Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash Floods every where.

Flash Floods every where.

Highway 24 in Capitol Reef is partically washed out and has been reduced to one lane. The area has received nearly 3" of rain.

The entire San Rafael Swell and Robbers Roost area is a quagmire. All washes are running and the desert has standing water.

Raining hard in Cedar City. East Zion is seeing some massive flooding.

Cedar Mesa is getting slammed.

Moab has been hit hard.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FLOOD WARNING
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SALT LAKE CITY UT
    204 PM MDT FRI OCT 6 2006

UTC007-015-017-025-031-039-041-055-070800-204 PM MDT FRI OCT 6 2006

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SALT LAKE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WARNING FOR RIVERS AND STREAMS IN THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES..
    CARBON
    EMERY
    GARFIELD
    KANE
    EASTERN PIUTE
    EASTERN SANPETE
    MANTI
    EASTERN SEVIER
    WAYNE

* UNTIL 200 AM MDT SATURDAY

* STEADY RAINFALL BEGINNING ON THURSDAY MORNING CONTINUES TO FALL OVER THE WARN AREA AS OF FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THIS LOW INTENSITY LONG DURATION EVENT HAS FILLED ALL TRIBUTARIES...INCLUDING SLOT CANYONS AND DRY WASHES IN ADDITION TO MAINSTEM RIVERS. THIS RAINFALL IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. AS A RESULT...WATERWAYS IN THE WARN AREA ARE FORECAST TO REMAIN AT VERY DANGEROUS LEVELS.

* SIGNIFICANT RIVER RISES HAVE BEEN OBSERVED OVER THE WARNED AREA DURING THE PAST 8 HOURS. ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAINFALL IS ANTICIPATED THROUGH THE NIGHTTIME HOURS...FUELING HIGH RIVER FLOWS. AS THE RAINFALL DECREASES AT THAT TIME...IT WILL REQUIRE ADDITIONAL TIME FOR THE WATERWAYS TO DECREASE TO LOWER SAFER LEVELS.

PLEASE USE PRUDENT JUDGEMENT WHEN VENTURING NEAR THESE DANGEROUS WATERS. MOST WATERWAYS IN THE AREA ARE FLOWING VERY SWIFT...COLD...AND DANGEROUS. FLOODING MAY OCCUR IN AREAS WHERE RAINFALL HAS CEASED.

FLASH FLOOD WATCH

FLOOD WATCH
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SALT LAKE CITY UT
    1216 PM MDT FRI OCT 6 2006

WASATCH PLATEAU/BOOK CLIFFS-CASTLE COUNTRY-SAN RAFAEL SWELL-CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST MOUNTAINS-HENRY MOUNTAINS-UTAHS DIXIE AND ZION NATIONAL PARK-SOUTH CENTRAL UTAH-GLEN CANYON RECREATION AREA/LAKE POWELL-1216 PM MDT FRI OCT 6 2006

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM MDT THIS EVENING..

THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR

* PORTIONS OF CENTRAL UTAH AND SOUTHERN UTAH...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN CENTRAL UTAH...CASTLE COUNTRY...SAN RAFAEL SWELL AND WASATCH PLATEAU/BOOK CLIFFS. IN SOUTHERN UTAH...CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST MOUNTAINS...GLEN CANYON RECREATION AREA/LAKE POWELL...HENRY MOUNTAINS...SOUTH CENTRAL UTAH AND UTAHS DIXIE AND ZION NATIONAL PARK.

* UNTIL 9 PM MDT THIS EVENING

* THIS FLASH FLOOD INCLUDES THE TOWNS OF PRICE...GREEN RIVER...HANKSVILLE...KANAB AND ST GEORGE.

* A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WILL MOVE THROUGH THE WATCH AREA THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. ABUNDANT MOISTURE AHEAD OF THE LOW PRESSURE WILL SPAWN NUMEROUS...AND AT TIMES HEAVY SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.. THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THIS EVENING. HEAVY RAINFALL WILL LIKELY PRODUCE FLASH FLODDING...ESPECIALLY IN AREAS THAT RECEIVED SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL ON THURSDAY.

A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP THAT LEAD TO FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS BE ISSUED.

FLASH FLOOD
    CAPITOL REEF NP
    WAYNE UT LAW ENFORCEMENT

HWY 24 UNDCERCUT...ONE LANE WASHED OUT. WATER RUNNING OVER ROADWAY EAST OF PARK. GRAND WASH IS FLOODED AS WELL. RAINFALL TOTAL IN CAPITOL REEF NP 2.78 INCHES

It makes me want to jump in the car and go observe the destruction. I always loved mother nature in action, especially flashfloods. Problem is, even with four wheel, the Swell and Roost are impassable with this kind of stuff. I'll bet SUWA is either not getting into the Swell, or if they are in, they sure as hell ain't comin out

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    It makes me want to jump in the car and go observe the destruction. I always loved mother nature in action, especially flashfloods.
    Me too, this is why I wish I lived in Sourthern Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    I'll bet SUWA is either not getting into the Swell, or if they are in, they sure as hell ain't comin out
    Ha ha take that hippies!

James

I've been stuck in the Swell more then once..... it ain't any fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I've been stuck in the Swell more then once..... it ain't any fun.
    Besides the LWC photos, do you have any other pics/vids of flash floods?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Somebody was telling me they watched a clip on TV (The Men's Channel) a while back...

