Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9th largest known arch in the world discoved in Dinosaur NM

9th largest known arch in the world discoved in Dinosaur NM

Just in case any Uutah members might be interested:

Outlaw Arch is a large arch in NW Colorado. While climbing Outlaw Peak and descending Outlaw Arch Canyon, we (AJ, Stephen Ho, Mike Kelsey, and I) discovered something special by surprise. What we discovered in the canyon and on a bench on the side of Outlaw Peak was a large natural arch. We knew it was big, but didn't have time to measure the arch. Last week, I returned with Jeff Foxe and got accurate measurements on the arch. At 206 feet, it turned out to be the 9th largest known arch in the world, and the largest "new discovery" reported in the United States since Wrather Arch (Paria River Canyon) was first reported in the 1950's. Only one arch since then has been reported to be over 200 feet and it is in Africa in 2004. One may wonder how an arch could be hidden for so long (until 2006!), but there are three main reasons.

1. Since it stands against the cliff wall, it really isn
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice find

I assume you have registered this arch with the NABS? If not I can hook you up, I've registered several of my finds with them.

I assume you have registered this arch with the NABS?
    I've been talking with them, and just sent the official measurements to them today.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Cool

Here are a couple of the better spans I've registered with the NABS... none of them come close to making any top ten list.

Arscenic Arch

Tinky also registered Winky next to it.

Storm Window

Cracked Window

Outlaw Arch Canyon?

Scott, I guess the name Outlaw Arch Canyon begs the question; did you name the canyon (and the new record-long arch), or is there another, smaller Outlaw Arch for which the canyon is named?
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Sweeeet!!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Scott, I guess the name Outlaw Arch Canyon begs the question; did you name the canyon (and the new record-long arch), or is there another, smaller Outlaw Arch for which the canyon is named?
    The canyon drains into the Yampa River just below Outlaw Park, which is the nearest named feature. Perhaps uncreative, but I've just been using the generic name of Outlaw Arch, Outlaw Arch Canyon, (Outlaw Canyon (which is a seperate canyon to the south), and Outlaw Peak, which is the big butte above and between the two. Outlaw is just a generic name, and none of those features actually have real names yet.

Here are a couple of the better spans I've registered with the NABS... none of them come close to making any top ten list.
    On the way back from the canyon/big arch, we actually found a natural bridge (no measurement attemped) and another arch which measured 46 feet. Unfortunately, it was almost dark before we found the arch, so we didn't get that great of photos.

Of course, it's the big one that will get attention.

I don't know.... the smaller arch appears to be a much prettier arch. An arch that photographs well often gets a lot of attention. Mesa Arch in Canyonlands is a good example. Mesa is not really much of an arch but it results in some spectacular pictures so it is very popular.

Mesa Arch

If your new arch makes the top ten it will get some visitation for that reason alone, but from a beauty stand point the smaller arch looks much more inviting from the one limited picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    The canyon drains into the Yampa River just below Outlaw Park, which is the nearest named feature. Perhaps uncreative, but I've just been using the generic name of Outlaw Arch, Outlaw Arch Canyon, (Outlaw Canyon (which is a seperate canyon to the south), and Outlaw Peak, which is the big butte above and between the two. Outlaw is just a generic name, and none of those features actually have real names yet.
    Uncreative, perhaps, but not without some spice. Headline: Outlaw Arch Evades Discovery. New World Record Arch Hides in Colorado Side Canyon.

It was confusing that there was a place called "Outlaw Arch Canyon" that was named for the as yet undiscovered "Outlaw Arch." Quite the lucky bit of cartographic foresight to have a canyon named for an arch that nobody knew was there. I just needed to figure out which direction the stream of names was flowing without guessing. I wouldn't be surprised to see your chosen names on the next revision of the USGS quad.

I wouldn't be surprised to see your chosen names on the next revision of the USGS quad.
    Maybe, but you have to be careful naming things. Usually I go generic and use a nearby feature that is already named, but in a book I wrote I couldn

If the canyon is called Outlaw Arch Canyon it's obvious someone knew and arch lived in the canyon.

NABS has only been recording arches since about 1988 and there are millions that have been discovered that are not in their database.

I have also noticed the NABS is a small non-profit organization that is really run by a bunch of arch lovers out of the goodness of their hearts. That is why I say that I registered and arch and not that I discovered it. I really doubt I have discovered many new arches, but I did register a bunch that were not in their database.

I do have access to the NABS database. I also have a TOPO file I created that lists every registered arch in both Utah and AZ that is in the NABS database. I'll probably create a CO or maybe world TOPO file when I get a chance. I've considered making these files available through the Climb-Utah website if there is enough interest. I could also set them up so they are downloadable in some type of standard GPS format.

If the canyon is called Outlaw Arch Canyon it's obvious someone knew and arch lived in the canyon.
    "Outlaw Arch Canyon" is just my name for the canyon system, but anyway, if someone wants too see which canyon it is, it is marked on the map below:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...ad27&layer=DRG

That is the canyon and the arch is in the lower part of the canyon, between the two highest rappels, and not that far from the river.

The canyon I'm calling plain old "Outlaw Canyon" is the next sytem south. Perhaps the nomenclature is too confusing and we could come up with a better name later.

PS, what I am calling "Outlaw Peak" is Peak 6489 between the two canyons.

It's definately the hardest arch find and to get to that I've ever been to.

I don't think it will ever become a tourist attraction. In addition to being in a technical canyon, the approach route to the canyon and back out is by far the most complicated of any of the canyons I've been to. I had been trying to figure out how to get into and out of the system for three years now, and feel lucky that we just happened to accidently stumble on a viable route.

[quote=Scott Patterson] I just tagged my wife

Lot's of places get named like that.
    Yep, but it's considered bad manners now days. You can apparently only officially name objects after dead people and not living ones!

The canyon I'm calling plain old "Outlaw Canyon" is the next sytem south. Perhaps the nomenclature is too confusing and we could come up with a better name later.
    Yeah... that's a bit confusing....

If it's really the ninth biggest arch call it Canyon #9

Kind of a play on words cause Wild Bill was killed in the #9 saloon

If it's really the ninth biggest arch call it Canyon #9
    Denver Post is running a quick story. For $500 I'll tell them the name of the arch is Climb-utah.com Arch and the name of the canyon Climb-utah.com Canyon. What do you say?

PS, just kidding.

For $500 I'll tell them....
    Tell them the name of the arch is "Shane" up Outlaw canyon....

And I'll buy ya a beer

Heck.... I'd make up some great story just to mess with the media....

There's an arch in the Wichita Mountains in southwestern Oklahoma that I have visited since I was in high school. No one ever seemed to notice or name it, so when my son posed under it two years ago, we started calling it Mitchell Arch after him.

-Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images