Thread: Snowbasin Helmetcam video

Snowbasin Helmetcam video

Helmet cam video is done.

Warning, it's pretty shaky. Time for new suspension on the bike.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

sombeech,

It's not too shaky. About what I would expect from Mt Bike.
    Having a subject in the shot like the rider ahead of you really makes you focus on that so you don't notice the shaking. I have also notice that if you have something stable (relative to the camera) such as the visor on your helmet in the shot it seems to add stability to the imagery.

Looks like you captured some good color. Is this shot with the HC-32?

Have you tried shooting with the camera facing to the rear?
    My best shots are that way. You have to pactice turning your head the wong way on turns so the camera tracks the person behind you.

I stopped using google video. It stomps on the image too hard and makes great video look crappy. Have you tried youtube or myspace?
    Both seem to present the video much better than google IMHO.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    Is this shot with the HC-32?
    Not yet. It's on order though.

I think I need to switch back to my old blue helmet. It seemed like I got steadier shots with it.

I'm thinking the cam wobbles too much on my black helmet.

I haven't tried the rearview shot yet, but have thought about it all year long. As soon as I get the LANC hooked up, I'll start experimenting more. I've been too anxious to get the "first" footage of the trail, so next year I'll start some different shots.

I also like the shots where the camera is side-mounted on the front fork. That fork arm in the frame would add stability, and you could get a shot really low on the trail.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think the most interesting and stable shots I have seen on an Mt. Bike were from a cam mounted on the frame below or on the seat post point rearward.

On a full suspension bike the rear tire appears to bob in and out of the shot adding a steadicam look to the imagery.

The following bike has to be almost clipping you for really good images with the Wide Angle. Even 10 feet back makes them look small. The best shots have the rider filling the screen and gives the viewer a real sense of being there in the middle of the action.

The main mistake I made was thinking that the viewer was really getting a lot from the scenery, when in fact they are really focused on the other rider and the scenery is just a cool looking backdrop for the action.

So now I go for more focus on the action than the scenery. The more I fill the scene with the other rider, the less I notice shaking or vibration.

.....he says as he trudges of to the Mac to download 6 new tapes shot last week.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

The main mistake I made was thinking that the viewer was really getting a lot from the scenery, when in fact they are really focused on the other rider and the scenery is just a cool looking backdrop for the action.
    True. Even when I ride the trail, I'm focused more on the trail than the scenery, and I believe the viewer is doing the same. I tried to keep the rider up close in most of my shots.

I really want to try mounting the cam to my frame. I'll have to wait until next week when my new camcorder is in.

Only mount the bullet on the bike.
    The vibration will kill the mini-dv.
    Carry it on you.

Seen a few die an early death.

Another great shot is mounted on the bars looking up at the rider (beware of the nostril shot) and on the rear tiangle support looking forward catching your foot and pedals.

Only mount the bullet on the bike.
    Yeah, I was thinking I could even wear my backpack up front, to put the camcorder closer to the cam.
    Any suggestions for mounting bracket on the round tube?

I have a Manfrotto Superclamp that I use on the ATV racks.

This is just the clamp. It has a hole in it that accepts a standard 5/8" stud.

I also use a Magic Arm in the clamp that allows me to place the camera just about anywhere. It works okay but has a tendancy to vibrate when fully extended.
    I usually use it fairly collapsed but it allows amazing placement.

Alternativiely you can get a Ram camera mount. It not as versatile but will work well. http://www.ram-mount.com/camera_mount/camera_mounts.htm

Viospport has a bunch of options here: http://www.viosport.com/store/custom...hp?cat=245#246

I use one of these fanny packs. Seems to fit everything well and its not too big. Lowepro Orion Mini.

I have a Manfrotto Superclamp that I use on the ATV racks.

This is just the clamp. It has a hole in it that accepts a standard 5/8" stud.

I also use a Magic Arm in the clamp that allows me to place the camera just about anywhere. It works okay but has a tendancy to vibrate when fully extended.
    I usually use it fairly collapsed but it allows amazing placement.

Hey RedMan, I couldn't find that adjustable arm on that link. Is that where you got it? That would be great to mount to my seat post, looking backwards.

Or, is there anywhere local that you can get accessories like this? Thanks.

I went out and bought that Manfrotto SuperClamp. They had it at Wasatch Photographic, on 3900 South. 32 bucks, pretty good.

sombeech,

I stopped using google video. It stomps on the image too hard and makes great video look crappy. Have you tried youtube or myspace?
    Both seem to present the video much better than google IMHO.
    Awesome video...gives me a new destination next summer.

One trick I use when I prepare a video for youtube is when I'm done editing, I save the video to a higher res like 1280 x 720 HD...the Wasatch one ended up being 600MB. Then I put it into Windows Movie Maker and adjust it to save the movie to 100MB. It seems to keep it sharper when youtube does whatever they do to it...or maybe its my imagination. I know when i send them one that I saved as low res it comes out really blurry on their end. All you have to do is keep it under 10 min and 100MB {Finally found a use for Windows Movie Maker}

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker
    One trick I use when I prepare a video for youtube is when I'm done editing, I save the video to a higher res like 1280 x 720 HD...the Wasatch one ended up being 600MB. Then I put it into Windows Movie Maker and adjust it to save the movie to 100MB. It seems to keep it sharper when youtube does whatever they do to it...or maybe its my imagination. I know when i send them one that I saved as low res it comes out really blurry on their end. All you have to do is keep it under 10 min and 100MB {Finally found a use for Windows Movie Maker}
    Yeah, I've got to re-save this one. YouTube suggests you save it in the 320 X 240 resolution, and I thought if I did it bigger, it would look better. That's not the case. I've got to recompress, and reupload this one. It looks like crap.