It showed 2-3 guys camping in a canyon, and in the morning they heard this loud rumbling up the canyon. About a minute later the camera looks up canyon, and sees this wall of water and logs rushing towards them. They shout to one another to get up the F-in wall, which they do. But the last guy up gets swept away. They were even all tied together to the wall.

Anybody know where we can find this?

Wow, check this.
    4 feet of water in some areas of Hanksville. I cant even fathom what the canyons of the swell are like right now.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=546520

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/get...e=1&banner=off

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Here are some spectacular pictures of a Zion Flashflood

Zion Canyon Flashflood
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/flash_zion.htm

I posted some White Canyon and Fry Canyon flashflood pics on uutah a while back. You can view them here.

White Canyon Flashflood
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3125

Fry Canyon Flashflood
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3128

Flash Flood Traps Children in Bus
    October 6th, 2006 @ 4:48pm

(KSL News) -- In Wayne county, heavy rain has caused -flash floods -- putting much of the town of Hanksville under nearly four feet of water.

A flash flood has trapped school children on a bus near Hanksville.

According to public safety officials, the kids were on their way home when the bus became surrounding by high water, even though it remains on dry land. The children range from 6th to 12th graders, and while the bus is on dry land, it cannot move because it's surrounded by water. Public safety officials said the bus driver is waiting for the water to recede and then will drive the kids to safety. We also have word that homes in the area are being evacuated.

Jeanie Jensen, a resident of Tavaputs Ranch, near Price tells us they have received over 5 inches of rain since Thursday morning. There is water and debris over Highway 24 between Cainville and Hanksville, as well as on Highwy 95, south of Hanksville. Capitol Reef Highway 24 has been undercut. One lane is washed out and the Grand Wash is Flooded.

More storms are expected in Northern Utah as well.

Pictures sent to KSL show an empty truck in Washington County being washed away.

Highway 24 is now closed

Storm Pounds Utah from North to South
    October 6th, 2006 @ 10:20pm
    KSL Team Coverage

A major storm is pounding almost every part of Utah tonight. Torrential rain is ravaging the hills above Layton where fires have wiped away groundcover. Several families have evacuated their homes.

In south central Utah, Wayne County is taking the brunt of the storm. Roads are washed out, buildings are damaged and a busload of schoolchildren found themselves stranded for a time. Hanksville seems to have been hit the hardest. It's stopped raining now, but for a time, we're told, it was ankle deep.

A school bus full of kids was stranded on Highway 24, between two washed out areas of the road. Rescue crews were called to get the kids out. Also, a trailer home was knocked off its foundation by rushing water. A rescue crew was called to that scene too. At the Best Value Hotel in Hanksville, water covered the floors of the rooms. The damage kept them from renting out any rooms. They used sandbags and tarps in an effort to stop more water from getting in.

Ed Bahr: (Reporter: Have you ever seen anything like that?) "No, I haven't. It was pretty incredible. We did okay until about 11:00. Then about 11:00 it broke over the dam on the main irrigation ditch.

Witnesses say water was eight to 12 feet over the top of that dam. Water covered Highway 24 and has even eroded it in some spots. It is closed right now. UHP is on both sides of the closure, directing traffic. Several homes have been evacuated in Layton because of fears from flooding due to a hillside that was stricken with fire earlier this year. Crews have sandbagged the area in an effort to protect the neighborhood.

The rain was falling hard around 6:00 tonight. City officials are very concerned about the danger of flooding because of the fire. So far there have been no reports of serious damage, but authorities decided to evacuate several homes in the area around 7:00 tonight, as a precaution. James Petre, Layton Police: "We started an evacuation that affected about seven to 10 homes, had those folks go down to Layton High School and meet there. During that time the weather let up some. Davis County flood control was able to come up, assess the situation; they were able to determine those homes were not in any danger at that time."

Volunteers were called out at about 8:00 to start filling sandbags. Within an hour, enough sandbags were placed along the danger spots that they feel they're in pretty good shape for now. While they may have dodged a bullet with flooding, there is still a lot of worry that the soil on the mountainside could be oversaturated. More rain could potentially cause a mudslide still.

Five to seven homes were also evacuated due to a backed up culvert. Rocks and storm debris from a waterlogged culvert has closed Big Cottonwood Canyon too. Crews tell us it's covering the road and they're trying to get bulldozers to clear it by tonight. Floodwaters are also threatening the town of Oak City in Millard County. The "Devil's Den" fire scorched thousands of acres in the area last August, taking with it ground cover. Heavy rains have been pouring down there all day, and tonight volunteers are filling sandbags and putting them along streams and around homes.

Darn. I wanted to go to Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse.

Sounds like I couldn't even get there if I wanted too...
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Some Pics from KSL.com show you how crazy this thing was. Looks like it hit hard all pver the state.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Poison Spider - Moab

Bullfrog - Lake Powell

Good Hell!! Thanks for passing the pictures along...

Attached Images Attached Images   

Just talked to my Grandpa today up here in O-Town, and he said he still had 35 acers of hay down. It will probably still be there in the spring....
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I have a video that Dave Rankin made of the first wall of water after a rainstorm in Wahweap drainage, if someone could tell me where I can upload a 17 meg. video file I will upload it.