Thread: Yellowcake Samples

Yellowcake Samples

Yellowcake is a knickname for an ore of Uranium called Carnotite. There's a small surface deposit down the road from us here at the mine that contains some Carnotite. I've already hacked off a few chunks for my personal rock collection. If anyone is interested, I could get you some. It's really pretty stuff, and makes a great conversation piece for your mantle -- just don't sleep next to it!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't know anything about geology, why can't you sleep next to it? and do you have a pic?

it's radioactive

do you have a photo of it ... i wanna see how pretty it is.

I'd love to have a few small chunks for my rock collection as well, though I'm not sure how you'd go about getting it to me. Maybe you could PM me directions or GPS coordinates?

I looked for some at the old uranium mine in the Swell, near the San Rafael River bridge in Buckhorn Wash. All I ended up finding was what appears to be a dinosaur bone embedded in some rock that was in a tailings pile. There was also some really beautiful indigo colors on some of the rocks, which I later was told was probably from copper being in the rock.

I would love to have a piece or two for my collection. What kind of arrangements would you want to make?
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

I can't upload directions or GPS coords - in addition to being on private property, you have to drive on some of our mine haul roads to get there.

It's really pretty stuff. I'll upload some pics soon. Small samples of this stuff go for around $5 - $10 bucks on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by fouristhenewone
    I would love to have a piece or two for my collection. What kind of arrangements would you want to make?
    Depends on how much of the stuff I can get, and how many people want in. If less than 5 people show interest, I'll mail em out for free. Any more than that, and I'll have to charge for shipping and handling.

Do you put chocolate frosting on yellow cake

Hey Rock... bring me a sample Saturday if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Do you put chocolate frosting on yellow cake

Hey Rock... bring me a sample Saturday if you can.

Just smear some mud on it.

I'll see if I can get ya a good one.

Just an update on this...

I went out last Friday, and found a BUNCH more of this stuff. So, if you're interested, let me know. It's a pretty "canary yellow."

I used to have a buch of that stuff, but I threw it out because of the radioactivity. Anyway, where I got it, it was made of crumbly petrified wood? What's it made of and what does it look like over there?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    I used to have a buch of that stuff, but I threw it out because of the radioactivity. Anyway, where I got it, it was made of crumbly petrified wood? What's it made of and what does it look like over there?
    It occurs as yellow stripes through white sandstone.