Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flash Floods every where.

W10, love it

Here is a video I recorded, the camera is mounted on top of my helmet

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00&q=westwater

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have one, too. It's the Pentax Optio W10. Waterproof for up to 30 minutes at 5', I think. Here are a couple threads on this site about it:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3126
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3031

Kazak has some nice pics of his helmet cam. I took mine in a wet Gravel Canyon with no problems.

Bogley BigShot
    These are great guys! I carry around a heavy and big Olympus 8.0. I have a waterproof case for it but then it really gets big! It also reduces the light I get when I am in a slot canyon so I have only used it once for that. The waterproof case seems to work well for a lake or something, but its too much for the canyons. Maybe its time to get something smaller like what you guys suggest.

I just noticed Pentax released W20 camera, seems like just 1 megapixel bigger than what we have (W10). I got my camera from Costco for 260 or something.... it takes SD ram, plenty fast and takes great videos. Also has 3x optical and a huge screen to view the pics.

If you do end up getting the camera, I'd recommend the case I got from Inkleys. It's a neoprean case, very small and has a velcro latch which is very easy to attach to a shoulder strap of your backpack and have an easy access when the camera is needed.

I'd also recommend a second battery, I got mine from Ebay for like 10 bucks shipped. I have a 2GB memory chip and it seems like it's just enough for all my movies and pictures during a 2-3 day trip. I think I can fit about 10-15 mins of video (30 fps) and about 100-150 pics.

Happy shooting

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    These are great guys!

Well thank you, we try to work out and keep our sexy form

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    These are great guys!

Well thank you, we try to work out and keep our sexy form

Sexy form!!!!! I want to see

Quote Originally Posted by nat
    The next day dawned perfectly clear, and we headed up to do Neon. It was of course full of water, and had some flow still. Rappeling through the Golden Cathedral in a waterfall was pretty cool.
    I'm heading down to do Neon in a couple weeks. How's the keeper looking? I know that thing fills and empties on a regular basis.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    You guys should really invest in Pentax WP camera. The best thing I have bought so far. If you like any sports activity with water around, this camera is a life saver. I use mine on rafting/kayaking trips, used it going through Cheesebox with Ice and the gang, use it during the rain and fishing. I even took it down Colorado river last weekend, when the river was filled with silt. My camera was covered in mud and water, but was taking movies and pics none stop!
    I love to hear the report and recommendation cause that is exactly the camera I bought a few weeks ago. I have been out in the rain to take photos of accident scenes and clients cars so far and will be in Heaps, next week, weather permitting. Great photos, really brings out the dings and dents in cars. Hope I can get as good of photos in Heaps as you did in Cheesebox. Hey do you use anything to protect the display screen or the lens? I have one of the rubber covers to help with bumps and scrapes but it obviously does not cover the display or lens. Also, what settings do you use in the dark slots sections?
    Life is Good

I use my case (described above) to protect it while I am climbing around. Also the camera is attached to my case via a cord, I can take a pic and show you if you like. In case I drop it so I don't lose the camera or it hits the ground. The lens is the only problem I have with the camera. I don't know how I can cover it to help with protection.

My protection.... I got it at Costco.... if it really gets banged up, I'll just take it back.

I always shoot on P mode and use a fill in flash. I never have the camera on Auto, just a personal choice. Also, try to not use Zoom in the slot. The Aperature would be open more with smaller zoom and the pics woulnd't be as flashed out, because you won't need as much of a flash.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    I'll post a good one tomorrow. I actually had two cameras, but neither was waterproof.
    Ready and waiting for the pics, I am exicted to seem them.

I actually looked at Costco but they didn't carry it. And yes, a photo of your cover and set up would be helpful. Thanks for going to the trouble. One day soon I am going to learn to post photos now that I have a digital camera. One more question, how long does the battery charge stay good. Would you recommend a spare for an overnighter in say... Heaps?
    Life is Good

Scott, actualy I doubt you'd run out of the battery in a weekend. But that said I can list at least 3-4 times that my battery died perfectly at the wrong time. So I always pack a spare battery with me. The charge of a single battery lasted me over 15 minutes of video and about ~70 shots with about 30 of them with a flash (just to give you an idea).

For 10 bucks per extra battery, you can't go wrong :)

Check out Google's Picasa for editing AND posting pictures online for free. I'd say it's the easiest way to share the pictures on the internet now.

http://picasa.google.com/

. Lower Neon was flowing around 500-1000cfs. No canyoneering today! A couple of hours later, Neon stopped flowing and started backing up, looking like a lake at the lower end. We assumed there was a dam formed lower near the mouth. We climbed up on the rim between lower Neon and the Escalante to see what was going on. The sight from the rim was the most astonishing thing I have ever seen outdoors. The Escalante was raging windgate wall to wingate wall, around 400 feet wide at the mouth of Neon. It must have been at least 30,000cfs. It certainly more than I have ever seen the Colorado or Green rivers.

Crossing 25 mile wash on the Egypt road was brutal. In fact there was no road in sight 75ft on either side of the wash. We just barely made it in the 4runner after a fair amount of "road work".
    Glad to hear you 4Runner got you out. That is an amazing TR, Nat. I would have given my left nut to see what you just described. I could keep my pair if you guys would just post a pic or two. I hate to say it but:

You guys (as in everybody in this forum) have got to see your cameras as disposable. That is these once in a lifetime shots and memories are more valuable than the cameras. And if you don't agree then you need to by a cheaper camera to take out there.

James

Yeah 4Runner!!!

Bogley BigShot

Re: Flash Floods every where.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    East Zion is seeing some massive flooding.

Did a couple of quick hikes today in Zion with the family. It was raining pretty hard so there were waterfalls galore. Here is a couple of shots. One from Temple of Sinawava and the other farthern down on the Riverside Walk Trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Friday night and Saturday (Oct. 14) it rained hard in the Swell, it rained hard in the Roost and it rained hard in Moab. Every dirt road I inspected was a major mud bog. Off highway travel is not recommended for at least the next couple of days.

I have been told it also rained hard in Zion and that the dirt roads on the Zion Ponderosa and Orderville access are a mess.

I'm pretty certain that every pothole in the state is currently full of water. The biggest positive is I have been seeing a lot of cool waterfall pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by moabfool
    The next day dawned perfectly clear, and we headed up to do Neon. It was of course full of water, and had some flow still. Rappeling through the Golden Cathedral in a waterfall was pretty cool.
    I'm heading down to do Neon in a couple weeks. How's the keeper looking? I know that thing fills and empties on a regular basis.

hmm, i just noticed this post.

uhh, let's just say we saw no keeper as it was completely submerged in water and was overflowing with water on the opposite end. as a result there was no way to assess the level of sand in the pothole.

(for an image of the keeper) http://photographutah.org/gallery/ne...et_fullOnly=on

hey scott, did you post that image from CR? did i miss it somewheres?

i was looking forward to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by moabfool

hmm, i just noticed this post.

uhh, let's just say we saw no keeper as it was completely submerged in water and was overflowing with water on the opposite end. as a result there was no way to assess the level of sand in the pothole.

(for an image of the keeper) http://photographutah.org/gallery/ne...et_fullOnly=on
    I love swimming. Full of sand, full of water, it makes no difference to me. Thanks for the info.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

hey scott, did you post that image from CR?
    I looked at it and it didn't turn out very well. I was disappointed.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.