Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Arch (near The Wave in Paria Canyon/Vermillion Cliffs)

Bogley BigShot

Cobra Arch (near The Wave in Paria Canyon/Vermillion Cliffs)

This is the hike I did today. It's called Cobra Arch and unlike most arches, the name really fits this one! The arch is about 60' long and with a little climbing you can walk on it. The whole trip was only a 6 mile round trip so we headed over to Cottonwood Narrows in the GSENM next for a little more exercise.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Niiiiiice!

Though I didn't come anywhere near Utah, my friend Michael and I met up at an old haunt, the Wichita Mountains of southwest Oklahoma, for some hiking today. We saw a few spots we'd never seen before, including some narrows and some waterfalls. Galleries will follow, though not before galleries from my last two Utah trips.

-Richard

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Niiiiiice!

Though I didn't come anywhere near Utah, my friend Michael and I met up at an old haunt, the Wichita Mountains of southwest Oklahoma, for some hiking today. We saw a few spots we'd never seen before, including some narrows and some waterfalls. Galleries will follow, though not before galleries from my last two Utah trips.

-Richard

Thanks! You have great work on your site. Very original!

Very nice, Tanya. We're heading out that way on Friday. Staying at Wahweap Fri & Sat nite. Thinking of doing some of Buckskin on Friday.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Very nice, Tanya. We're heading out that way on Friday. Staying at Wahweap Fri & Sat nite. Thinking of doing some of Buckskin on Friday.

Win
    I wanted to do Buckskin but I heard its full of really deep cold pools right now! You might want to check into it. We are going to do it in the spring now instead. We should have Cobra Arch wrote up soon. Don't hike down in the sand like most trail guides (the very few that have this) have wrote up. Don't head down the Middle Buckskin Trail at all or go under the fence. Head left of the trail box and just walk the rim. Get off the rim near all the rock, just around the corner from the arch. We should have a map and GPS info up before you go. I have no idea how the BLM sends hikers into this one. We were by 3 GSENM VC yesterday, but all were closed when we were near them.

Have you seen the Wahweap Hoodoos yet? Since you are headed in that direction....

Yeah.. we have some of 'those' kinds of rocks out here too.

Nice.... I need to get back down your way and do some more exploring around Paria.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Nice.... I need to get back down your way and do some more exploring around Paria.

You do

Thanks for the advise! I really tore my heels up hiking in sand yesterday and don't need anymore of that.

That's a great picture of the hoodoos, I do want to go out there but I'll check with BLM to see if the roads OK. That's where you go in off Cottowood Rd, right?

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks for the advise! I really tore my heels up hiking in sand yesterday and don't need anymore of that.

That's a great picture of the hoodoos, I do want to go out there but I'll check with BLM to see if the roads OK. That's where you go in off Cottowood Rd, right?

Win

What hike did you do? Have you thought of a name for your arch yet? I have not got out to find it yet.

There is a road too the hoodoos but the BLM really does not like people to use it. The hike is gorgeous, so why drive?! The only road you need to drive is in Big Water. Crossing the creek gets you a bit closer but there is no need to do it if the water is high or you are in a 2wd.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/wahweap-hoodoos.htm

We decided to go over to the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve and hike to the Elephant Arch from the Mill Creek entrance. You go in here from Main St in Washington and there is a gate to enter the reserve, to which I have the combination for the lock. Well. first problem the locks are now keyed and the only way around was too rough for my Pilot.

This now meant about a 1 mile walk to the trailhead. From there it's about 1/2 mile to the Bone Wash which you hike up to the end. Ankle deep sand and I was wearing my La Sportiv ERs, which suck in sand!
    From the end of the wash we climbed a failrly steep sand hill only to find we need to go down and then up another. My wife said "Enough!"
    I concurred and we hiked out without reaching the arch.

We'll go back in Winter and take the Jeep to the trailhead and then take a road along a powerline which drops you into the wash cutting off about 1/2 mile of freakin' sand! Pretty neat back there with lots to explore. Found a pretty narrow slot and a few washes to hike up.

Win

Our Own Slice

Here's an image of my friend Michael ( http://zig81.com/ ) from yesterday in the Wichitas. It's not Utah, I know, but I can drive there in two hours instead of 16. We had a lot of fun.

Bogley BigShot
    We'll go back in Winter and take the Jeep to the trailhead and then take a road along a powerline which drops you into the wash cutting off about 1/2 mile of freakin' sand! Pretty neat back there with lots to explore. Found a pretty narrow slot and a few washes to hike up.

Win

Did you take any photos of the slot?

Bogley BigShot

Re: Our Own Slice

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Here's an image of my friend Michael ( http://zig81.com/ ) from yesterday in the Wichitas. It's not Utah, I know, but I can drive there in two hours instead of 16. We had a lot of fun.

You live a long ways away! Bummer! Having fun is the most important part of the trip.

Bogley BigShot
    Has anyone ever explored "Steamboat Rock" .... out there near The Wave. From a distance it looks interesting.

Didn't try the slot, it was very narrow and I was still chasing the arch.
    I lugged my heavy DSLR and only took a few pictures.

Win

Bone Wash:

Interesting formation:

Bogley BigShot
    I was just looking at your photos. I LOVE the Checkerboard Mesa shot covered in snow! Awesome shot!

I see that the east side of the park is your favorite too.

Very nice pictures of Cobra. I was looking at that arch just a day or two ago and thinking it would make a nice day-hike. Thanks for field-testing the hike.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Very nice pictures of Cobra. I was looking at that arch just a day or two ago and thinking it would make a nice day-hike. Thanks for field-testing the hike.

I just finished the photo album for it. The trail report will be done soon.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index29.htm

It's amazing how much this stuff looks like southwest wyoming! No wonder I like to hike here...looks like your neck of the woods.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    It's amazing how much this stuff looks like southwest wyoming! No wonder I like to hike here...looks like your neck of the woods.

There is cool arches, beautiful sandstone and great hiking out there? Then why do you keep comming here.