Thread: Best place to hunt bunnies?

Best place to hunt bunnies?

I had heard that the rabbits are thick out in the west desert area but we went out there last Sat. and only saw/shot at 4. We were right off the Allen Ranch Rd.(Cedar Valley), to the west in the foothills. The bunnies we saw were spookin' out about a 100 yards in front of us- tough to shoot with a 9mm carbine. Anybody know of a better place out in that same area?
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was out near allen's ranch around dusk about a month or so ago, and there were bunnies everywhere

I haven't had time to go check, but I hear from a lot of people that the rabbits are thick over by promontory. They said it was like rabbit mating grounds out there just because there were so many bunnies. Last year I made it out there and went through almost two boxes of 22 shells @ 550 shells per box. There were rabbits everywhere.

I went back out to West of Utah Lake, and there were still lots of signs of bunnies, and we saw some jack rabbits, but they're skittish. i think they've been hunted a lot out there. But, I bet there's some coyotes around if there's so many rabbits...

We found a spot out by Top Liff (south of Five Mile Pass) that had bunnies-o-plenty. We've been there twice now in the last couple of weeks and saw and shot at tons of 'em. I'm amazed at how fast they move. If you don't hit them with your first couple of shots they are all of a sudden 200 yards away! My buddy recently mounted a 4x scope on is Ruger 10/22. That helped him greatly at the further away shots but not up close. I have a 10/22 (the best .22 ever made imho) but have been useing my 9mm assault carbine with a red dot I just put on. I'd probably have a better hit rate with the .22 but the 9mm is just so much fun to shoot, plus if I actually hit something, it's down for the count. So much fun, can't wait to go again! Question, has anybody tried the .22 with the hotter powder load? I think the faster velocity would help with the faster moving bunnies.
    Are we there yet?

If you really want to even the odds with bunnies at 200+ yards, ya gotta use a .22-250 with a scope. The velocity and accuracy of that gun is incredible. Ive seen bunnies hit with that on a dead run 200 yards away and it is a sight to see.

I have been shooting a 17hmr at the bunnies and that is also a good choice. There is nothing like seeing a bunny explode..

Make that nothing like seeing a bunny explode at a dead run.

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    I haven't had time to go check, but I hear from a lot of people that the rabbits are thick over by promontory. They said it was like rabbit mating grounds out there just because there were so many bunnies. Last year I made it out there and went through almost two boxes of 22 shells @ 550 shells per box. There were rabbits everywhere.

I second that ! Rabbits are everywhere out there. Take your weapon of choice and just start walking the sage brush and kicking and making all sorts of noise - those rabbits will be running and you'll be blasting.

I've been out around Montello, Nevada already this year and found plenty of rabbits. I switched from hunting them w/ the 10-22 and my 30-30. I reload a 110 grain flat nose, hollowpoint for the 30-30. If I hit them anywhere around the shoulder area, it usually blows the head off clean. Center mass shots equate to mass devastation and carnage. Kaboom!