big Springs side, But it will be a very long downhill ride down Dry Fork and Rock Canyon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot
    I LOVE your new avatar!