Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flash Floods every where.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is some cool footage..... thanks for posting. Imagine that wall of water getting squished down into a 3' wide slot

I'll make a suggestion that you send the video clip to the local news media's and I bet they air some of it on the news tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    That is some cool footage..... thanks for posting. Imagine that wall of water getting squished down into a 3' wide slot

I'll make a suggestion that you send the video clip to the local news media's and I bet they air some of it on the news tonight.
    That is old footage I actually saw it on the fox 13 about 3 months ago. I downloaded it off of the guy's web page for free, but now he sells it for 15 dollars on a dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by basilone0331
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

That is old footage I actually saw it on the fox 13 about 3 months ago. I downloaded it off of the guy's web page for free, but now he sells it for 15 dollars on a dvd.
    Good job one uploading it on youtube! Now the world can watch it for free. $15 a disc what a doorknob.

James

wow.... super cool video.

watching the head of that flood reminded me of an extrude hone machine for porting manifolds and engines.
    it's no wonder that these floods can posses such incredible carving power.

We went poking around the irish canyons on Saturday after the flooding. Blarney just had wading, the subway in in Leprechaun had some deep water and mud.

Found a spot on the side of the road where the water was undercutting the road.
    http://image14.webshots.com/14/5/78/...0GyYQWQ_fs.jpg

Some pics of the canyons
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album...wfhrhZ?start=0

This wasn't any typical flash flood scenario. It was a widespread storm, very likely a 50 year storm. Every desert drainage in the colorado plateau has been cranking, as well as the whole western slope of the rockies (in CO), and it wasn't for just a few hours. To get an idea of the magnitude of the rainfall, below, I've reposted a TR a kayaker named Sam posted to several whitewater forums. Hope he doesn't mind me reposting his TR, its rather interesting, and if he posts on UUtah then thats really cool. Here is:

"I was able to get on the Dirty Devil this weekend for a sweet solo run. On Saturday I completed a 1 day decent of the dirty which is 80+ miles from
    the bride at Hanksville to the bridge near the take out at Cataract canyon. I estimate the flow was between 15,000-20,000 cfs. The scenery is epic rivaling and other desert run I've done. The last 20 miles is a box canyon that typically contains a little stream bed gouged out of tamarisks and sediment. When I went on Sat it was wall to wall water to whole way. It was amazing to see a desert canyon alive with so much water. Rare moment in time in a cool place. I would highly, highly recommend it even at low flows. I wanted to stop in places and check out some of the side canyons (looks like sweet hiking) but was too busy paddling my ass off so that I didn't run out of water and get stuck in the canyon. I camped Sat night near the bridge close to Cat(aract Canyon). The next day the river had dropped 10 ft, down to about 2000 cfs.

People at the hole-in-the wall gas station said Lake Powell climbed 3.5 feet in 20 hours. They also said it was the highest the dirty devil had run since 1957. I got a ride from a group who did Cat and they said it went from 6500 to 35,000 while they were on the river.

At this flow it was class 3, mainly 6-8 foot sand waves and two class 4s. Not exactly the gnar but still a once in a life time flow.

Sam "

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Found a spot on the side of the road where the water was undercutting the road.
    http://image14.webshots.com/14/5/78/...0GyYQWQ_fs.jpg
    Link not working

From nothing to almost 5,000 cfs back to nothing. Damn, I wish I could have seen it.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WOW!

We'll be in the swell and Cap Reef(I think!) around the 18/19th.. I wonder what it'll be like down there? I'll be sure to take plenty of pics.

