Thread: Finally Back From NYC

Finally Back From NYC

Hey y'all,
    I have recently moved back to this wonderful state. I have been living in the Bronx for the past three years. Although I did some hiking and backpacking in upstate New York, it is just not the same. I have been able to bag a peak on each trip back home, which just about kills me everytime from the thin air.

And seriously what gives with this weather. I finally get back and the weather was been horrible. I am getting a little stir crazy. I think I am going to head up Mt. Oly for my yearly trip tomorrow afternoon no-matter the weather.

My primary reason for the post though is for some advice. I was lucky enough to talk my Medical School into paying for most of a trip to Nepal next Spring. I will be spending about three months there working in a mountain health outpost and in the Kathmandu hospital. I will be doing some treking of course while I am there and I plan on hopefully getting a top some baby peak or two while I am there.

I have not done too much winter hiking or climbing, but I think this winter I would like to get some experience using crampons, ropes, axe etc. Most of my outdoor budies are now away in grad school in far off places and I am looking for a group to learn some skills with. I look at a few guide agencies, but I'm not sure they are worth the money.

Also has anybody been treking? What type of gear should I invest in now?? I have about six months before I go, but I would really like to be prepared and in shape before I head off.

Thanks for the amazing website you have here and for any advice anyone can give!!!

Rick Henriksen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Finally Back From NYC

Quote Originally Posted by rickhenriksen3
    And seriously what gives with this weather. I finally get back and the weather was been horrible.
    Yeah, no kidding. The weather turned bad 1 week ago. We're all hoping for a good Indian Summer to come around.

Welcome to the site man. There's plenty o' climbing folks here to give you some good advice. Welcome home.

Yeah I hope the weather warms up next week like their saying. Welcome to the outdoor mecca called Utah and the best resource for Outdoor Recreation in Utah, uutah.com.