Thread: Heaps October 20-21, 2006

Heaps October 20-21, 2006

Sorry it is long but it was my first time in Heaps afterall.

The weather was finally cooperating. Steve, John and others had attempted to preview Heaps on a one day-er the week before only to get dumped on at the trail head. This week (October 20-21) was different the forecast was perfect. We left Utah Valley at about 7:30 a.m. Friday morning. After dropping off the shuttle car at Zion V.C., we flew up to the West Rim Trail Head. After gathering ourselves together, we heard a resounding
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That fin was much more frightening to me than was the last series of raps by a long shot.
    Funny how different people view dangers differently..... I hardly notice the exposed fin walk, but that last rappel scares the snot out of me.

Congrats on ticking heaps off you list

After a nice chat and some smooth talking, checking for warrants, I was sent on my way at 35 mph with only a warning.
    Oh yeah.... I think them rangers always give warnings after the tongue lashing..... cause I was easily going 70 mph when I passed the ranger. Only good part was he didn't get me on the gun.... but with all 4 wheels slidin' he knew I was haulin' ass

Bogley BigShot

Re: Heaps October 20-21, 2006 (photos to appear soon)

[quote=Scott Card]Sorry it is long but it was my first time in Heaps afterall.

The weather was finally cooperating. Steve, John and others had attempted to preview Heaps on a one day-er the week before only to get dumped on at the trail head. This week (October 20-21) was different the forecast was perfect. We left Utah Valley at about 7:30 a.m. Friday morning. After dropping off the shuttle car at Zion V.C., we flew up to the West Rim Trail Head. After gathering ourselves together, we heard a resounding

Re: Heaps October 20-21, 2006 (photos to appear soon)

wow scott, i read most of this late last night, but then decided to wake up to this again with a warm beverage
    great trip report!!

and tevas?!!? wow ... tevas+heaps= ... frosty wetsuits ... brrr

very much looking forward to the photos. fulfillment of another goal, nice! and no speeding ticket! that knot issue on such a huge rap sounds freaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Sorry it is long but it was my first time in Heaps afterall.
    ahh don't be sorry, i enjoy a good read
    I now see why the West Rim trail is a destination and not only a means to an end.
    sunset from perched up there is absolutely magnificent!!

One more little tidbit. While on the bus from the Lodge to the Visitor's Center, there were two guys on the bus that had just finished Mystery. They asked us where we had been with all the packs, wet suits and gear. We told them Heaps. I asked the one guy who was doing the talking if he had been there. He looked at me and stammered out "Once, but I only did part of it....... any way.... About this hike....."

WHAT???? Part of it??? Could he have been the one who did "West Behunin?" He quickly changed the subject and started to talk about gear and techniques. I didn't have the heart to raise the issue further and didn't want to embarrass him if he did mistakenly end up in Heaps rather than Behunin. I guess we will never know. And now the photos.... Quite a few scenery shots. The lighting was not the best but oh well, the memorys are there. Hope you enjoy them.
    Attached Images Attached Images                           
    Life is Good

Thanks for the photos Scott. Very nice.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Wow! I personally haven't ever done Heaps, but it is on my list for next year. Nice TR and photos.

P.S - I think if I was steve I would have worn a 5.10 on one foot and teva on the other. Probably would have looked hideous, but at least you would have traction with one foot no?

nice scott
    bet you still have that grin on your face ... heaps ... check
    very cool. the fall colors within the canyon look BEAUTIFUL. looks like you had a decent size group. musta been a lot of fun.

glad the spiderman didn't need real canyoning shoes ... sheesh
    i once forgot hiking boots on a hike. i drove a ways to what's considered the most diverse conifer forest in the world. i had planned for years to go to this place ... day after election night 2000 ... and i forgot my boots sure enough there was like 6 inches of snow in the upper elevations. yup tevas and sox in the snow. worked fine ... but it wasn't HEAPS

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    nice scott
    bet you still have that grin on your face ... heaps ... check
    very cool. the fall colors within the canyon look BEAUTIFUL. looks like you had a decent size group. musta been a lot of fun.

glad the spiderman didn't need real canyoning shoes ... sheesh
    i once forgot hiking boots on a hike. i drove a ways to what's considered the most diverse conifer forest in the world. i had planned for years to go to this place ... day after election night 2000 ... and i forgot my boots sure enough there was like 6 inches of snow in the upper elevations. yup tevas and sox in the snow. worked fine ... but it wasn't HEAPS
    Yes indeed... Still grinnin from ear to ear. What a sweet canyon. Steve was not going to be denied this canyon. I think he may have tried it barefoot before he would have turned around. Or he thought about turning around and catching us the next morning. I think he could have actually.

Yes we limited our permit and it was a little slower than I would have liked but I also wouldn't have wanted to leave anyone out. We had a blast. It worked out ok because those setting up the raps would go ahead and when the next major obstacle came up we would catch up as a group after winding or stuffing ropes.

Tevas, socks, snow.... no thanks. Tevas, socks, Heaps....double no thanks. My feet were sore enough with 5-10's on. Can't imagine having to deal with Heaps in Tevas.
    Life is Good

Yes indeed... Still grinnin from ear to ear. What a sweet canyon.
    excellent! so, i gotta ask, what was your favorite moment, perhaps when you almost couldn't contain yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by scott card
    Yes we limited our permit and it was a little slower than I would have liked but I also wouldn't have wanted to leave anyone out. We had a blast.
    and it lets ya enjoy many sections too, rather than feeling the impulsive need to move on. it's nice sharing that kind of experience with people too!

btw love this shot ...

Quote Originally Posted by stefan

Yes indeed... Still grinnin from ear to ear. What a sweet canyon.
    excellent! so, i gotta ask, what was your favorite moment, perhaps when you almost couldn't contain yourself?
    Three moments come to mind. The first was on the first day looking at the views to the west and south from the West Rim trail. WOW that was gorgeous. The second was lying in by bag looking at the night sky... I was warm and there is just something almost religious gazing at the night sky unimpeded by city lights. The third moment was landing on the perch prior to the free rappel when I realized that I was having a blast and that last sequence of raps was just plain cool.

As far as groups go, I just really enjoy going with other people. Hearing and watching their reaction to the canyon is just plain and simple a good time.
    Life is Good

Three moments come to mind. The first was on the first day looking at the views to the west and south from the West Rim trail. WOW that was gorgeous. The second was lying in by bag looking at the night sky... I was warm and there is just something almost religious gazing at the night sky unimpeded by city lights.
    i think i know what you mean ... especially after a long day's hike. unfortunately, if washington county keeps growing, that light pollution could become even more noticeable than it already is. [sorry for polluting a good moment here ...]

The third moment was landing on the perch prior to the free rappel when I realized that I was having a blast and that last sequence of raps was just plain cool.
    i kinda had a feeling you'd say this ... may that feeling and its memory sit with you for a long time.

As far as groups go, I just really enjoy going with other people. Hearing and watching their reaction to the canyon is just plain and simple a good time.
    yeah ... i bet you wish you could share the experience with your wife. as i am not yet married, this is something i ponder. does she do any tech canyons? or just not the hard ones?