Thread: New from St George

New from St George

Not new to Utah, but new to the site. I've been looking for a LOCAL outdoors-enthusiast site for quite awhile to give me ideas on new places to go. I stumbled onto this site (woohoo!) while checking out www.zionnational-park.com which is a GREAT site by the way...

My screen name? My two best buds are Camo and Brody (two rabbits) who unfortunately don't get to share my outdoor adventures with me. Couldn't get it to load here, so their pic is in the Album, General Pics.

Favorite place in the world is a place called Woodcutters Meadow in the high Beaver Mountains (Tushar Mountains I've also heard them called). I love the solitude and unspoiled old high altitude forests, as well as the awesome lightning storms there in the summer. Don't worry, you won't ruin it for me just because I told you about it, the 'new' Elk Meadows will do that for me soon... Another of my favorite places is Browse, in the Pine Valley Mountains, another out-of-the-way camping/hiking spot.

Outdoor hobbies are mountain backpacking, hiking, biking, trail running, camping, basically anything thats anywhere not filled with other people, therefore I choose my hangout spots very carefully. I prefer exploring alone, with the exception of dragging my younger brothers away from the X-box once and awhile to accompany me. This summer we hiked Pine Valley Mountain from Whipple Trailhead, through Nay Canyon, Whipple Valley, to Browns Point, and then down through Oak Grove. I also hiked Gardeners Peak in Pine Valley a couple of months ago (alone, much to the dismay of my mother) and had a not-so-fun encounter with a grumpy rattlesnake while I was up there. Luckily, I had two jackets which I tied around my ankles and ran back down the mountain hitting bushes with a large branch along the way. Nope sorry, don't have a picture of that one...

Good to meet you all!
    Misty (&Brody&Camo)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot

Re: Native St Georgian but new to the site!

Quote Originally Posted by M&TheBunnies
    Not new to Utah, but new to the site. Born and raised in good ol' St George and been in love with the outdoors ever since I was a kid growing up on the edge of town with the open desert behind me. Now that I'm all grownup and work indoors in a place without windows and much too closely to other people and their problems, I feel a strong need to get the heck away from the city every chance I get. I've been looking for a LOCAL outdoors-enthusiast site for quite awhile to give me ideas on new places to go. I stumbled onto this site (woohoo!) while checking out www.zionnational-park.com which is a GREAT site by the way...

My screen name? My two best buds are Camo and Brody (two rabbits) who unfortunately don't get to share my outdoor adventures with me.

Favorite place in the world is a place called Woodcutters Meadow in the high Beaver Mountains (Tushar Mountains I've also heard them called). I could live there alone as a hermit and be perfectly happy! I love the solitude and unspoiled old high altitude forests, as well as the awesome lightning storms there in the summer. Don't worry, you won't ruin it for me just because I told you about it, the 'new' Elk Meadows will do that for me soon... Another of my favorite places is Browse, in the Pine Valley Mountains, another out-of-the-way camping/hiking spot.

Outdoor hobbies are mountain backpacking, hiking, biking, trail running, camping, basically anything thats anywhere not filled with other people, therefore I choose my hangout spots very carefully. I prefer exploring alone, with the exception of dragging my younger brothers away from the X-box once and awhile to accompany me. This summer we (my and my slightly willing brothers) hiked Pine Valley Mountain from Whipple Trailhead, through Nay Canyon, Whipple Valley, to Browns Point, and then down through Oak Grove. I also hiked Gardeners Peak in Pine Valley a couple of months ago (alone, much to the dismay of my mother) and had a not-so-fun encounter with a grumpy rattlesnake while I was up there. Luckily, I had two jackets which I tied around my ankles and ran back down the mountain hitting bushes with a large branch along the way. Nope sorry, don't have a picture of that one... :)

I've never gotten into rock climbing and canyons but thats something I hope to do eventually. It's kind of something you have to be introduced to by someone who knows how and I've not had that chance as of yet. Maybe I'll just have to take the initiative to buy a book, read about it, and try it myself. Yikes!

Good to meet you all!
    Misty (&Brody&Camo)

Hello Misty and Gang! So glad to have you join us here! Its a fun gang that I think you should enjoy. There are lots of personalities and something for everyone!

hi misty,

welcome to the site.

Welcome to uutah.com and happy to have you aboard.

Re: Native St Georgian but new to the site!

I stumbled onto this site (woohoo!) while checking out www.zionnational-park.com which is a GREAT site by the way...
    That IS a great site.

Welcome to the forum. We may be down in your neck of the woods soon to do some biking.

Hi Misty!

You should get into Canyoneering. Slot canyons are pretty far from the crowds....except for a few in Zion (Pine Creek, Narrows, Keyhole).

Welcome to the site!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Welcome to the site! I'm in your same boat. I have lived in Utah for a long time, found this site about two weeks ago and I have already found it very helpful. I hope you do too.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Hi Misty!

You should get into Canyoneering. Slot canyons are pretty far from the crowds....except for a few in Zion (Pine Creek, Narrows, Keyhole).

Welcome to the site!
    Hopefully this summer I'll have a chance to try it out. Sounds like a blast, especially the part about not running into anyone along the way :) I need to either take some classes or learn a LOT from this website and others before I go falling down canyons and getting myself hurt though.

Re: New from St George

My screen name? My two best buds are Camo and Brody (two rabbits)
    I love bunnies! I have never owned one, but I babysat my brother's for about six months. Her name was Zoe but I called her booster bunny.
    This summer we hiked Pine Valley Mountain from Whipple Trailhead, through Nay Canyon, Whipple Valley, to Browns Point, and then down through Oak Grove. I also hiked Gardeners Peak in Pine Valley a couple of months ago (alone, much to the dismay of my mother) and had a not-so-fun encounter with a grumpy rattlesnake while I was up there.
    Fun! But mom's right, you know. There's giant kitties up there--and it looks like you found the rattlesnakes--and they don't always play nice with people.

I was hoping to bike from Pine Valley east to Leeds if I can find a decent (and legal route) in the near future. If I see that rattlesnake, I'll give him a stern talking to for ya'.

Have I seen your login on the Geocaching.com website?? I thought Id run into some caches down there with your log in a cache or two.

Hello

Welcome to the site, that was a great intro on your part!! I would love to go biking down in your neck of the woods!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.