Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zion NP Trip

Part The Next of Zion National Park, Sept '06

Couldn't decide whether to get all kitted out for the Narrows on Thursday. Went in to the Zion Adventure Center folks, did a little shopping around in the shop. Asked the fellow in the rental center about renting socks, shoes, and whether pants would be a good idea. His thought was that it was just at the point where it depended upon your own cold resistance. Tony's a wimp when it comes to cold, but I'm pretty untouched by cold. But solidarity - if he's going to walk around in goofy pants, so will I. Se we rented them. By the end of the day, we sure were glad we had. That's a lot of hours in rushing, chilly water. Worked great, too...

Good parking karma again - parked right by the shuttle turn-off. Rode up to Temple of Sinawava, donning the wacky pants as we went. Strolled up the river, then down the steps onto the rocks, leaving the mere mortals behind.

By the way, we've divided the tourist throngs in National Parks (and elsewhere) into two distinct groups. The Sheep see that other people are going somewhere, and all follow along, prefering the comfort of a crowd. The Cattle, on the other hand, go where they are told. "The bus driver said to go up there and turn right." And they all do. I don't know where this leaves us...

Anyway:

Left the safety of the sidewalk, and headed upriver. Spent hours in the water, getting tired hip flexors from struggling against the opposite flowing water. Sure was glad I bought a waterproof camera before leaving home!

Went up to the Orderville Canyon turnoff, figuring we'd stop for lunch there. Got our first view of it off in the distance, and decided to stop for lunch early, and not in view of the turnoff. The had to be 20 people there...

Continued up the Narrows, and were finally turned around by a big pool with a big rock beside it. Looked like we could have got through at about mid chest-level, but didn't want to flood the pants over the top. Anyway, we were happy with what we'd done, and wanted to check out Orderville, too.

Headed back downriver, then up into Orderville Canyon. How delightful! Went up past the first falls (and the Don't Go Past Here sign) for a while, and turned around just before a bigger waterfall. A couple of guys coming the other direction downclimbed/jumped those falls. They'd come down from the top, and looked like they were having a good time, but trying not to get their packs wet. Interesting rope gymnastics to do so.

Anyway, all in all, it was excellent. Returned the equipment, then spruced up and went to the Spotted Dog for dinner with some people we met in the Narrows. A great day!
    Attached Images Attached Images                           

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Part The Next of Zion National Park, Sept '06

Couldn't decide whether to get all kitted out for the Narrows on Thursday. Went in to the Zion Adventure Center folks, did a little shopping around in the shop. Asked the fellow in the rental center about renting socks, shoes, and whether pants would be a good idea. His thought was that it was just at the point where it depended upon your own cold resistance. Tony's a wimp when it comes to cold, but I'm pretty untouched by cold. But solidarity - if he's going to walk around in goofy pants, so will I. Se we rented them. By the end of the day, we sure were glad we had. That's a lot of hours in rushing, chilly water. Worked great, too...

Good parking karma again - parked right by the shuttle turn-off. Rode up to Temple of Sinawava, donning the wacky pants as we went. Strolled up the river, then down the steps onto the rocks, leaving the mere mortals behind.

By the way, we've divided the tourist throngs in National Parks (and elsewhere) into two distinct groups. The Sheep see that other people are going somewhere, and all follow along, prefering the comfort of a crowd. The Cattle, on the other hand, go where they are told. "The bus driver said to go up there and turn right." And they all do. I don't know where this leaves us...

Anyway:

Left the safety of the sidewalk, and headed upriver. Spent hours in the water, getting tired hip flexors from struggling against the opposite flowing water. Sure was glad I bought a waterproof camera before leaving home!

Good choices and more fun pictures!

Went up to the Orderville Canyon turnoff, figuring we'd stop for lunch there. Got our first view of it off in the distance, and decided to stop for lunch early, and not in view of the turnoff. The had to be 20 people there...

Continued up the Narrows, and were finally turned around by a big pool with a big rock beside it. Looked like we could have got through at about mid chest-level, but didn't want to flood the pants over the top. Anyway, we were happy with what we'd done, and wanted to check out Orderville, too.

Headed back downriver, then up into Orderville Canyon. How delightful! Went up past the first falls (and the Don't Go Past Here sign)

for a while, and turned around just before a bigger waterfall. A couple of guys coming the other direction downclimbed/jumped those falls.

Its always scares me when people jump!

They'd come down from the top, and looked like they were having a good time, but trying not to get their packs wet. Interesting rope gymnastics to do so.

Anyway, all in all, it was excellent. Returned the equipment, then spruced up and went to the Spotted Dog for dinner with some people we met in the Narrows. A great day!
    Sounds like a great trip. How was the Spotted Dog? I have never been there?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Its always scares me when people jump!
    Actually, it wasn't so bad - the first guy kind of downclimbed a bit (it was only about a 10 foot drop) and then dropped in. He kind of tested it out a bit, then used the rope to bring down their packs. The second guy jumped, where the first guy had checked it out.

At first, they called to us (sort of stuck about 40 feet away) asking if we knew whether it was jumpable. "Can you jump this?!?" (it was pretty loud in there). "No idea!" I replied. With much shrugging, I then held up 1 finger and hollered, "Well... once!" Fortunately, they realized I was joking, and didn't go leaping in!

Sounds like a great trip. How was the Spotted Dog? I have never been there?
    It was actually much nicer than I expected, from the name. Our dinner companions (a couple of nice young ladies, plus a couple, all from North Carolina) were dressed much better than we were - well, than I was; I don't clean up that well. Dinner was quite impressive, (though not exactly cheap). I had trout, Tony and a couple others had lamb. Mine was delicious, and the others all enjoyed theirs. Good wine list, too.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Actually, it wasn't so bad - the first guy kind of downclimbed a bit (it was only about a 10 foot drop) and then dropped in. He kind of tested it out a bit, then used the rope to bring down their packs. The second guy jumped, where the first guy had checked it out.