Those spikes were observed everywhere. I down around Green River/Moab on Saturday/Sunday, the Swasey Rapid (Upper Green River take out) was washed out and people were stranded there until heavy equipment came in to rescue them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Those spikes were observed everywhere. I down around Green River/Moab on Saturday/Sunday, the Swasey Rapid (Upper Green River take out) was washed out and people were stranded there until heavy equipment came in to rescue them.
    Stefan and I were down in the Escalante Wednesday thru Sunday to do CHoprock, Neon and the Bakers. We camped on a bench just up Neon from the mouth. On Thursday morning, we hiked to the head of Choprock, but with thunder and lightening off to the west, it seemed a bit to much like russian roullette to drop in, so we decided to spend the rest of the afternoon scouting an entrance to upper Neon, which we found. It rained moderately, and Neon developed a pretty good flow, and we felt we made the right decision not to enter Choprock. Thursday night, it rained almost all night, and we could hear lower Neon raging below our site. Friday morning it rained very intensely for two half hour periods and merely strongly for another few hours. From the water filling my cup left outside, I estimated that it rained at least 5 inches. The rain finally stopped in the afternoon, and I got out of the tent. Lower Neon was flowing around 500-1000cfs. No canyoneering today! A couple of hours later, Neon stopped flowing and started backing up, looking like a lake at the lower end. We assumed there was a dam formed lower near the mouth. We climbed up on the rim between lower Neon and the Escalante to see what was going on. The sight from the rim was the most astonishing thing I have ever seen outdoors. The Escalante was raging windgate wall to wingate wall, around 400 feet wide at the mouth of Neon. It must have been at least 30,000cfs. It certainly more than I have ever seen the Colorado or Green rivers.

The next day dawned perfectly clear, and we headed up to do Neon. It was of course full of water, and had some flow still. Rappeling through the Golden Cathedral in a waterfall was pretty cool. On Sunday we did Choprock, which was amazing with all of the water. It also still had a flow. It also had several more logjams than the previous times I have done it, a couple of them pretty difficult to get over. Monday morning, the Escalante was way down and we had no problem crossing it, and hiking back to our car at Egypt. Crossing 25 mile wash on the Egypt road was brutal. In fact there was no road in sight 75ft on either side of the wash. We just barely made it in the 4runner after a fair amount of "road work".
    nat smale

I hope one of you had a camera.... pictures of this would be fun

I have never seen anything like it. This was a 100 year storm. Rivers (not creeks!) almost 1000 feet high were pouring off all the cliffs in Capitol Reef National Park. I was afraid to take out my camera, but had to for one shot.

The campground in Capitol Reef itself was a river. Cliffs were collapsing as well with landslides galore. Parts of Hanksville (supposedly the 2nd driest place in the state) were under 5 feet of water and a family had to be rescued by hovercraft. Every backcountry road was closed and highway 24 was washed out in one place and buried by debri in others. That morning rivers were also flowing along the highway to Moab.

Another storm hit Monday when we were hiking out even though when we left they claimed 20% chance of rain. More flooding, but we got out of there as fast as we could. Dozens of waterfalls were spilling off the cliffs in Chimney Rock Canyon.

The storm in Hanksville produced 3.00 inches of rain on the 7th alone, plus quite a bit more on the other dates. This record was 8 times the old record for the date and almost double the all time record for any date on any day of the year. Records in Hanksville go back to 1898.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

You folks who were in the middle of this storm are killing me if you didn't have a camara. Like Shane said, a few photos would be very nice. Please?
    Life is Good

I'll post a good one tomorrow. I actually had two cameras, but neither was waterproof.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    You folks who were in the middle of this storm are killing me if you didn't have a camara. Like Shane said, a few photos would be very nice. Please?
    Stefan had a camera and took some photos. There should be some good ones of the Escalante from the ridge a couple hundred feet above. He'll probably post some when he gets back to Boston.
    nat smale

You guys should really invest in Pentax WP camera. The best thing I have bought so far. If you like any sports activity with water around, this camera is a life saver. I use mine on rafting/kayaking trips, used it going through Cheesebox with Ice and the gang, use it during the rain and fishing. I even took it down Colorado river last weekend, when the river was filled with silt. My camera was covered in mud and water, but was taking movies and pics none stop!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    You guys should really invest in Pentax WP camera. The best thing I have bought so far. If you like any sports activity with water around, this camera is a life saver. I use mine on rafting/kayaking trips, used it going through Cheesebox with Ice and the gang, use it during the rain and fishing. I even took it down Colorado river last weekend, when the river was filled with silt. My camera was covered in mud and water, but was taking movies and pics none stop!

What model do you have?