Thread: Trail Data

Trail Data

Do any of you guys ever GPS out your trails when your riding them? If so I would be interested in trading you for the data.
    Monte
    www.otbpmaps.com
    Your Map Source

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A shovel in one hand and an ice cold beer in the other
    get ahold of kritmonproductions.com he maps all the rides he does on utah.
    Resident Ogden freeride park forum whore

Thanks

Thanks for the information
    Monte
    www.otbpmaps.com
    Your Map Source

A shovel in one hand and an ice cold beer in the other
    no problem
    Resident Ogden freeride park forum whore

Live2ride has done it a few times. Here's his thread on the Little Canada trail:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2201

DickHead
    I think the utah mountain biking trail directions include GPS data
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com

Great

I knew you guys would know where to find the data. Sorry to say I don't do any mountain bike riding so I have a Question: What do you like to have on a topo map when using it to navigate a bike trail?
    Monte
    www.otbpmaps.com
    Your Map Source

DickHead

Re: Great

Quote Originally Posted by welsmj64
    I knew you guys would know where to find the data. Sorry to say I don't do any mountain bike riding so I have a Question: What do you like to have on a topo map when using it to navigate a bike trail?
    Nothing. I take a cue sheet, and compare it to my cyclometer. Distance between turns and turn descriptions (ie: go 1.4 miles, Bear left at the fork, trail turns to double track, go .6 miles singletrack on left). I can fold up a cue sheet and wedge it under the legband on my lycra shorts. And hell, if the directions are simple enough, I can almost memorize them.
    Most of the trails on the Wasatch front are simple out and backs, you can't get lost unless you try. Many in Park city interconnect, but there are signs on most of them.

If you're looking for trail data you can sign up for a free account and try to learn how to find stuff on http://www.motionbased.com live2ride turned me on to it when I was looking for similar information. I think you need to have a paid account to access every publicly accessible trail people have mapped out with their gps and one of the big problems, are poorly named titles, making it difficult to find exactly what you're looking for, and most of the tracks either don't stick to the trail, don't complete the trail, or any other problem you can imagine. Also, you're limited to the number of tracks you can find unless you pay the subscription. If you can learn how to search through their system - it took me about 5 frustrating visits to learn how to do everything, and I'm a web application developer so whoever came up with the UI is on a completely different wavelength from me, otherwise it would've been transparent. They also had some problems with overusage of AJAX slowing down their servers to a crawl, and they didn't support Firefox at all, but they've since fixed those problems. Now I just use it to track my performance, or lack thereof, depending on the day, lol.

Here's my last track: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=1322748

If I don't know a trail, I'll map out the turns with the topo software for my gps, and mark waypoints at trail intersections so I know where to turn.
    Mike

Thanks for the information and the input. My down-loadable GPX file of the waypoints gives you all the turns and such. Now there is a hard copy that can be printed off that gives you the turn locations with a description. As I do some of these I might just post the trail description to see what you all think. Thanks again for the help.
    Monte
    www.otbpmaps.com
    Your Map Source