Thread: Im New to Snowshoeing

Im New to Snowshoeing

Ok,
    I am planning on going out and snowshoeing very soon. I have been looking at some of the equipment that I need and just was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what snowshoes they would recomend. I weigh around 200lbs and have been looking at the MSR with the expandable tails. I looked at some of the previous topics but I guess I would like to get this rolling again with the gear I should buy? I have been looking alot at REI for my gear.

Thanks

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i'm a big fan of the Atlas snowshoe.

i have a pair of the 10 series i've been very pleased with.
    i'm sure you'll get lots of opinions (like w/ most gear)
    so i suggest you rent a few different brands before you buy.

i did that very thing, and that being said, i ended up w/ atlas for both my wife and i.
    we've used them a bunch and it's been smiles all around.

good luck!

edit: if your interested, Backcountry.com has a super cheap pair here

I would say go and try some on. They're all a little different and things like comfort, ease to get on/off, and other features that you will like. I have Tubbs, I really like them. My husband really likes his MSRs. The MSRs bug me because of all the little floppy things floppin' around. It's those kind of little things that may make a difference for you.

Maybe rent some different brands from different stores and see how they work for you.

Good luck! Snowshoeing is awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Treehugger's spot on, snowshoeing IS awesome! have a blast this winter..

I'll second Marc's recommendation for the Atlas 10 series. I have them and love them. They are super easy to get in and out of and work well in off-camber situations as well.

Let it snow! We got a set of hiking poles at REI last year with removable "baskets" for the snow, and now I much prefer hiking with poles to without.

I also recommend the Atlas 10 series, I have a pair and they've been very good to me. Snowshoeing Rocks! I try and go at least once a week with my dog and its always fun.
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into

Alright, the wife and I picked up a pair of Atlas snowshoes and am amped to get out and go snowshoeing. I went big and got everything for me and the wife to get out and go snowshoeing, gotta love the REI sales.

I guess I am a bit late in posting, but I have owned both Atlas (825) and MSR (Denali Evo Ascent) snowshoes. I much prefer the MSR snowshoes for a number of reasons. First of all I had serious reliability problems w/ my Atlas snowshoes. They worked well enough, but they just didn't hold up to the abuse I gave them. Atlas was great to repair them, but after two failures I decided to switch brands. I also feel like the MSR snowshoes are more easily repaired in the field than the Atlas snowshoes. MSR also doesn't use the spring loaded bindings which is nice if you don't like flipping snow all over yourself with every step although stepping over things like logs is slightly more difficult. I do tend to like the Atlas bindings better as they are often easier to use, but I haven't been too bothered by the MSR bindings. The one reason I really like my MSR snowshoes more is because the crampons are much beefier and really improve traction on a difficult snow surface. Also, if you pay to get the heel risers that can be a nice little extra with the MSR snowshoes. Anyway, that is my two cents...

I don't know where you live, but Recreational Outlet (Salt Lake, & American Fork) have snowshoes for half the price of REI.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Snowshoeing is amazing, I prefer it over most winter sports.

I owned Tubbs in the past, rented Atlas and MSR last season and ended up purchasing northern lites.

The weight difference is amazing, very high quality and should last some time.

http://www.northernlites.com/

I have the 30" rescues, my GF has the 25" elites.

Spend the extra money on a good pair of gaitors and wool socks. Makes all the diference in the world. :D

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    I don't know where you live, but Recreational Outlet (Salt Lake, & American Fork) have snowshoes for half the price of REI.

Decided to stop by the store today, Snowshoes are atually 50.00 cheaper at REI for the MSR Denali evo ascent. Also they only allow a 7 day return policy and have a terrible selection. Pretty cool store some great deals on Wool socks, gloves, all types of coats and jackets and they have some great deals on gators, I picked up a pair for 15.00

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride

Decided to stop by the store today, Snowshoes are actually 50.00 cheaper at REI for the MSR Denali evo ascent. Also they only allow a 7 day return policy and have a terrible selection. Pretty cool store some great deals on Wool socks, gloves, all types of coats and jackets and they have some great deals on gators, I picked up a pair for 15.00
    When I bought my snowshoes at Recreational Outlet I also bought poles. I came home and found the poles for 5 dollars cheaper online, and went back to return my poles and they beat the entire price by 15%. They gave me 30 bucks back (there were two pairs of poles) and I just spent the money there in the store because I appreciated that so much.

Anyway, I love that store!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I also bought my snowshoes at Recreation Outlet, the AF store. The first pair I bought was the longer ones so I could get off the trail if I wanted. They have worked so well (can't remember the brand name, they're just the house brand) that I bought a second pair that's shorter for faster hiking on packed trails. For the price (more than half the MSR's) I wasn't sure how they'd hold up but I have had no problems in the two years I've had them. No repairs yet and the bindings have worked very well. Last winter I went once or twice per week.
    Are we there yet?

I second the Northern Lites suggestion. (especially since I am the GF ;)) They are wonderful! I just got into snowshoeing last year and I'm in love with it! In fact, we just went out tonight and a couple of fun runs through the powder. :)