Thread: "Granary Canyon", Moab, UT - Information

"Granary Canyon", Moab, UT - Information

http://www.deserthighlights.com/trip...ay.htm#granary
    The above link is an advertisement for what the guide group "Desert High Lights" calls Granary Canyon. I'd like to explore this canyon independent of a guide service when I'm in the area in a couple of weeks (party of two). Anybody have any information on this canyon. I can find nothing more on the internet, but I suspect it is well known under a different name.
    Thanks much.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Someone should at least be able to post a good guess from this picture. If that is a large number of rock fins in the background then only a couple of places could match this picture.

Com'on folks.... this is a guess the location with a real payout

Desert Highlights has a number of slots around the Moab area that they are keeping under lock and key.

I hope you find it. Slot canyons shouldn't be "owned" by anybody, regardless of if they are running a business.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Desert Highlights has a number of slots around the Moab area that they are keeping under lock and key.

I hope you find it. Slot canyons shouldn't be "owned" by anybody, regardless of if they are running a business.
    I agree, but on the other hand, it's their right if they don't want to tell everyone where it is. They can't keep you out once you find it, but they don't have to tell you where it is.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm not sure as the photos are too small to be clear, but Behind the Rocks was what I thought of instead of Fiery Furnace, but you could be right about that.

If it was the Fiery Furnace however, the canyon would have to be in the area towards Devils Garden or Eagle Park (due to the positioning of the La Sals in the photo).

I could be way off base, but my guess is that Granary Canyon is actually one of the ones to the southeast of Arths Pasture and that stuff in the background is actually Behind the Rocks. Just a wild guess, and I could be very wrong, but it sure looks like that area.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Yup you're correct Scott. I didn't see the La Sals in the background in the first pic. Given that new info, there are a number of slots that could qualify.

Check out all of the slots in that little patch of land there just west of Moab.

It could be any one of those side canyons, and I'd be willing to bet that any one of them would be a great slot canyon hike.

Bull Canyon
    Dry Fork
    Sevenmile Canyons
    Long Canyon
    Little Canyon
    Day Canyon

Take your pick...this area is virtually untapped!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yep, the second photo gives more away.

Could be a clue:

Total Distance: 6mi/10km

Total Ascent: 229ft/70m

Total Descent: 2020ft/616m

Min & Max Elevation: 3978ft/1212m & 5790ft/1765m
    Now, I think I know which one it might be, but I'll let you guys figure it out.

Based on the elevations, assuming they are correct on the website, it is definately along the river below Moab and SE of Arths Pasture. The 4000 foot countour goes through Moab itself.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Damn!!! I'm seriously thinking of checking out some of these soon! I hadn't considered the area west of Moab, but that area is a slot canyon goldmine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Behind the Rocks was what I thought of instead of Fiery Furnace,
    My first guess from the picture was also Behind the Rocks. By mentioning sandstone fins in the background I meant there are only a couple such places in Moab.... not sure which is correct.

Actually here are two BIG clues.....

Length: 10 to 12 hours roundtrip from Moab (includes 90 minutes round-trip driving time). Trips depart at 7:00 AM.

Important Note: We must do a car shuttle for this hike. Your vehicle should preferably be 4WD. Any 4WD will do. Many high-clearance, 2WD vehicles will do OK if driven skillfully. And , of course, rental cars will do OK regardless of skill.

So its 45 minutes from downtown Moab and has a rough dirt road that requires a shuttle.

I'm forseeing one of these will show up on the Climb-Utah website at some point.

If not, Kelsey will probably publish this entire suite of canyons in his newest edition.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Since Desert Highlights is now guiding Leprechaun and Blarney..... which are my canyons.... we'll consider any exchange of locations a fair trade.

hmm, sat. images don't entirely reveal a slot gold mine. technical canyons perhaps, but nothing nearly as impressive as the stuff elsewhere. some narrow stuff, but not a ton

am i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I'm forseeing one of these will show up on the Climb-Utah website at some point. If not, Kelsey will probably publish this entire suite of canyons in his newest edition.
    Contrary to propaganda..... I don't publish every canyon.

For example: Some of Desert Highlights canyons I don't publish for environmental/access reasons. I think everyone knows at least one of DH's canyons travels through the Fiery Furnace. I'm afraid if too many folks start doing the canyon the National Park Service will restrict the Furnace to ranger guided tours only.... and then we all lose.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    hmm, sat. images don't entirely reveal a slot gold mine. technical canyons perhaps, but nothing nearly as impressive as the stuff elsewhere. some narrow stuff, but not a ton
    Never know until you go!

Sat images aren't the best resource for finding slots, and sat. imagery and mapping can be deceiving. Technical canyons are what I MEANT (not necessarily slots).

i agree that you never know till you go, but sat images DO show when canyons are quite wide and if they pinch up rapidly.

here are two areas that look promising. is this what you all are looking at?
    everything else looks pretty wide from sat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Never know until you go!
    True.

Sat images aren't the best resource for finding slots, and sat. imagery and mapping can be deceiving. Technical canyons are what I MEANT (not necessarily slots).
    I've poked around that area actually quite a bit, but not since the mid-90's or so. It's extremely popular with mountain bikers and 4wds too. So far I haven't found anything that would be considered a great slot, but the main attraction is all the arches (and some big ones such as Jeep, Sky, Corona, Bowtie, etc). All the slots I know of in the area are just very short. Behind the Rocks has a pretty nice one, but some bushwhacking.

There are actually many slots are around Moab, but they all seem to be short, at least all the ones I

Which sat. imagery are you using? It looks awesome!!

those two were from google