Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zion NP Trip

Zion NP Trip

I got back about 2 weeks ago from a trip into Zion National Park with a friend.

We flew in to Vegas on Sunday the 17th, and stayed the night there. Monday we left for Utah. We planned on doing a couple of days in Bryce, then a couple in Zion. As we drove through Zion, especially once we got through the tunnel, we were stunned by the amount of spectacularness, and wondrousitude. Decided we could spend years in Zion, never mind just a week. We turned around and got a campsite in Springdale.

Tuesday we hiked and scrambled around on the east side of the tunnel, mostly in a couple of canyons north of the highway, about 1.5 to 2 miles east of the smaller tunnel. Incredible petroglyphs and scenery!

Wednesday we hiked up to the Emerald Pools (middle and upper), then headed further up the valley to Observation Point.

Thursday was a trip up the Virgin River Narrows, bottom up.

Friday we decided to take it easy, so we hopped in the car and drove up to Bryce after all. Spent a couple of (very cold) hours driving and taking photos.

I'll post reports on a couple of these hikes over the next couple of days. For now, here are some photos from the first evening - after we got through the tunnel, and decided to turn around. We didn't want to get stuck in traffic again, so we scrambled around a bit until dark - when the roadwork ended.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pics, I am looking forward to seeing the rest. That really sucks about the traffic Jam.

Tuesday

Hiking/Scrambling in East Zion

Tuesday we headed through the tunnel into the east side of Zion for some hiking and scrambling. When we'd driven through on Monday, we made a note of promising spots to explore on the GPS, and decided on a couple to try. The first was almost 2 miles east of the small tunnel. We parked on the north side of the road, and headed up. Just explored for an hour or so, then back to the car.

Went back toward the west for about half a mile, and got out again. There we found a small mob gathering to look at the sheep on the side of the road - including one woman who jumped out of an RV and ran toward the sheep for that perfect shot, startling them quite thoroughly. We started on the south side of the road, and passed through a masonry tunnel to the north.

As we headed up the canyon, we'd just passed a small side trail, when we heard someone call out that "They're over here - you've missed it!" We had no idea what "they" were, so we asked. Well, apparently there were some great petroglyphs along the side of the canyon. Unmarked on a map, unsigned on the trail - the parks people keep them at a low profile, to avoid mobs damaging them.

After viewing and photographing the petroglyphs, we continued up the canyon. We reached a (dry) drop-off that we were unable to climb up, and circled around to the east. The valley above opened up, and we continued up for quite a ways. Eventually, the way got a bit tough, and we'd been out for a while, so we headed back.

Then it was back to the campground for some carb loading (What the hell is with 3.2% Corona? Polygamy Porter is only 4%? A porter?!? Crazy. If it's less than 8%, it's barely beer!) and relaxation.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bogley BigShot

Re: Zion NP Trip

I got back about 2 weeks ago from a trip into Zion National Park with a friend.

Tuesday we hiked and scrambled around on the east side of the tunnel, mostly in a couple of canyons north of the highway, about 1.5 to 2 miles east of the smaller tunnel. Incredible petroglyphs and scenery!

Petroglyph Canyon?

Wednesday we hiked up to the Emerald Pools (middle and upper), then headed further up the valley to Observation Point.

Fun hikes!

Was the water cold?

Friday we decided to take it easy, so we hopped in the car and drove up to Bryce after all. Spent a couple of (very cold) hours driving and taking photos.

Bryce is beautiful, but does not compare with Zion!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrus2000
    Incredible petroglyphs and scenery!
    Petroglyph Canyon?
    Is that what it's called? I'm guessing so! Never saw a name for it on maps or Google Earth. The one just to the east is Keyhole Slot Canyon, according to Google Earth Community - though we didn't stick to the canyon the whole time.

Fun hikes!
    Yes, they were good! Next time it'll be Angel's Landing. I wanted to do it Friday, but my buddy wasn't feeling up to it.

Was the water cold?
    Well, we were wimpy and rented neoprene sox and 5.10 Canyoneers, plus dry pants in Springdale. The water seemed a little cold, but at least we didn't have to deal with it! I wasn't sure if it would be worth it or not, but very happy, after a few hours, that we had them. Not a numb extremity to be had.

Bryce is beautiful, but does not compare with Zion!
    Bryce has instant "Holy $#!^ - that's stunning" curb appeal, for sure. But for exploration, for getting right into the landscape, for variety of experiences, I think Zion's got it beat. Not that I spent much time in Bryce (insert standard disclaimers here: IMHO, YMMV, etc.)...

Bogley BigShot

Is that what it's called? I'm guessing so! Never saw a name for it on maps or Google Earth. The one just to the east is Keyhole Slot Canyon, according to Google Earth Community - though we didn't stick to the canyon the whole time.

If there was a wooden fence where you parked it was. Cool place. Shane and I know more, ask next time you head to Zion.

