Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leave me alone!

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    What I do mind is being bombarded with the we are right and you are wrong message.
    One way to stop the insanity is to just get baptized. Then they'll stop begging you to do so.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

(here's a can of worms):

I'm sick of the "Anti-war" religious people trying to force their views on me. All I hear these days is that I'm wrong and they're right.

Actually, I'm just pointing out that generally, people who are not religious feel the need to voice their opinions on a million other issues, but those who are religious, especially Christian, are not allowed to do the same. Anyone ever seen the southpark where they all become atheists?

Honestly, if you don't want the LDS missionaries, Baptist missionaries, Al-qaida missionaries, Sattelite TV missionaries, or anyone else to talk to you, tell them no and shut the door. It's not that hard.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

In his defense though, sometimes shutting the door is not that easy. I had a companion that saw it his duty to get in the door no matter the cost. He did more damage than good because he wouldn't take no for an answer. Come to think of it, we never got in one door with his pushy save the world attitude. I think the animosity that Jamis speaks about comes from missionaries like these.

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey

He did a great job of pointing out the hypocrisy.....you all expect me to listen to your little young clean shaven minions, but if someone else comes to your door, well....you saw how he was treated....
    As a missionary when I went to people's houses, it was not to tear down their beliefs but share mine. This person is just trying to offend, I was sharing something that was dear to me.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

So what is the life expectancy rate of new religions now a days?

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    (here's a can of worms):
    Honestly, if you don't want the LDS missionaries, Baptist missionaries, Al-qaida missionaries, Sattelite TV missionaries, or anyone else to talk to you, tell them no and shut the door. It's not that hard.
    It is not as easy as just saying no and shutting the door. They keep coming and coming. What if you don't want people coming up to your door in the first place trying to convert you, tell you their beliefs, or to read you a verse? I really do not care who believes what, but stay off my doorstep preaching it. If you want to preach to someone, pass out a flyer, place an ad, create a forum, or just look in the mirror, and you can preach all day to someone who cares. Why not do something more useful with your time and help those in need of food and shelter?

The point the guy was trying to make, was to stay away from him with your beliefs, do not come to his door preaching them. I feel the same for door to door salesmen, telemarketers...etc, etc, coming to my door.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the LDS church sometime in the future eliminate tracting (going door to door) as a proselyting approach. Personally, I found it completely ineffective on my mission (in Connecticut) and can certainly understand the complaints against it.

I think there is a real acknowledgement (at least here in the states) that the most effective results are obtained by working with people who personally express an interest or are already acquainted with a church member. I must admit, I never felt entirely comfortable going door to door on my mission.

In some cases I think that tracting was used as a way to give missionaries something to do and keep them busy and out of trouble. That, in and of itself, indicates that it is a method that should go.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the LDS church sometime in the future eliminate tracting (going door to door) as a proselyting approach.
    So is God not all knowing?
    If he/she is why would this policy change?
    Just like just minorities not being able to hold the priesthood, polygamy, and Beards.
    God will change his mind ... again.

The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Thats right.. dont touch that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    So is God not all knowing?
    If he/she is why would this policy change?
    Just like just minorities not being able to hold the priesthood, polygamy, and Beards.
    God will change his mind ... again.

God is all knowing. God in his wisdom is able to adapt his teachings for his people. If you look at the Old Testament and the New Testament you can see the people have a very different relationship with God.

Implying that God can't change his tactics, policies, even doctrines implies that he is somehow dead. God lives and he is aware of what happens in the world. I guess for me having dress codes evolve through different time periods, changing policies, and doctrines does not contradict his existence, but I guess to you it does.

I think it goes back to what this whole post was about. People can think and believe what they want. I respect that and I just want to clarify that I was not a missionary for the LDS church because I didn't respect the believes of others. I just believed so fully in what I was preaching that it was worth everything to me to try and share the message.

I have good friends, in fact most of my best friends are not Mormon and our difference in religion does not stop us from being friends or even praying together (at times). I can't stress enough how much I don't mind people not being Mormon, it just bothers me that people try and tear others down for believing something they don't.

When it comes down to it, nothing you guys say is going to change the way I feel about God, or my religion and I'm sure nothing I say will change the way you believe either. I am not on this site to argue about religion but to connect with other people who have an affinity for the outdoors of Utah. I only commented on anything to point out that I feel it is important to respect the believes of others.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

DiscGolfDivers, well said!!!!!

