Thread: Pine Creek, the day after.

Pine Creek, the day after.

A couple of months ago me, and four others traveled to Zion to do Imlay. Unfortunately, we got flooded out and ruled out by the back country desk who would not issue a permit to us due to the "8 hour rule". So we picked up a Pine Creek permit and did it the day after the big flood. We did watch Pine creek flash from normal to crazy at the swimming hole. That was a little spooky. The canyon was still flowing pretty well when we went in so I thought I would post a few pics that my brother Kevin took with a little disposable camera. Hope you enjoy them. I must say that Pine Creek is best done when flowing. What a blast..... But it wasn't no Imlay (stupid permit system )
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

wow! excellent photos, that must have been awesome.

wow scott ... well done!!

that looks like some SERIOUS fun!

this guy looks like he's swimming in a tall pint of beer

Amazing pictures!

One very noob question about gear: do most people own their own complete sets of gear (suits, climbing gear, etc.)?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Bogley BigShot
    Great Stuff!!! And on the good side you got to hit the eats and drinks far sooner than if you had done Imlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Amazing pictures!

One very noob question about gear: do most people own their own complete sets of gear (suits, climbing gear, etc.)?
    almost all canyoneers own at the very least a harness and rappel device. if they do canyons with cold water, they also likely have wetsuits. but most people who are serious about canyoneering definitely own all of their gear, ropes, webbing & hardwear.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    wow scott ... well done!!

that looks like some SERIOUS fun!

this guy looks like he's swimming in a tall pint of beer
    It was some serious fun. We set up the last rap directly in the water course rather than the free mode off to the south. We also dangled the rope about 10 feet short in the Cathedral so as to rap off the end and splash down in that most beautiful spot. It was very fun. I can see why many canyoneers only do flowing canyons.

And poor Larry just about disappeared a couple of times in the froth. It was pretty funny watching him swim through the foamy mess. Funny thing was that by the time I went through, there was a clear channel.

As for the noob question. Yes, all the gear was ours. I have issues with renting things that my life depends upon or that Ice's nakid skin may have been in contact with for hours on end (wetsuit) so I just save my shekels and buy the stuff. I guess I am a serious canyoneer but only when I am walking some exposed fin into Heaps. Otherwise, I'm just in it for the fun.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Great Stuff!!! And on the good side you got to hit the eats and drinks far sooner than if you had done Imlay.
    You know, if I would have had a brain in my head that day, I would have headed East before going north and had my eats at the Thunderbird..... Opps... sorry. Habit to go west and up I-15. I believe that three of those pictured (and three others and their wives) that I got started in this crazy sport ate at your place in July after doing Rock Canyon. There would have been either 6 or 7 couples. My wife and I couldn't go with them that time (even though I am the founding father - they went with out me) but they all said they had a great meal there. I still have to go your way and check out the place and have a meal. How many holes on the golf course? It is a dream of mine to canyoneer and golf on the same trip. However there are not too many golfers/canyoneers out there. Of course what I do with a club and a little white ball can hardly be called golf. A good day of golf for me is to come home with the same number of golf balls. A great day is to find more than I lost.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I have issues with renting things that my life depends upon or that Ice's nakid skin may have been in contact with for hours on end (wetsuit)
    Hey.... sometimes older, fat, bald men pay good money if I let then rub up against me

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I have issues with renting things that my life depends upon or that Ice's nakid skin may have been in contact with for hours on end (wetsuit)
    Hey.... sometimes older, fat, bald men pay good money if I let then rub up against me
    Good thing I am not older fat or bald. Where's the gaydar detector when you need it
    Life is Good

Bogley BigShot
    You know, if I would have had a brain in my head that day, I would have headed East before going north and had my eats at the Thunderbird..... Opps... sorry. Habit to go west and up I-15. I believe that three of those pictured (and three others and their wives) that I got started in this crazy sport ate at your place in July after doing Rock Canyon. There would have been either 6 or 7 couples. My wife and I couldn't go with them that time (even though I am the founding father - they went with out me) but they all said they had a great meal there. I still have to go your way and check out the place and have a meal. How many holes on the golf course? It is a dream of mine to canyoneer and golf on the same trip. However there are not too many golfers/canyoneers out there. Of course what I do with a club and a little white ball can hardly be called golf. A good day of golf for me is to come home with the same number of golf balls. A great day is to find more than I lost.
    We have food sort of like the Zion Lodge My brother runs the restaurant and so far he wont change it too much. -- some though! We need some good chefs if anyone wants a job. Its mad house busy most days. We have so many tour busess eating there each day too its hard to change much --- but I would if I ran it. I run the hotel and the chevron. The golf course is really fun -- unique -- it has 9 holes. My brother runs that, but has been letting my son Jason get much more involved in doing the golf course. Jason is a golf addict!