Thread: Heaps in October and Bivy bag.

Heaps in October and Bivy bag.

I was poking around the Canyoneering USA store online and have been considering the BD Winter Bivy for many reasons, primarily weight and water resistance. What kind of warmth (if any) does it add to a sleeping bag to have it plugged into this type of Bivy sack? I have a 30 degree down bag (under 2 lbs. yippee)and yes this question is related to my planned Heaps trip in late October. I have read the gear review on the BD website but I would like to here any other real life experience with this bivy sack particularly if you feel it helps the warmth rating of a sleeping bag. Are there better Bivy Bags out there for a late season Heaps trip. Yes, weight and warmth are the primary concerns.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BD winter bivy

I have this bivy sack and I love it! It is so small and light! I recently took this bivy and a 45 degree bag up MT. Nebo. I believe it was around 30 degree air temp at night and I was warm once into my bag and bivy. There was a little bit of snow but not much. I had a thermarest as well. I would not hesitate with this setup in heaps in oct.

Thanks for the info. I just tested out my 30 degree bag with the sac on Friday night up Hobble Creek canyon. I do not know how cold it was but there was frost on the ground. I did cheat a bit and was in a tent. I didn't think my 4 year old boy would do the under the stars thing particularly with all the rain that had dumbed on us the prior two days. Anyhoo, I to was toasty warm. My new secret combination.... BD Winter Bivy, Marmot 30 degree bag, foam pad, Advil PM. Slept like a log.
    Life is Good