Yes, they were good! Next time it'll be Angel's Landing. I wanted to do it Friday, but my buddy wasn't feeling up to it.

Angels Landing is awesome, but I really enjoy Emerald Pools.

Well, we were wimpy and rented neoprene sox and 5.10 Canyoneers, plus dry pants in Springdale. The water seemed a little cold, but at least we didn't have to deal with it! I wasn't sure if it would be worth it or not, but very happy, after a few hours, that we had them. Not a numb extremity to be had.

Better to be comfy that act tough!

Bryce has instant "Holy $#!^ - that's stunning" curb appeal, for sure. But for exploration, for getting right into the landscape, for variety of experiences, I think Zion's got it beat. Not that I spent much time in Bryce (insert standard disclaimers here: IMHO, YMMV, etc.)..

I have never heard it said better

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Bryce has instant "Holy $#!^
    - Best Bryce description ever

Maybe this should be the Bryce motto....

Nice pics, thanks for sharing

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Bryce has instant "Holy $#!^
    - Best Bryce description ever

Maybe this should be the Bryce motto....

Nice pics, thanks for sharing

You just say that since that's where you spend your anniversaries ... I assume mostly in the hotel room

Oh - one of the most important shots on Tuesday afternoon: Rehydrating and keeping in touch on the mighty "Moab" laptop...

Bogley BigShot
    Oh - one of the most important shots on Tuesday afternoon: Rehydrating and keeping in touch on the mighty "Moab" laptop...

Which one is you? Not that it matters. You both look good

Polygamy Porter Probably utah's best beer.....

Which one is you?
    I'm the serious one, geeking out on the laptop. Tony's geeking out taking the photo with his remote. (Sony HD camcorder with built in 4 MP digital still camera. Geek.)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Polygamy Porter Probably utah's best beer.....
    Really, is that saying much? It was pretty good. But I generally like my beers strong and dark. This was dark, but not a lot of depth to it. And I'm guessing a Belgian style trippel is right out of the question...

More photos later today...

Bogley BigShot
    Which one is you?
    I'm the serious one, geeking out on the laptop. More photos later today...

I am looking forward to more photos .....

Which one is you?
    I'm the serious one, geeking out on the laptop. More photos later today...

I am looking forward to more photos .....

Yeah great photo!!!

More of my trip to Zion National Park - or "How I Spent My September Vacation"

Wednesday was another pleasant day. After stopping for supplies in town, we drove into the park and got the perfect parking spot where the shuttle turns up Zion Canyon Scenic Drive.

Got out at Zion Park Lodge, and hiked up the Emerald Pools trail to the middle then upper pool. Pleasant hike, easy going, and lots of people. Nice overlooks, though. We didn't end up going to the lower pool, and just took the Kayenta Trail down to the Grotto. Looked around for a bit, trying to find this "Grotto". Finally asked. OK, there is no actual "Grotto" for which "The Grotto" is named. Curious.

Hopped the shuttle again, and went up to Weeping Rock. Told Tony that there was a nice hike up to Observation Point - but didn't mention that it was over 2100 feet up, and a 7 mile round trip. (After the couple of miles and few hundred feet of Emerald Pools, I think he was expecting more of the same.) Broke the news to him about 1/3 of the way up, but he was pretty good about it. Just meant there'd be more beer required at the end...

The switchbacks up toward the southeast seemed interminable. Finally we swung around to the north, and entered a narrower section of Echo Canyon. Looked down into the abyss (and the abyss looked into us...) Suddenly, the riverbed was right beside us, so we went exploring for the top of the (dry) waterfall. Fun exploring, and found a little ledge with rap bolts. Cool.

Continued up the canyon, and into a truly narrow section - with a huge trail blasted out of the side. Seemed a little bit of overkill, but in the summer there are probably busloads of people, ranks 4 or 5 wide, walking up. Probably.

The canyon opened up again, and we continued east, then up the north wall of the canyon. Switchbacks, interminably, again. Finally, up to the rim, and around toward Observation Point. The vegetation was burned away some time back, but lots was growing back.

When did this burn?

Anyway, the view from the point was phenomenal. There was a woman at the top who wouldn't get off her cell phone. Calling the kids, to say hello. Didn't want to talk for long, just checking in. 20 minutes later...

Angels Landing looked amazing from the point - you could see tiny little ant people traversing the ridge - really nice.

Finally, after a little snack and lots of photos, we headed back down. A serious wind kicked up while we were descending - blew sand into my eyes a few times.

Once we got to the bottom, I made the short side trip up to Weeping Rock, to view the hanging gardens there. Tony just waited at the shuttle stop - enough of this up and down crap...

Back to the car, and return trip to the campsite. Refreshments, of course...

Bogley BigShot
    More of my trip to Zion National Park - or "How I Spent My September Vacation"

We didn't end up going to the lower pool, and just took the Kayenta Trail down to the Grotto.

