Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Canyoneering - What are the good ones!?!?!?

Bogley BigShot

Fall Canyoneering - What are the good ones!?!?!?

Where do you head in the fall when the days are short, the water is COLD and the days are sort of hot and cold?

There is Shane's favorite Canyon in Zion of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like the Swell and the Roost this time of year. North Wash is great as well. Lots of 5 to 8 hour trips to choose from. Water can largely be avoided and there are no bugs!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell
    I like the Swell and the Roost this time of year. North Wash is great as well. Lots of 5 to 8 hour trips to choose from. Water can largely be avoided and there are no bugs!

Some day I am just going to have to cross my boundry line and head for this Swell place. It just seems to be a favorite of so many when the weather turns cold.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Some day I am just going to have to cross my boundry line and head for this Swell place.

I like the Roost, North Wash and Moab when the weather turns cold.

Some day I am just going to have to cross my boundry line and head for this Swell place. It just seems to be a favorite of so many when the weather turns cold.
    Got a trip coming up real soon to the Swell and North Wash if you'd like to join us?

cedar mesa is one of my favorite places in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    You talking hiking or tech canyoneering?

I really like hiking Cedar Mesa in winter, but not technical canyoneering. The Cedar Mesa canyons can hold a lot of ice cold water..... were talking major shrinkage

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    You talking hiking or tech canyoneering?

I really like hiking Cedar Mesa in winter, but not technical canyoneering. The Cedar Mesa canyons can hold a lot of ice cold water..... were talking major shrinkage
    cold water ROCKS!

yeah ... nontech. i just threw it in on this thread for the shock value.

that being said, there is one mildly tech canyon catching on for a descent at least one day in the winter.

Bogley BigShot
    like the Roost, North Wash and Moab when the weather turns cold.

Where would you go if you left that comfort zone this time of year?

Bogley BigShot
    Got a trip coming up real soon to the Swell and North Wash if you'd like to join us?

But dear, we hardly know each other.

actually some of the road accessible stuff on powell could be quite nice in the fall and winter. it's lower elevation makes it often much warmer than the roost/swell and even northwash.

in early january we did two powell canyons ... the temps were QUITE nice and the canyons had almost NO water in them whatsoever.

I consider anything in the western US to be in my comfort zone.... but a lot of times in winter I go do slots and slickrock hiking in southern NV. Lots of stuff around Lake Mead..... Valley of Fire would probably be a good starting place for you.

Bogley BigShot
    I could go with Shane anywhere.

I learned my lesson during my first trip through the Subway. I went with people I did not know. One guy invited me. Someone I really did not like at all, but still went since I was new to this stuff. It was the trip from Hell for me! I think the 2 females there hated me. The 3 guys were okay. One was really nice actually. After that I stuck to people I have posted to a lot and have got to know. My trip through the Subway with Shane was fun and so has been every other hiking/canyoneering/climbing trip I have taken because I make sure I know the people now. --- at least as well as one can on the net.

Bogley BigShot
    I consider anything in the western US to be in my comfort zone.... but a lot of times in winter I go do slots and slickrock hiking in southern NV. Lots of stuff around Lake Mead..... Valley of Fire would probably be a good starting place for you.

I still have a lot of stuff to explore around me. I was just reading yesterday in the news that Lake Mead got more visitors this year than the Grand Canyon did! I grew up in Vegas and even went back for a few years to go to school at UNLV but did not spend enough time at the lake to find the good stuff. What do you like out there?

Bogley BigShot
    actually some of the road accessible stuff on powell could be quite nice in the fall and winter. it's lower elevation makes it often much warmer than the roost/swell and even northwash.

in early january we did two powell canyons ... the temps were QUITE nice and the canyons had almost NO water in them whatsoever.

I am going to get a boat one of these next years and start spending a LOT of time at Lake Powell!

What do you like out there?
    As I said, start with a day or two in Valley of Fire. This will get you started.

Valley of Fire
    http://climb-utah.com/VoF/index.htm

If you want the scoop on Southern Nevada the best info around is probably Branch Whitney's

Hiking Las Vegas
    http://www.hikinglasvegas.com

It's a pay-per-view site. I find his info to be really good. I have no problem paying for good beta, its worth every penny to me to save the time that lack of beta eats up. Branch's site is really slim on technical canyons, but by reading between the lines you can put together some nice tech routes. If you are into hiking around LV then this is probably must own beta.

But dear, we hardly know each other.
    Well I think you'd have a fun time. We're all pretty mello. There are actually a few people going that you may already know personally from the forums here. However I do understand going with people you like and trust all too well. Nothing sucks worse than being in the middle of nowhere with an a__hole.

Bogley BigShot
    If this photo is you, just use it for your poster and you will have all the women sign up for your tours. Charge them more than the other guy.

I can't find Kyrell. Who are you?!?! All I know is you hang out with Shane. That is not always a good thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I see you've been snooping around in my photo album. That's me on the job. There's about 80,000 pounds of pure copper cathode behind me.

Ya, I know.........I'm a nerd.

I can vouch for Kyrell. He's fun to hike with....when he can grab a free weekend. He works with Hollywood types with crazy deadlines....enough to stress anyone out!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Don't be thinking the warm weather is over yet. I've seen many days in southern Utah in the 90's, and 80's are still common.

Anyway, if the roads clear up and the rain stops for a while (after all this is supposed to be a desert), then most areas save some of the wet slots in Escalante and Zion should be at their prime. In most years, October and April are the best month to do most canyons. This year seems to be very different though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.