Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 3 Day Hikes in Utah

Top 3 Day Hikes in Utah

Backpacker magazine just came out with it's list of America's Best Day Hikes. For Utah, they listed three (in order of "best"-ness):

1) Zion Narrows
    2) Delicate Arch
    3) Fairyland Loop in Bryce.

What would you rate as the top three day hikes in Utah? (Imagine you have only 3 days to live and must hike each day.) To broaden things, include canyoneering trips if you feel the need to do so.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot

Re: Top 3 Day Hikes in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Backpacker magazine just came out with it's list of America's Best Day Hikes. For Utah, they listed three (in order of "best"-ness):

1) Zion Narrows
    2) Delicate Arch
    3) Fairyland Loop in Bryce.

What would you rate as the top three day hikes in Utah? (Imagine you have only 3 days to live and must hike each day.) To broaden things, include canyoneering trips if you feel the need to do so.

I LOVE #1 and #3... never did #2. Does it really deserve to be up there?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    oh now tanya ... we all know that utah is famous for its arches, and that arch there ... well, it's pretty DAMN hard to beat that arch, with it's basin below, the cliff beyond, the spectacular views in all directions, the la sal mountains, the boatloads of people, the fire scars, the rope grooves, ...

yeah it surely has every right to be up there.

i am shocked you've never been. i think every corner of southern utah deserves focus.

As a destination, I think so. But as a hike? I don't find the hike especially thrilling other than when you come around the corner and finally see the arch appear out of nowhere...breathtaking.

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    oh now tanya ... we all know that utah is famous for its arches, and that arch there ... well, it's pretty DAMN hard to beat that arch, with it's basin below, the cliff beyond, the spectacular views in all directions, the la sal mountains, the boatloads of people, the fire scars, the rope grooves, ...

yeah it surely has every right to be up there.

i am shocked you've never been. i think every corner of southern utah deserves focus.

You have hiked a lot. What are your top 3 hikes?

Bogley BigShot

As a destination, I think so. But as a hike? I don't find the hike especially thrilling other than when you come around the corner and finally see the arch appear out of nowhere...breathtaking.

What are your top 3 Brew! You have been around the Utah hiking quite a bit!

Hard to argue with the Backpacker mag list....

But just to be different here is my top three non-tech hikes:

Black Hole
    Subway (from the top)
    Buckskin Gulch

We need to get Tanya out of the kitchen.... err... I mean out of Zion for some fun exploring.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Hard to argue with the Backpacker mag list....

But just to be different here is my top three non-tech hikes:

Black Hole
    Subway (from the top)
    Buckskin Gulch

We need to get Tanya out of the kitchen.... err... I mean out of Zion for some fun exploring.

Leave Zion!?!?!?!?!? --- I do a little --- once in a while.

I have heard the name Black Hole. What's so great about it? Why is it your favorite? I put Kolob Creek way way way way above Subway! I would put a vote in for Subway if you add Das Boot to it. Buckskin I am doing this spring I hope. We were going to do it this month but its full of water.

Read my pre qualifications..... I said non-techie.

The Black Hole is just an awesome hike

The Black Hole of White Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole.htm

Bogley BigShot
    Read my pre qualifications..... I said non-techie.

The Black Hole is just an awesome hike

The Black Hole of White Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole.htm
    Those are not technical .. they just need a little bit of rope to do them.

Of the ones I have done .... I would list:

1. Canaan Mountain to Eagle Crags
    2. South Canyon to Vasey's Paradise - Grand Canyon
    3. Maybe Bridge Mountain, but it would have to be with a snow storm and flash flooding like we has last June! I guess Bridge has that major climbing section though ---- Holding out to see if Buckskin fits the bill.

Chimney on Bridge Mountain

Kolob is non-tech??? using the MIA exit/entrance blows..... and you still have one rappel.

I would NEVER list Das Boot as non-tech.... it has two manadory rappels, one of which can currently be avoided if the old log has not washed out.

just my opinion

Bogley BigShot
    Kolob is non-tech??? using the MIA exit/entrance blows..... and you still have one rappel.

I would NEVER list Das Boot as non-tech.... it has two manadory rappels, one of which can currently be avoided if the old log has not washed out.

just my opinion
    I was just kidding .... of course they are quite technical. (Sorry bad joke.. exhausted!) Kolob is really technical...... I have the Zion Canyon's listed from what I thought was easiest to hardest. Kolob is the hardest of the ones I have done. --->
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...nyoneering.htm

I was not thrilled with the MIA exit either. I was really not too thrilled with the Cougar we met close to the bottom of it! I don't know where it went after we scared it away but I am glad he was not impressed with that exit either!

Based on my limited experience (I haven't done The Narrows or Buckskin, etc.) here are some that I rate highly:

1) Chesler Park (including the Cracks) via Elephant Hill
    2) Angel's Landing
    3) Kane Gulch to Bullet Canyon (the longest hike I've ever taken because we were constantly going off trail to search for ruins and such)

Also, I'm curious about Shane's categorization of the Subway as non-technical. Could you elaborate?

Top Three

My top three so far...

http://richardbarron.net/galleries/anytrail/lwhc/
    http://richardbarron.net/galleries/a...l/CheslerPark/
    http://richardbarron.net/galleries/anytrail/PeekaBoo/

But there are about a quillion that deserve to go on the list.

I agree with some that Delicate Arch is a cool destination (which is why, after all, I got married there), but the hike itself is easy and relatively uninteresting. There's no reason not to see it, though, since it's so easy to access.

Also, I'm curious about Shane's categorization of the Subway as non-technical. Could you elaborate?
    Experianced hikers or athletic individuals do not need technical gear or knowledge to descend the Subway. But you do need a 60 foot rope or webbing to use as a handline in a couple of places. And you might need to use some team work with your parnters.

Lots of people descent the Subway each year without the knowledge of how to rappel. This was also how I did my first descent of the Subway years ago.

First time I went through the Subway we carried 30' of webbing with a knot tied every 1' to use as a handline. Only problem with carrying 30' is you are forced to leave the webbing at the final obstacle. 60' of webbing allows you to loop the webbing around the bolts and retrieve it.

The major obstacles in the Subway are navigation, swimming and a couple of 5' to 8' drops that you do not want to jump because you might break an ankle.

Now days when I do the Subway I carry a harness and rope for my beginners or children so I can lower them down, but all the experienced or physical people just downclimb the obstacles with a spot from below or a handline from above.

Bogley BigShot

Just like Shane said, and Orderville Canyon is the same. In fact Orderville is easier to do without a rope than the Subway I think. --- but taking a rope for emergencies is always suggested!

I think Orderville is a little easier then Subway. At least here is no major navigation that will get you in trouble if ya mess it up. You will also need a short rope for handlines and such in Orderville.

The big deal with these obstacles in Orderville and Subway is if someone shows you the secret "oh my god" hand holds and the "I didn't see that" passage way they are pretty simple. But you are sure to miss some of the easy bypass type stuff the first time so you will want a rope to make up for your oversight.

These are the type obstacles that teenage boys blow right over and then say they don't know what the big deal is..... while middle aged beginners curse the route description for understating the problems.

Bogley BigShot
    These are the type obstacles that teenage boys blow right over and then say they don't know what the big deal is..... while middle aged beginners curse the route description for understating the problems.
    Exactly! And why those same kids get hurt and have to have SAR drag their butts out of the canyons.

Anyone have any favorite day hikes that arent canyons or in the south??
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

How about not in Utah but close?

Up Vallecito Creek just north of Durango. A great backpacking area. I recommend going over Columbine Pass and into Chicago Basin. 3-4 days.