That's a shame. I think the lower pool is the nicest. That is why I try and get people to hike up the Lower Emerald Pool Trail instead of the Middle.

Looked around for a bit, trying to find this "Grotto". Finally asked. OK, there is no actual "Grotto" for which "The Grotto" is named. Curious.

That is a common thing in Zion. Its cute how people hike around looking for the Grotto. It's actually the Grotto Picnic Area. Its where the Zion Shuttle dropped you off.

Hopped the shuttle again, and went up to Weeping Rock. Told Tony that there was a nice hike up to Observation Point - but didn't mention that it was over 2100 feet up, and a 7 mile round trip. (After the couple of miles and few hundred feet of Emerald Pools, I think he was expecting more of the same.) Broke the news to him about 1/3 of the way up, but he was pretty good about it. Just meant there'd be more beer required at the end...

But Utah beer

The switchbacks up toward the southeast seemed interminable. Finally we swung around to the north, and entered a narrower section of Echo Canyon. Looked down into the abyss (and the abyss looked into us...) Suddenly, the riverbed was right beside us, so we went exploring for the top of the (dry) waterfall. Fun exploring, and found a little ledge with rap bolts. Cool.

Continued up the canyon, and into a truly narrow section - with a huge trail blasted out of the side. Seemed a little bit of overkill, but in the summer there are probably busloads of people, ranks 4 or 5 wide, walking up. Probably.

In the winter there is often quite a bit of water in that section of the trail.

The canyon opened up again, and we continued east, then up the north wall of the canyon. Switchbacks, interminably, again. Finally, up to the rim, and around toward Observation Point. The vegetation was burned away some time back, but lots was growing back.

When did this burn?

Not sure? There were some fires this summer. Not sure about that area. They closed the Angels Landing Trail for a while for a fire and there was a lot of burning in the Kolob Terrace area.

Anyway, the view from the point was phenomenal. There was a woman at the top who wouldn't get off her cell phone. Calling the kids, to say hello. Didn't want to talk for long, just checking in. 20 minutes later...

Too bad it works up there

Angels Landing looked amazing from the point - you could see tiny little ant people traversing the ridge - really nice.

Great Trail!

Finally, after a little snack and lots of photos, we headed back down. A serious wind kicked up while we were descending - blew sand into my eyes a few times.

Once we got to the bottom, I made the short side trip up to Weeping Rock, to view the hanging gardens there. Tony just waited at the shuttle stop - enough of this up and down crap...

Back to the car, and return trip to the campsite. Refreshments, of course...

Awesome photos! Looks like you fellas had a good time.
    I few chicks in bikinis to go with that beer could have made your trip a little better.

That's a shame. I think the lower pool is the nicest. That is why I try and get people to hike up the Lower Emerald Pool Trail instead of the Middle.
    I'll keep that in mind - next time it'll be the Lower... Thanks!

That is a common thing in Zion. Its cute how people hike around looking for the Grotto. It's actually the Grotto Picnic Area. Its where the Zion Shuttle dropped you off.
    Well, we knew that was the name of the shuttle stop, and knew it was a picnic area, but... Well, how did it get its name? I'm stymied.

Just meant there'd be more beer required at the end...
    But Utah beer
    Yeah, too true. But we had to look on the bright side - at least it was beer (technically). Gotta roll with the punches. Take the bad with the good. The glass was half full, not half empty. Well, actually the bottle was completely full. But not for long...

Not sure? There were some fires this summer. Not sure about that area. They closed the Angels Landing Trail for a while for a fire and there was a lot of burning in the Kolob Terrace area.
    Interesting. I remember that the Kolob area had fires & closures. Didn't know how widespread / how many there were.

Great Trail!
    On the agenda for next trip!

Thanks for the info and insights, Tanya!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I few chicks in bikinis to go with that beer could have made your trip a little better.
    A little better?!? :Drooly-Homer-Simpsonesque-Emoticon: I'll bet they would have been cold in the Virgin (snicker) River the next day...

More photos to come, tonight or tomorrow...

Bogley BigShot
    [quote="Cirrus2000"]

Well, we knew that was the name of the shuttle stop, and knew it was a picnic area, but... Well, how did it get its name? I'm stymied.

Did you notice that charming rock building behind the restrooms? That use to be the first Visitor Center. Perhaps due to that? By the way, great photos! I enjoyed them

Yeah, too true. But we had to look on the bright side - at least it was beer (technically). Gotta roll with the punches. Take the bad with the good. The glass was half full, not half empty. Well, actually the bottle was completely full. But not for long...

True! Its good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I few chicks in bikinis to go with that beer could have made your trip a little better. :lol8

A little better?!? :Drooly-Homer-Simpsonesque-Emoticon: I'll bet they would have been cold in the Virgin (snicker) River the next day...
    Oh no! Some of us quite enjoyed the male types in the photos