Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiker missing in Zion National Park

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Unconfirmed but I am hearing SAR found the guy alive last night.

I always wonder who's route description was being used

Tanya is usually pretty good at providing details to Zion SAR's, she might have more info later on.

Chesapeake Hiker Missing In Utah Park Found

A Virginia man missing in southern Utah's Zion National Park was rescued by helicopter Monday night, according to the man's wife.

Fifty-five-year-old Tom Gerhardt of Chesapeake, Virginia, spent three nights in the park's back country for what was supposed to be a day hike.

Barbara Gerhardt tells us her husband dislocated his shoulder and has some scratches but is otherwise okay. He'll be flying home later this week as scheduled.

Gerhardt left his car Saturday for a hike of The Subway, a narrow chasm in the park's Kolob Terrace section.

Early on, other hikers say they saw Gerhardt entering a canyon leading to The Subway. That was the only sighting of him.

The Park Service sent out a dog and helicopter Monday but didn't find the hiker. Rangers did find a blue wind-breaker, but it wasn't certain if the jacket was Gerhardt's.

The other hikers say he was wearing shorts, a white thermal shirt, hat and fanny pack, and using a pair of hiking sticks. Nighttime temperatures are dipping into the 40s at Zion National Park.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Unconfirmed but I am hearing SAR found the guy alive last night.

They did. The news grabbed it quick. SAR spent the day exploring slot canyons, RF, NF and I think some of Das Boot. Then late last night the helicopter, using night vision, spotted him at North Guardian Angel. Why would someone that headed out for a one day hike endure so many nights if he only had a hurt shoulder?

A Virginia man missing in southern Utah's Zion National Park was rescued by helicopter Monday night, according to the man's wife.

Fifty-five-year-old Tom Gerhardt of Chesapeake, Virginia, spent three nights in the park's back country for what was supposed to be a day hike.

Barbara Gerhardt tells us her husband dislocated his shoulder and has some scratches but is otherwise okay. He'll be flying home later this week as scheduled.

Gerhardt left his car Saturday for a hike of The Subway, a narrow chasm in the park's Kolob Terrace section.

Early on, other hikers say they saw Gerhardt entering a canyon leading to The Subway. That was the only sighting of him.

The Park Service sent out a dog and helicopter Monday but didn't find the hiker. Rangers did find a blue wind-breaker, but it wasn't certain if the jacket was Gerhardt's.

The other hikers say he was wearing shorts, a white thermal shirt, hat and fanny pack, and using a pair of hiking sticks. Nighttime temperatures are dipping into the 40s at Zion National Park.

Bogley BigShot

I am sure it had to be your route description, not mine.
    I will dig and see what I can find that is allowed to be said.

I always tell everyone it was Tom or Kelsey's route description

Bogley BigShot
    I always tell everyone it was Tom or Kelsey's route description

But you are so much more fun to tease.... we will find out. I am sure its not mine or that would have been the first thing I heard!

Does Kelsey have a Subway Route written? I met him a month ago or so. He was headed to Red Cave armed with your trail description and map. What a nice, gentle and humble man. He was nothing like I thought he would be. Hopefully he made it through both his hikes. We talked so long that he was worried. He was doing Red Cave and Birch Hollow that day.

yes mike kelsey does, and even has a route for the entire left fork/great west canyon, from far above das boot.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    yes mike kelsey does, and even has a route for the entire left fork/great west canyon, from far above das boot.

I will have to put that one on my to do list. I want to right fork too from the top too. I tend to only look at Shane's stuff on the web and his Zion canyoneering guide. (It has personality) I rarely dig out books for canyons even though I have them. Does Allen have Subway and other Zion canyons in his books?

Kelsey has a description of Subway. Steve Allen has no Zion routes in his books.

I think Kelsey would eliminate most of the animosity toward himself if he would adopt the natural anchors ethics (or bolt appropriate ethics) that has become the standard. Even if that is not exactly what he believes in, it being what the community demands. So give the folks what they ask for.

I've talked with Kelsey several times over the last couple of years. I have always found him to be a really nice guy.

Bogley BigShot
    Kelsey has a description of Subway. Steve Allen has no Zion routes in his books.

I think Kelsey would eliminate most of the animosity toward himself if he would adopt the natural anchors ethics (or bolt appropriate ethics) that has become the standard. Even if that is not exactly what he believes in, it becoming what the community demands. So give the folks what they ask for.

I've talked with Kelsey several times over the last couple of years. I have always found him to be a really nice guy.

Men don't change much at his age.... probably not much chance he will. He said he knew you. I did not think that well, since he only said good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    He said he knew you. I did not think that well, since he only said good stuff.

I think Kelsey would eliminate most of the animosity toward himself if he would adopt the natural anchors ethics (or bolt appropriate ethics) that has become the standard. Even if that is not exactly what he believes in, it being what the community demands. So give the folks what they ask for.
    actually i believe he has adopted the natural anchoring ethics. i need to look and quote, but i believe in his first edition of tech canyoneering he does promote the use of natural anchors first, and when at all possible. perhaps he may not go as far as stretching 50 meters of webbing along a slot when there is nothing around. i thought the latest controversy was more the use of the g-pick.

what i believe he was somewhat criticized about with the 1st Edition tech was that he didn't promote it enough, while it's in there, it's not ubiquitously embrazen in the book. this may occur in the next edition, but i am not sure. i wish i had the 1st edition with me at work to point it out.