At first, they called to us (sort of stuck about 40 feet away) asking if we knew whether it was jumpable. "Can you jump this?!?" (it was pretty loud in there). "No idea!" I replied. With much shrugging, I then held up 1 finger and hollered, "Well... once!" Fortunately, they realized I was joking, and didn't go leaping in!

That spot is like that. Almost everyone is okay, but once in a while the SAR team has to carry someone out with injuries. But its slippery there, so many might fall anyway if they tried to climb? I just always make sure to take a man along to catch me.

Next time you will have to hike Orderville from the top. Its a fun hike with a lot of fun obstacles along the way.

Orderville Photos - from the top

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...ms/index71.htm

Spotted Dog sounds more like a tourist restaurant then?

------------------------

Other stuff --- New Diner and the Tunnel (while I am thinking of it)

I saw a new diner in Springdale today called Blondies. Anyone been to it? They took one of the charming old homes that is on the main drag and turned it into a restaurant. I wonder how the food is?

I went through the park for the first time on a weekday during work hours and that wait at the tunnel IS very long now! I came home a little before 5pm though and they had everything cleaned up and there were no waits at that time. So... if you have to drive through the tunnel do it early or late or weekends and holidays until they are done with construction ---- about January.

That spot is like that. Almost everyone is okay, but once in a while the SAR team has to carry someone out with injuries. But its slippery there, so many might fall anyway if they tried to climb? I just always make sure to take a man along to catch me.

Next time you will have to hike Orderville from the top. Its a fun hike with a lot of fun obstacles along the way.

Orderville Photos - from the top

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...ms/index71.htm
    Excellent stuff - thank you! We were already thinking that might have to be a must-do next time - you've confirmed it. For some of those fun little obstacles, do you take along anything of a technical nature - short rope, webbing, whatever? Need to get into more technical canyoneering, eventually - excellent, more equipment to buy! (Got tons of climbing stuff, gonna need the watery stuff!)

Spotted Dog sounds more like a tourist restaurant then?
    Well, tourist in the sense that that's who will mostly go there. If anyone local was wanting a nice dinner out, I think it would be a nice spot...

The Mean Bean was our breakfast spot of choice while we were there. Ate at the Pizza & Noodle a couple of times. Mmmm - The European Trail pizza was excellent.

The consensus was that we would have to come back - probably together for more hiking/canyon adventures - but also with our respective families. I think my wife and kids would love both the park and the town of Springdale. Pleasant place to amble through - at least, it was near the end of September, midweek.

Bogley BigShot
    Excellent stuff - thank you! We were already thinking that might have to be a must-do next time - you've confirmed it. For some of those fun little obstacles, do you take along anything of a technical nature - short rope, webbing, whatever? Need to get into more technical canyoneering, eventually - excellent, more equipment to buy! (Got tons of climbing stuff, gonna need the watery stuff!)

Semi-technical slot canyons like Orderville and The Subway are fun since you don't have to carry much gear or spend time rigging ropes. Whenever going into a semi-technical canyon or even some place that might have some iffy spots I make sure there is a rope along. Just check Shane's website or mine and there is a list of gear needed to take along for any canyon. Mine just has Zion and the GSENM. Shane's has canyon's galore.

Shanes
    http://climb-utah.com

Well, tourist in the sense that that's who will mostly go there. If anyone local was wanting a nice dinner out, I think it would be a nice spot...

The Mean Bean was our breakfast spot of choice while we were there. Ate at the Pizza & Noodle a couple of times. Mmmm - The European Trail pizza was excellent.

I like Pizza & Noodle too, but quit going because the pizzas were burnt the last 3 times. I tend to go to the Bit n' Spur a lot.

The consensus was that we would have to come back - probably together for more hiking/canyon adventures - but also with our respective families. I think my wife and kids would love both the park and the town of Springdale. Pleasant place to amble through - at least, it was near the end of September, midweek.[/quote]

I have always liked Springdale too.

No place beats Zion!

WOW, thanks for these excellent pics!

I know they are from last year but I am heading there next week and am so psyched to go....been wanting to do this trip for two years now.

AWESOME pictures!

Trish
    ~~~~Trish~~~~~

Bogley BigShot
    Looking at those dates..... Deja Vu

We did Orderville yesterday. It was 24F when we left the truck at 7:30am. There was 7 of us and it was a long day, but we had a wonderful trip! Looking forward to going again next summer in the height of the heat. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    It was 24F when we left the truck at 7:30am.

BRRRR!!!!

Man, I hope the overnight lows warm up in the next week or so...

Trish, hope you have a great trip - maybe see you there! Look for the stunned guy with a Canadian accent, gaping around at the scenery.

Awesome phots. Looks like a great trip. The narrows are somthing that I have yet to do, it was on the list for this year, but I am not sure it will happen.
    Cirrus2000, How much did it cost you to rent those dry suits? If I get a chance to do the narrows before it gets too cold I think IO might need a pair.
    shoot straight, cast far, and hike all day.

Quote Originally Posted by COUNTRYBOY
    Cirrus2000, How much did it cost you to rent those dry suits? If I get a chance to do the narrows before it gets too cold I think I might need a pair.
    Got 'em at Zion Adventure Co. and I couldn't remember what they cost, so I looked it up on the internets. What a wonderful thing, the Wide Wide World of Web:

Rental List
    Cold Water Package

So, $29, which includes dry pants, 5.10 Canyoneers, neoprene socks and a walking stick. Worth every penny as the temps drop...

Awesome thanks. Now I just need to find a day off and friend go with.
    shoot straight, cast far, and hike all day.