Thread: Zion in October

Zion in October

We've had a pretty good time around Zion this October and I thought I'd share a few pics and thoughts.

On Saturday, Oct 14, Zion was really wild with waterfalls from a torrential downpour. We went up to the East side and I tried to take some pictures. First I suck at running water and second the runoff stops as soon as the rain quits. This combo makes pictures tough.

Cockeyed Falls:

East side of the small tunnel, North side drainage:

I can't describe how spectacular the whole area was.

Win

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot

Re: Zion in October

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    We've had a pretty good time around Zion this October and I thought I'd share a few pics and thoughts.

On Saturday, Oct 14, Zion was really wild with waterfalls from a torrential downpour. We went up to the East side and I tried to take some pictures. First I suck at running water and second the runoff stops as soon as the rain quits. This combo makes pictures tough.

Cockeyed Falls:

I can't describe how spectacular the whole area was.

Win
    I LOVE Cockeyed Falls!!!! There is not better time in Zion than when the water is flowing! Nice photos. There is a hike that ends there. Have you seen it?

Parunuweap Pass --- It was a fun one to do when the other paths are muddy since most of this was on slickrock. We did get our feet wet in Clear Creek though.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-parunuweap.htm

The next weekend we decided to go to Observation Pt via the East Mesa Trail. I really enjoyed this hike even though it's probably not as spectacular as the trail from the canyon floor. The only people we saw were a group heading to Mystery Canyon, great solitude.

I was glad I had a Jeep, getting to the trailhead was still pretty muddy from the week before rain. There were alot of hunters out in Zion Ponderosa, but not near the trailhead. We didn't see any wildlife in 6 miles of hiking, somewhat disappointing.

Looking West along the trail:

Looking down on Angel's Landing:

Up Canyon, Big Bend and the Temple of Sinawawa:

Win

Bogley BigShot
    The next weekend we decided to go to Observation Pt via the East Mesa Trail. I really enjoyed this hike even though it's probably not as spectacular as the trail from the canyon floor. The only people we saw were a group heading to Mystery Canyon, great solitude.

I was glad I had a Jeep, getting to the trailhead was still pretty muddy from the week before rain. There were alot of hunters out in Zion Ponderosa, but not near the trailhead. We didn't see any wildlife in 6 miles of hiking, somewhat disappointing.

Looking West along the trail:

Win

Nice photos! That little short cut is a winner. Sometimes I feel like trudging up the trail from the canyon, but other times its fun to get out on the dirt roads and then just take the nice walk. This is a good time of year for that, if the roads are dry, because in the summer those little juniper gnats are annoying on the East Mesa Route.

You have been getting out!

The Sunday after we did the East Mesa Trail we took a ride up to the East side to do a short walk along the Clear Creek Drainage, trees were just awesome. Can't wait 'til the Cottonwoods really change in the main canyon.

Thanks for taking a look.

Win

Tanya, thanks for the kind words. I was looking at that hike, Cockeyed Falls, on your site. That is high on my list this Fall.

By the way, I've been using info from your site for at least a year. You and Bo have done a great service to all of us that enjoy Zion and the surrounding area. Thanks!

Win

Bogley BigShot
    Tanya, thanks for the kind words. I was looking at that hike, Cockeyed Falls, on your site. That is high on my list this Fall.

By the way, I've been using info from your site for at least a year. You and Bo have done a great service to all of us that enjoy Zion and the surrounding area. Thanks!

Win
    I have been noticing the fall colors in Clear Creek. Sometimes I just like to wander on the east side of the park. It fun to do those hidden hikes that few know about and escape the tourists.