Bogley BigShot
    actually i believe he has adopted the natural anchoring ethics. i need to look and quote, but i believe in his first edition of tech canyoneering he does promote the use of natural anchors first, and when at all possible. perhaps he may not go as far as stretching 50 meters of webbing along a slot when there is nothing around. i thought the latest controversy was more the use of the g-pick.

what i believe he was somewhat criticized about with the 1st Edition tech was that he didn't promote it enough, while it's in there, it's not ubiquitously embrazen in the book. this may occur in the next edition, but i am not sure. i wish i had the 1st edition with me at work to point it out.
    I might have to throw in this new canyoneering CD again. I was on the computer and just had it playing. Its really long, but I think he was showing that G pick in it?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I might have to throw in this new canyoneering CD again. I was on the computer and just had it playing. Its really long, but I think he was showing that G pick in it?
    you're talking about canyoneering the colorado plateau by jon smith?

i haven't seen it yet. i am waiting to purchase the DVD when the final version has been completed. currently they only have the premier version.

maybe it would be of interest to get both and see how it changes. it'd be nice to copy the premier version, and purhcase the final version.

actually i believe he has adopted the natural anchoring ethics.
    Basically in the first edition Kelsey promotes natural anchors to an extent. But he also introduced the dreaded "G-Pick". In the first edition he still refers to those who remove bolts as "Wilderness and Ethics Freaks".

I think if Kelsey promoted natural anchors a little stronger, dumped the G-Pick and stated something like bolts for emergencies he would gain more acceptance in the community hierarchy.

I have yet to see the Jon Smith DVD. At $20 a pop I doubt I'll ever buy a copy. I'll just watch Shaggy's excellent video's for free and continue to spend the rest of my money on wild women, fast cars and beer

Well I don

Bogley BigShot
    actually i believe he has adopted the natural anchoring ethics.
    Basically in the first edition Kelsey promotes natural anchors to an extent. But he also introduced the dreaded "G-Pick". In the first edition he still refers to those who remove bolts as "Wilderness and Ethics Freaks".

I think if Kelsey promoted natural anchors a little stronger, dumped the G-Pick and stated something like bolts for emergencies he would gain more acceptance in the community hierarchy.

I have yet to see the Jon Smith DVD. At $20 a pop I doubt I'll ever buy a copy. I'll just watch Shaggy's excellent video's for free and continue to spend the rest of my money on wild women, fast cars and beer

This is "Canyoneering The Colorado Plateau" by SUU

I just watched it again and its actually a really good production. It tells the history of Canyoneering. The finished copy is not for sale yet, but its a video to introduce Canyoneering to those that have never done it. I think Tom Jones is taking pre-orders for it on his site.

Those who have never done canyons, I think, will enjoy it. I don't think its really aimed at any audience except to expose people to what canyoneering is. Its nice to see Ram roaming around in it. There are also other people that you guys would be familiar with including a brief shot of my hiking partner on the Zion SAR team (you would have to know who he is though since they are all dressed the same). The video brings up the things that the "canyoneering community" (whatever that is) thinks is controversial. Kelsey in the video says the pick is for solo canyoneering or emergencies. Dave Black counters saying never to use it. Kelsey was also questioned about his hiking times, but he said he adds an hour or two to his times now so its more of an average time. Allen was asked about the criticism pertaining to his publicizing canyons. They brought up many controversial issues and had someone answer them. I guess its good to get an answer straight from the guy that did it. The permit question in Zion of course went to Ray.

i don't think that nat reads this general section, but i'll point him to this link.

as far as the photo on the back is concerned, the placing of the bolt, they felt at that location that it was very difficult to create a natural anchor for that rappel. hence their resorting to the bolt. nat and i thought it strange too that he put it on the back cover.

i don't have the paria guide with me at the moment to look at the g-pick images (and at the moment i don't remember what you're talking about), but i know nat doesn't believe in using the g-pick and has criticized mike for it. i have been with the two of them on two occasions where nat has pointed out the reason for the disapproval of the use of the g-pick and moreover that the holes in foolin' around are still there (haven't yet eroded away).

i believe mike advocates for the use of natural anchors in most situations, but in some situations he may not depending on circumstances. but he still believes in the use of the g-pick (one reason is that he's often alone), which may be hard to shake. what seems to me most possible is to convince him not to promote the use of the g-pick in his books.

Nat is placing a bolt on the back of the Paria guide and not using a G-pick. But this is a perfect example of how Mike could low-ball the bolt problem. This is a picture that I feel should not have been placed in a canyoneering book, particularly on the back cover.

Bolting should be more like masturbation.... we know people do it.... but you don't want to be caught doing it.