So next week the LDS Church announces they will no longer allow minorities to hold the preisthood, you must practice polygamy and grow a beard.
    Where would you stand?

Who said god is dead? Does he die if you are not LDS?

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    (here's a can of worms):
    It is not as easy as just saying no and shutting the door. They keep coming and coming. What if you don't want people coming up to your door in the first place trying to convert you, tell you their beliefs, or to read you a verse? I really do not care who believes what, but stay off my doorstep preaching it. If you want to preach to someone, pass out a flyer, place an ad, create a forum, or just look in the mirror, and you can preach all day to someone who cares. Why not do something more useful with your time and help those in need of food and shelter?

The point the guy was trying to make, was to stay away from him with your beliefs, do not come to his door preaching them. I feel the same for door to door salesmen, telemarketers...etc, etc, coming to my door.
    First, If you're really so weak that you can't just say no, and politely shut the door, maybe we need to send Hans and Frans over to teach you how to not be such a girly-man. I don't like getting junk mail either, but I don't sit down and have a cry when it shows up in the mail, nor do I have to bring it in my house. It effectively finds a quick home in the garbage can.

Second, You'll have a hard time finding an organization that donates so much, so effectively to those who need food and shelter as the LDS church. But . . . I don't need to defend my beliefs to you. It is my belief that God will do that for me.

Third, John Safran is a comedian. I don't know how to stress this more. He tried to join the mormon church, and they wouldn't let him because it was just for his show. I would be very surprised if he's ever had a missionary knock on his door. I'd be more surprised if he was really bugged if it did happen.

Fourth, This thread seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Here's the link to the extreme mormons video made by the same guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVWieQ0_RGw

Let's get along.

Price
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

First, If you're really so weak that you can't just say no, and politely shut the door, maybe we need to send Hans and Frans over to teach you how to not be such a girly-man. I don't like getting junk mail either, but I don't sit down and have a cry when it shows up in the mail, nor do I have to bring it in my house. It effectively finds a quick home in the garbage can.

Second, You'll have a hard time finding an organization that donates so much, so effectively to those who need food and shelter as the LDS church. But . . . I don't need to defend my beliefs to you. It is my belief that God will do that for me.

Third, John Safran is a comedian. I don't know how to stress this more. He tried to join the mormon church, and they wouldn't let him because it was just for his show. I would be very surprised if he's ever had a missionary knock on his door. I'd be more surprised if he was really bugged if it did happen.

Fourth, This thread seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Here's the link to the extreme mormons video made by the same guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVWieQ0_RGw

Let's get along.

Price
    You miss my point entirely. Not to mention, I believe that comparing people actually coming to your house, and interrupting your dinner, life, tv, sex, picking your nose, to sell you something, or preach to you is completely different than getting one too many pieces of junk mail (another thing that I hate, and could bitch about as well). It also depends on the frequency of the solicitors visits. We used to get hammered by JW's when I was young. Even we when asked them to skip our house, another two young guys would come along and do the same thing. Sure, there are plenty of things to bitch about in life, and this is not gonna kill anyone, but the thread was talking about it, so I added my two cents.

I never was saying that the LDS does not do good things. Of course I am sure they do. I was making the point for those going door to door to do it some other way (passing out flyers, putting up bulletins, internet, whatever), or to spend their time some other way.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

you must practice polygamy and grow a beard.
    Sounds good to me.

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    you must practice polygamy and grow a beard.
    Sounds good to me.
    Man, I can hardly handle one wife. The idea of two is nice but I am willing to bet they would gang on on me (in a bad way).

Ummm, I don't see the correlation between LDS leaders discouraging tracting as a method of proselyting and God changing his mind. Elaborate on that one. And if you want to discredit the church for its polygamy over 100 years ago, then you are going to have to discredit Christianity altogether. many instances in the Bible of prophets having multiple wives and concubines. Solomon blew Brigham out of the water with his 1000+.

God told Moses to lead the Israelites to the land of Canaan, then when they got near, he made them stay in the wilderness for 40 years. Was it God who changed his mind, or was it the Israelites who weren't ready?