Thread: What camcorder to buy?

What camcorder to buy?

Anything durable, small, water / dust resistant and easy on the wallet out there?

Looking to spend under around $500 or so.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: What camcorder to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    Anything durable, small, water / dust resistant and easy on the wallet out there?

Looking to spend under around $500 or so.
    check with shaggy125 (eric godfrey). perhaps pm him. he uses one for canyoneering in water and dust.

What kind of filming? If a helmetcam is a possible option, that changes a lot of things. Actually, even if you DON'T get a helmet cam, let me tell you what to look for.

A/V in (Audio/Video): Every camcorder has A/V out, or something equivalent. But when you have a model with A/V in, you can record from a separate device (helmetcam, VCR, DVR, TV). In turn, you can take your recorded media and put it on the computer for editing. A/V in turns your camcorder into a tape recorder.

Have some old home movies on VHS? Use the camcorder to turn them digital, and burn them to DVD. So, if the helmetcam isn't in your future, this feature alone is worth getting it.

This feature does NOT add to the price of the camera, it's only hard to find anymore. Sony is the majority of camcorders that have this feature, but not all Sony's have them. The occurrence of A/V in is quickly declining.

I bought a Sony HCR HC32 for $239. Unfortunately this model is not made anymore so I had to find it online at a refurb place, which still carries the Sony warranty.

Right now I'm debating getting something similar to what you have, or this: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Camc..._X210WLXAA.asp

Know anything about it?

What helmet cam do you use? The a good hookup at viosport with one of my forum members...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    Right now I'm debating getting something similar to what you have, or this: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Camc..._X210WLXAA.asp

Know anything about it?

What helmet cam do you use? The a good hookup at viosport with one of my forum members...
    Here's the catch:
    1GB of built-in memory lets you record up to 34 minutes of high quality MPEG4 video
    Now, granted, it's EXPANDABLE (I think up to 2 more GB). It's all in how much you want to film. The nice thing about a camcorder is you can pack all the tapes you want. If you're gone on a trip, you fill up one tape, and pop another one in.

With the Samsung, you have to wait until you can get to a PC and store your media before you can tape again (unless you get some more 2 GB cards). I've gotta give Samsung credit for having the only complete helmetcam unit though.

My helmetcam is from www.helmetcamera.com. It's the 480 line model.