Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a gun (while I still can)

Buying a gun (while I still can)

I'm going to go buy a gun today. Any recommendations? I want to buy a decent handgun.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Glock 19 or Springfield XD. Also, I would take the 9mm over a .40 cause the ammo is much cheaper. IMHO

Reedus

There was a good discussion about this in the hunting forum

+1 on the G19. It is a fine pistol.

What do you mean "while you still can?"

If you are referring to the dems taking over, that won't affect you buying a pistol anytime in the near future. It may affect you wanting to buy long guns later, especially any AR-15 type weapons.
    Let's Roll

Re: Buying a gun (while I still can)

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    I'm going to go buy a gun today. Any recommendations? I want to buy a decent handgun.
    Impossible to answer that question unless you tell us what you intend to use the gun for?

If you are buying a gun to have as a toy I recommend a .22. They are a blast to shoot and ammo is cheap. My two favorite .22's pistols are the Ruger .22 Standard Target and the S&W Model 63.

The Ruger is extremely accurate at a good price. The 63 is small, light and stainless, which makes it great to carry in a backpack.

try to register as little info as you can. When they take away the guns, they'll first go after the registered users. Then, they'll just ask the criminals to give theirs up.

FLAWLESS.

If you don't want your firearm's registered buy them used from a private party.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    If you don't want your firearm's registered buy them used from a private party.
    In Utah, that's not as much of an issue since we don't really have to "register" our firearms here. Sure, there's a record of the sale when you buy new, but if the gubment comes knockin' on your door to take them away (however unlikely that is), you can just say that you sold them to a private party.

Oh, and to keep on topic, I love my Springfield XD-40 Sub-Compact for concealed-carry. However, I haven't fired much of anything else, so I don't have much of a basis for comparison. I'm sure that if I'd spent a few extra dollars on a Glock, I'd like it just as much. Though I've got to say that I do love the looks of the XD better--got mine with a stainless slide.

Folks, I moved here from NJ and believe me, you've got it good as far as firearms are concerned! In fact you've got it good in most everything!

I own a few guns and my favorite semi-autos are the Sigs. They cost a bit more but are extremely reliable. I'm down to just a .45 for home defense but I would get 40 in a heartbeat if I was going to carry.

If you want to have a lot of fun .22s rock. I'm also a fan of revolvers and a nice vintage Colt or S&W in 357/38 would be alot of fun.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

DickHead
    There isn't enough political will in DC yet to take our guns. There may be some new, watered down AWB, but most of the new house dems are from conservative states that won't stand for gun banning. The only thing more important than gaining power is staying in power. I expect to see very little changes in gun legislation. I'm more worried about my taxes going up.

PS:
    As far as buying a new gun, it all depends on what you want it for. Home and self defense? Carry? Backpacking and camping?
    Are you an experienced marksman or a rookie?
    I'm going to buck the trend here and recommend a Ruger SP101 in .357 with the 3 1/16" barrel.
    http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...in%20Stainless

I love my Glock 22, its a .40

It has more stopping power than a 9mm

I also looked into the .357 sig anyone have any insight on this caliber?

Its basically a 9mm round with a .40 casing.... high velocity and the like...
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830

I've shot the Sig 229 in 357 Sig and it was nice but a bit to "snappy" for me. The ballistics aren't that much different than the .40. In Sigs you can get interchangable barrels for 40/357 Sig.

You're right on about the .40 vs 9 MM, no contest.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Scary as Nancy Pelosi is, I don't think dems will push for anything too extreme as they wouldn't want to screw up their shot at the presidency in 2008.

buying a gun

I carry the GLOCK 27 .40. It is small, light and very reliable. I take it with me everywhere.
    fourwheelerfanatic

16. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830

Ya, but what are you trying to stop? It does have more stopping power if you want to stop a charging grizzly, but for protection against thugs, the 9mm will put a quick stop to anyone. and the ammo is cheaper, otherwsie I would be inclined to take the ,40 over the 9mm

18. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Scary as Nancy Pelosi is,
    Heck nothing scares me, that's what guns are for. LOL Isn't gun control being able to hit what you're aiming at?
    Who ever said what do you want to do with the weapon is right, figure that out first. 22 ammo is cheap cheap cheap. I like the 40, more stopping power that the 9mm almost as much as a 45. The 357 sig is great but ammo is way expensive. Determine what your needs are going to be, are you going to carry, then weight becomes an issue.
    Let us know what you decide.
    Power to the Peoples!!
    Peter[/quote]

I have actually been thinking about this lately also. What handgun would you recommend for personal safety AND for taking in the back country? I have never owned a handgun but my home is insured by Smith & Wesson and Bear River Insurance Company. I'd like another "insurance policy" if you know what I mean.
    Life is Good

Scott, Utah has a great concealed carry course that you should be able to access from their gov web site. There are so many choices, many people just love the Glock line, they're simple, light and reasonably priced. There are high end Kimbers and S&W makes a great light weight 45. I have Berettas in 9mm, 40 and 45. I like the way the come apart to clean and shoot great. It's all a personal preference kind of thing. Try to shoot the weapon you're considering; that will help you decide. Also remember that what weapon you're looking at in a store will weight a lot more once you load the magazine with rounds.
    Peter

Maybe a better question is which gun should I avoid. Don't want it to jam at a critical point in time or do something funky.
    Life is Good

Go take the hand gun course at Front site and you'll know what you want in a gun. LOL