Thread: Pine Creek-water level

Pine Creek-water level

I am heading down to zion to do pine creek this weekend, anyone know the water level?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It ought to be pretty high if it storms down there as much as I've heard it will the next couple of days.

I haven't been up on the east side this week - avoiding the construction - but we got some heavy rain today in the canyon. The Virgin was not running too high this evening yet but was running pretty red.

Pine Creek. Yesterday, Thursday, a friend and I did Spry even tho there was a 60% chance of Flashing. That was because we knew the route and where it was tight and where we could escape to shelter. Also, Spry's headwater area is small and close to the route so we could see bad weather coming in.

Pine creek can take water from 15 or so miles east of the park. When we got to the bottom of Spry and saw Pine creek, it was flash flooding big time! A huge flow of dark silty water and lots of dirty foam all the way to the bridge where we were parked. I'd never seen a flood when it wasn't raining right above me. Pretty cool. Then the massive rain wall that was hitting the SE part of the park hit us at 5:33. We got to the car at 5:34, so 1 minute took out all our efforts to keep dry that day.

Also - remember that there is road construction going on at the east side of the tunnel and they have closed the overlook trail and it is a pain to get to Pine Creek.

Finally, there is another big round of storms here today, and more rain for the next few days.

Be Careful Out There!

Ya, I think you're pretty much screwed if you're looking to do a slot canyon this weekend. It has been a downpour here in Monticello since 10:00 last night, and shows no signs of letting up. I'm pretty sure we received close to an inch already. Guys here at work who live in Moab said they got clobbered last night too.

Be safe out there!!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Rained all day yesterday and most of the night here in Vegas. The weather always heads straght for Utah when it's done here. If you go take an intertube that way if it flashes you can ride the wave out.

I am running a West Water canyon (rafting) on Sunday. The utahrafters forum was saying they are expecting a HUGE spike of flow from the rains and dam drains......so I guess it will be dangerous everywhere.

I thought westwater was easier at medium flows. MHO.

The weather service is now reporting debris across the road on highways 24 and 95 . . . and that the flow in the Dirty Devil jumped from 100 cfs at midnight to 10,000 currently.

Look at the bright side, with high water thats one less rappel.

I just tried to pull up the USGS streamflow flow for the Dirty Devil and the equipment is down. If a huge flood came through it could have taken out the gaging stations.

I also checked the San Rafael river. it's flowing at 1820 cfs. It normally flows about 10 cfs this time of year.

Total downpour in Cedar City for the past half hour or so and clouds all around.

This sounds like a good weekend to stay inside and romance the wife

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    This sounds like a good weekend to stay inside and romance the wife
    Yea I guess I need to get me one of those!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I just tried to pull up the USGS streamflow flow for the Dirty Devil and the equipment is down. If a huge flood came through it could have taken out the gaging stations.
    How about these.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images