Thread: Another "help me!" topic - 3-day hikes in So Utah

Another "help me!" topic - 3-day hikes in So Utah

Hey, one more quick question for a friend of mine.

Another Michigander is heading out this way on Thursday and is looking for a 2 or 3 day Backpack hike in Southern Utah. I just took a guess recommending either Bryce, Zion or Cap Reef where they'll get some warmish temps during the days (probably Zion the warmest?)

He's given me no criteria except for a good 2-3 day trip either as a loop or some sort of shuttle.

I know this is a broad question but what are the hikes that pop into your head? (or can you point me to any resources?)

Thanks a lot!
    Ian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Things that pop into my head are Buckskin Gulch, or Death Hollow. Coyote Gulch is popular but would be awesome this time of year (should hit the end of the changing leaves). Grand Gulch area would be perfect too. This time of year there are lots of options.

So if he wants a deep narrow slot, Buckskin is a good choice but requires a car shuttle.

If he wants a magnificent deep flowing canyon with lots of side trip options then Death Hollow via the Boulder Mail Trail is perfect, but will require at least wading and possibly swimming in the creek (more fun than your average S. Utah backpack trip). If he is an experienced hiker he can probably handle Death Hollow from the top, but I think that generally takes more then 2-3 days, especially if you really want to enjoy it.

If he wants another magnificent canyon with four arches, (yea, yea, some are bridges but who's keeping track) huge overhangs, small waterfalls, etc.. then Coyote Gulch is a perfect option.

If he wants to see Anasazi Ruins outside of a Museum setting then the Grand Gulch area has tons to see.

Google each area and you will find lots of info. Shane has most of these hikes on his site, and Kelsey's Colorado Plateau guide covers them all (I don't think Shane has a Death Hollow description).

Eric.

I would second all these hikes but I would go for Coyote Gulch, its the easist and driest. Even eaiser and dryer is Hackberry Canyon. It

Buckskin - Parunaweap - Grand Gulch

Bogley BigShot
    It depends.... Its getting cold so I assume the average backpacker wants to try and stay dry. I agree with Shane with Parunupweap, but I like to head to the water when its hot out rather than cold.

The best 3 day backpack I can think of (that I have done) this time of year is South Canyon! It rules!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/sou...and-canyon.htm

Shorter Backpacks that would be good this time of year would be Bull Valley Gorge to Sheep Creek to Willis Creek. I really love this hike, but it could be wet and cold in Bull Valley right now. The road needs to be dry as well to travel it.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/gsbpack.htm

Then there are the usual backpacks in Zion. East Rim and West Rim if he has not done the classics in Zion.

I assume canyons like Buckskin might have some big swimholes after all these storms?

Anyway, at this time of year, I would highly recommend the following:

Fish-Owl Creeks
    Grand Gulch
    Hackberry Canyon
    Horseshoe Canyon
    Robbers Roost Canyon
    Larry Canyon
    Twin Corral Box Canyon
    Sams Mesa Box Canyon
    Ticaboo Creek
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson

Anyway, at this time of year, I would highly recommend the following:

Hackberry Canyon

[color=white]If you go... look for the dino tracks!

Dinosaur Tracks