Thread: Are there any hikes with suspension bridges in Utah?

Are there any hikes with suspension bridges in Utah?

My friend was telling me about a hike they did with a suspension bridge and that got me wondering if there are any here in Utah. Does anyone know of any?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There is an interesting suspension bridge across the San Juan River at Bluff. The bridge has been damaged recently by heavy rain but I believe there are plans to fix it in the near future. We have used the bridge in order to get to a place called 12-room ruin.

Yup. What Brewhaha said...

Also you might wanna try out Swazey's Leap in the San Rafael Swell near Mexican Mountain. I'll give ya a dollar if A) it's still there, and B) you cross over it.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

The Swasey's Leap Sheep Bridge is long gone. But there is still an old sheep bridge over Moonshine Wash. Its not a suspension but you would have to be crazy to cross it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Its not a suspension but you would have to be crazy to cross it.
    I have a friend who was out there two weeks ago, and he is crazy. He told me that he stood on the bridge and even bounced up and down lightly, and said it felt pretty sturdy. He didn't go all the way across because the guys he was with started freaking out and wouldn't have followed him anyway, so they all continued back to the trailhead the long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    He told me that he stood on the bridge and even bounced up and down lightly, and said it felt pretty sturdy.
    Heck of a way to find out its NOT sturdy.

That's awesome! I love that I have found a site to learn about other cool places from people who know. Anyway, that goat bridge isn't quite what I had in mind, but I still want to check it out.

Here's a picture of the San Juan Suspension Bridge.

The link to the picture is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bestrat...7594071374499/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

oh wow ... that's really interesting .... i gots to go check that out sometime, en route to the ruin.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Here's a picture of the San Juan Suspension Bridge.
    Is this the bridge that was wiped out, or this still available to hike?

that is swinging bridge outside bluff. any local could tell you how to get there and to 16 house. swinging bridge is the permanent project of the local scout troops as it gets well damaged every year by floods.
    signature

cool. I'll have to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha View Post
    There is an interesting suspension bridge across the San Juan River at Bluff. The bridge has been damaged recently by heavy rain but I believe there are plans to fix it in the near future. We have used the bridge in order to get to a place called 12-room ruin.
    I was there in '89 (yes, a while back) and in '14 and neither time was the bridge standing. :( The last time I saw it standing was back in the 70s. Are you guys pulling my leg, or has it really been standing at some point in recent years?

There is now an awesome suspension bridge over Bear Canyon in Draper. A round trip hike to the bridge takes about an hour.