Thread: Backcountry Road Conditions

Backcountry Road Conditions

After the massive flooding from last week here is what I am hearing back from friends in the field. Most the backcountry roads are a real mess. Many of the roads are impassable. Most of the back roads have been washed out where ever they cross a wash or dry stream. 4x4 and high clearance are currently the name of the game. Also you had better bring a shovel because you will probably have to do a little improvised construction where roads have been washed out. Many of the back country roads still have deep pools of standing water and mud that make the roads impassable.

Numerous roads in Cedar Mesa are washed out. The road through Butler wash will need some major reconstruction.

Most roads crossing White canyon have been washed out and the canyon still has minor flow.

The county road crews are currently grading in the Swell and in the Roost, but they have a lot of work to do and have just begun.

It might be helpful if folks have specific knowledge of a road being open or closed if they could post it below. I'm guessing some/many of the roads we use to access the canyons will be closed until spring. If you know a popular road has been graded please post an update.

I'm hoping after this weekend when folks start getting out that we'll have a better understanding of what is accessible and in what type of vehicle.

Thanks for playing post any road info you have below....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Greetings,

Hmmmm...looks like I have a good excuse to go for a drive down to the Cheesebox access road. I'll post either tonight or tomorrow.

Stay tuned...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

uh, so does this mean the guys w/ the 4x4's get the trip invites....

who wants to go play??

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    uh, so does this mean the guys w/ the 4x4's get the trip invites....

who wants to go play??
    Hey Marc, I just sent you an invite. Go check your mailbox. Same with Rockgremlin.

WARNING:

Something I left out but should probably be mentioned. Many of the anchors in the slots have washed out. Those that remain should be carefully inspected before using. Also a good idea to carry extra slings and webbing for a while. I get the feeling a lot of anchors are going to need some major fixing.

Greetings,

Message recieved.

Greetings and saludations,

rockgremlin, FYI, you are too hooked on greetings!

Many of the anchors in the slots have washed out.
    Saw some webbing in that had been washed out of leprechaun last Saturday. So I'll second that!

Many of the anchors in the slots have washed out. Those that remain should be carefully inspected before using. Also a good idea to carry extra slings and webbing for a while. I get the feeling a lot of anchors are going to need some major fixing.
    I agree with Shane, and would even take it one step father. Not only could the anchors be washed out, but with the amount of rain there was (this was the biggest storm in over 100 years in some areas), there could even be new obstacles and rappels, and it is possibly that some old ones could have washed out.

There have been many drops and rappels that come and go in the canyons. One canyon that used to be a walk through now has a 25 foot rappel in it. Other canyons that used to have drops no longer do. No telling what the latest storm did.

I assume the vast majority of the canyons didn
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Just back from a drive to check out things in White Canyon. The Cheesebox/Gravel Canyon access road that cuts through the White Canyon is washed out, but its not as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely 4WD only, but also definitely doable. White Canyon was still flowing at roughly 3-5 gpm at 6:30 pm.

A few pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I would particularly be interested in the condition of the Behind-the-Reef Road, and the road from Temple Junction to LWH and Ding-Dang.

-Richard

[quote="Richard Barron" the condition of the Behind-the-Reef Roa[/quote]

They are holding the big 24 hours of Moab mountain bike race this weekend, which I believe is held Behind the Reef. If that is true I'm guessing that road will get immediate attention.

Thanks Ice. Let me know if you hear any further. -R

A lot of folks are getting out this weekend. I'm hoping everyone posts when they get back and then we'll have a better picture of what is accessible to what vehicles.

Arches access routes are repaired
    By Lisa J. Church
    Special to The Tribune

MOAB - The trail to Delicate Arch and the road to the Delicate Arch viewpoint have been reopened after massive flooding on Oct. 6 forced Arches National Park to close access to the park's most popular feature.

Park officials announced Thursday that work crews have temporarily rerouted the hiking trail to Delicate Arch to avoid the most severely damaged areas near Salt Wash and a footbridge.

The detour adds about a fifth of a mile to the three-mile round-trip hike, said Diane Allen, the park's chief of interpretation.

Visitors may now hike to Wolfe Ranch, a historic site located near the damaged trail head to Delicate Arch, but must return to the parking lot to access the temporary trail head leading to the 45-foot-high arch. The trail beyond Wolfe Ranch was completely washed away and will take months to repair.

Salt Wash, a major drainage from the Book Cliffs and Yellow Cat area, gouged a new channel, wiping out at least 50 horizontal feet of trail surface, Allen said.

Backcountry dirt roads within the park's boundaries remain impassible, but the two-wheel-drive road in Salt Valley that leads to Klondike Bluffs is now open, park officials said.