Thread: Lomatium Canyon

Lomatium Canyon

Over the weekend, a group of us tackled a few Moab routes; Lomatium canyon, Elephant Butte, Corona Arch, and Shane's little baby CAMEL TOE. The group consisted of myself, Shane, Steve Rupp, Rob Davison, Chris Snell, and Jason and Heidi Summers. After a slightly delayed start out of SLC we made a B-line to Groggs in Price for some dinner on friday evening. Chris unfortunately got a little car sick in the "lifestyle" vehicle coming into Price, so while we sip on pints, he was out parking lot looking for the cookies that he'd lost. After a few good laugh at his expense, and some food, we were on our way to Moab.

Off season is by far the best time to be in Moab. the crowds are light, weather cool, and condos are dirt cheap. We landed a huge 3 bedroom right in town that served as our cozy base. The evening was capped of by sipping on a few cocktails and watching the Baptist Draw episode of "i shouldn't be alive" on the Discovery channel. What a perfect way to start a canyoneering weekend. lol

Morning came early, and in typical fashion, Shane took 3 minutes to get ready and waited impatiently as the rest of the group floundered about getting our shit together. we slugged down some Joe and a danish and we were off to the Arches Visitor center. Lomatium was on the roster first, so a crypto video was watched and a Fiery Furnace permit was obtained. next stop, "the kissing turtles"....

Lomatium served as a nice departure from the typical "Fiery Furnace wandering". The route had been cracked by some cleaver sleuthing from Jason and Heidi. Note to self, send the women to retrieve canyon beta from tight lipped guide services, you'd be amazed how easily they are given information. it also helps if they flirt a little, and helps even more if they are cute... nicely done Heidi!!!!
    Some scrambling, some down climbing and a couple raps later and yet another canyon it checked off the list.

Elephant Butte here we come.
    Attached Images Attached Images               

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WWhere's the part where you rescued Shane? Did I see Snatch in Camel Toe? How fitting.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    Where's the part where you rescued Shane?
    Snatch saved my ass.... I took a major tumble when a hand hold blew out and he did a good job of spotting me. That hand hold blow out ruined my confidence for the next 24 hours. I climbed like an old man after that for a while. By the end of the second day I was starting to climb better again.

Confidence is a funny and fleeting thing.....

And I'm pretty sure that Heidi could sell ice cubes to Eskimo's The poor guide who got worked didn't stand a chance.

Did I see Snatch in Camel Toe? How fitting.
    Yeah.... here are some of my pics from "The Toe".

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3997

WWhere's the part where you rescued Shane?

i was trying to spare Shane the shame...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    i was trying to spare Shane the shame...
    What happens on the trail stays on the trail

Shane , I could tell you were diggin' my hat but were too proud to admit it. I found it on sale here if you are interested.

http://www.tuffrhino.com/ProductDeta...urce=sitematch

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
    Shane , I could tell you were diggin' my hat but were too proud to admit it. I found it on sale here if you are interested.

I would wear a hat like that..... except I have a penis.

So, that first rappel is close to 170 feet?! Are you guys sure you were in the correct drainage?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

we did not do a 170ft rappel. I was along for the ride and didn't have the beta but i'd say that drop was 80-120ft range.

I believe you are talking about the blimp hanger exit which we did not do.

Rob

It all looks like fun. But I need canyon pronunciation beta.

Is Lomatium...

1. Loe-may-shee-um
    2. Loe-may-shum
    3. Loe-may-tee-um
    4. Raymond Luxury Yacht

???????

-Richard

we did not do a 170ft rappel. I was along for the ride and didn't have the beta but i'd say that drop was 80-120ft range.
    I have 170' in my notes. (which is stated long to be safe since I didn't measure this rappel).

The rappel is a lot bigger then 100' feet, the orginal beta I was given listed the rappel at 100' and that was way short.

Anyhoo.... there is some bad beta floating around on this rappel, so becareful........ if you pack for 170' you will be dialed.

Also..... you will need a bunch of webbing to rig this rappel.... 60' to 80' maybe..... We set up a retrievable anchor which required two pull cords in addition to our rappel line because we didn't want to leave that much webbing around the arch.

And if you do the route please post your thoughts on the rap length

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Also..... you will need a bunch of webbing to rig this rappel.... 60' to 80' maybe..... We set up a retrievable anchor which required two pull cords in addition to our rappel line because we didn't want to leave that much webbing around the arch.

And if you do the route please post your thoughts on the rap length

Are we talking about the very first rappel, or the very last rappel (blimp hanger exit)? The info I received states: "The first rappel is about 170' (not 100') and requires about 80' of webbing to sling the arch."

well our first rap we rapped off the arch so that must be it. i guess the free hanging part is about 120ft and the slopped approach to the actual edge is 50ft, that would make sense thinking about it like that. it just didnt feel that high to me. then again i never looked down.. hehe

we used every dang bit of rope and webbing to rap from , build anchors and use as retreval lines.

so 170 ft of rope, 80ft of webbing plus another 170ft of pull cord and then another 170 ft to pull the webbing off the arch to do shanes method. surely there is extra built in those numbers but how much i dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron

1. Loe-may-shee-um
    2. Loe-may-shum
    3. Loe-may-tee-um
    4. Raymond Luxury Yacht
    The number 2 pronunciation is how it's called around these parts.

so 170 ft of rope, 80ft of webbing plus another 170ft of pull cord and then another 170 ft to pull the webbing off the arch to do shanes method. surely there is extra built in those numbers but how much i dont know.
    Roger that...thanks!

Yup!

2 raps
    #1 is about 170'
    #2 is about 30'

The Blimp Hanger is something else completely different and is approximately 150'. (a 200' rope is more then enough)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron

Is Lomatium...

1. Loe-may-shee-um
    2. Loe-may-shum
    3. Loe-may-tee-um
    4. Raymond Luxury Yacht
    No, no - it's spelled "Luxury Yacht", but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove".</hijack>

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    No, no - it's spelled "Luxury Yacht", but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove".</hijack>

Since I've posted this everwhere else lately I probably should post it here also.....

I have had discussions with those in power and this is the deal.....

If beta on canyoneering routes inside the Fiery Furnace are sprayed to the general public and become a nuisance the Fiery Furnace will be closed to all but ranger guided tours.

If the canyoneering community wants to keep the access it currently enjoys than the Fiery Furnace needs to remain a "go with a friend and let him show you route". Anyone who has followed the different canyoneering forums over the years will have noticed everyone has a couple of opportunities each year to join a group and complete the route.

Also, I have found the rangers at Arches have warmed substantially to the sport of canyoneering over the past year. This is our chance as a community to show we can be a responsible group. I would hate to see Arches adopt a dim-witted and unwieldy permit system similar to the one in Zion. Play nice and we should be able to avoid such a permit system.

I would hate to see Arches adopt a dim-witted and unwieldy permit system similar to the one in Zion. Play nice and we should be able to avoid such a permit system.
    For those who may not know, Fiery Furnace is already on a permit system, but of course, it isn't as intrusive. Too bad Zion can't have one somewhat similar.